Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: RO Water  (Read 3994 times)

Offline brewsumore

• Brewmaster
  • Spokane, WA
Re: RO Water
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2017, 08:07:54 pm »
My city tap water does not have any chlorine or chloramines.  So it is already pretty great although it does have fairly high alkalinity.  I brew light pilsners with 50/50 or 75/25 RO/tap water, and occasionally for other beers, but mostly rely on tap water and phosphoric acid (for lighter beers) to get my pH down into range and still end up with very good beer.  That is to say, unless brewing a beer that really benefits from soft, mineral free starting point, I just manipulate my tap water so long as that stays within the guidelines for treatment without adding undesirable flavors.  I don't like the hassle of purchasing bulk water for my 11 gal batches.  I have learned to use plastic, not glass carboys to transfer RO water from the store!

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2017, 07:39:53 am »
My city tap water does not have any chlorine or chloramines.

That's curious. The only water system that I knew of that didn't add a disinfectant was New York City. They have since started disinfecting. Are you sure? It is the law per the Clean Water Act.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline brewsumore

• Brewmaster
  • Spokane, WA
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2017, 01:58:38 pm »
My city tap water does not have any chlorine or chloramines.

That's curious. The only water system that I knew of that didn't add a disinfectant was New York City. They have since started disinfecting. Are you sure? It is the law per the Clean Water Act.

Yep.  I just re-checked.  I'm in a non-municipal (or at least not with the City of Spokane) water district, and our district checks and reports water quality monthly.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2017, 02:00:55 pm by brewsumore »

Offline BrewingBrian

• 1st Kit
  • https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC09ji3_vkMFCVkIkY
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2017, 03:00:38 pm »
Does anyone know if you can buy RO water from a store? Like a Stop and Shop or Walmart or do you need to make it using an RO filter?

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2017, 03:01:54 pm »
Does anyone know if you can buy RO water from a store? Like a Stop and Shop or Walmart or do you need to make it using an RO filter?
Self serve machines are generally RO. I say generally as I have seen simply filtered water a couple of times, but 99.9% of the machines I see are RO.

Offline Philbrew

• Brewmaster
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2017, 06:15:26 pm »
I used to buy RO water from the machine at Walmart and others.  Worked OK for a year but was a bit of a hassle since their (and others around town) maintenance was spotty.  Buy a cheap ($10-$12) TDS meter online and check the water before you fill your jugs.  A year ago I bought an under-counter RO water maker.  Paid for itself in a year and no returning from Walmart with no water for tomorrow's brew day.
Many of us would be on a strict liquid diet if it weren't for pretzels.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2017, 06:19:45 pm »
I used to buy RO water from the machine at Walmart and others.  Worked OK for a year but was a bit of a hassle since their (and others around town) maintenance was spotty.  Buy a cheap ($10-$12) TDS meter online and check the water before you fill your jugs. 

Yep. I target water sub 25ppm TDS. If the machine's water is over that, I go elsewhere.
Jon H.

Offline deadpoetic0077

• Assistant Brewer
  • Noobie
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2017, 08:11:50 am »
I used to buy RO water from the machine at Walmart and others.  Worked OK for a year but was a bit of a hassle since their (and others around town) maintenance was spotty.  Buy a cheap ($10-$12) TDS meter online and check the water before you fill your jugs.  A year ago I bought an under-counter RO water maker.  Paid for itself in a year and no returning from Walmart with no water for tomorrow's brew day.

I usually use the pre packaged distilled (by RO) water in gallon jugs at my local publix. Seems to work pretty well for me. I haven't checked the TDS but I think its more reliable and consistent than a RO machine that hasn't been maintained.

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2017, 04:58:40 pm »
I'm put in a culligan RO system and been great for about 5 years now. Tds always around 13-15ppm.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale