Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Control Panel Wiring  (Read 2207 times)

Offline Mike-Ale

• Cellarman
Control Panel Wiring
« on: May 22, 2017, 08:41:32 pm »
Looking to put a 60 amp gfci in for a 50 amp control panel. What gauge wire should I run to my box. I was thinking of using 6/3?

Offline Wilbur

• Brewmaster
Re: Control Panel Wiring
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2017, 08:46:59 pm »
http://www.cerrowire.com/ampacity-charts

I'd probably look at 4, but here's a manufacturers recommendation.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Howland, Ohio
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2017, 09:26:25 am »
Depends on how long the run is. If you're not over 50' you can get by with 8ga just fine. Make sure it's copper, not aluminum. Also, consider using 8/4. That's how I did mine. That way you can have a 220v supply, and the extra wire will allow you to have a common do you pull 110v. Nice to have on your panel for running pumps, etc... Or add a built in charger your phone.   8)

A man works hard all week, so he doesn't have to wear pants all weekend.

Offline David

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2017, 12:20:51 pm »
Depends on how long the run is. If you're not over 50' you can get by with 8ga just fine. Make sure it's copper, not aluminum. Also, consider using 8/4. That's how I did mine. That way you can have a 220v supply, and the extra wire will allow you to have a common do you pull 110v. Nice to have on your panel for running pumps, etc... Or add a built in charger your phone.   8)

National Electric Code only allows 8 AWG wire to be loaded to 55 amps, wiring needs to be sized to the overcurrent protection, in this case 60 amps, so it should be a 6 AWG.
“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.” -- Henry Ford

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Howland, Ohio
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2017, 06:19:59 am »
But a 60 amp circuit seems like a bit of an overkill.

Offline 69franx

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2017, 12:05:33 pm »

That charger is a nice add weaze

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Control Panel Wiring
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2017, 12:15:42 pm »
I have this in mind on my future panel. Then I figured a gooseneck phone mount would be wise. After I thought of this, I figured i could add some Bluetooth speakers. That turned into a car head unit. Then a head unit with a large touch display. With a touch display I might as well add a raspberry pi in place of PIDs.

All because I thought it would be cool to charge my phone at the panel.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2017, 03:54:15 pm by Stevie »

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Howland, Ohio
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2017, 03:44:02 pm »
It's amazing how these things escalate, isn't it? Too quote my wife "what happened to ' I'm just going to do small two gallon batches on the stove'?"