Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Wireless Audio  (Read 5084 times)

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Wireless Audio
« on: July 15, 2010, 06:51:38 am »
I have a wireless iSymphany stereo system. It works very well though it certainly isn't the best audio system out there. I have a couple extra speakers and it is nice to have sound in several rooms in the house via wireless.

Problem is, the speakers are way more expensive then they are really worth. I have a nice stereo system in my pub room down stairs and I was wondering if there is some sort of a device out there that would let me broadcast wireless from my iSymphany base to this other system without having to spend another $150 bucks on speakers.

Offline bonjour

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Troy, MI, 37mi, 60.9deg AR
Re: Wireless Audio
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2010, 07:36:13 am »
hmm,  sounds like you need an audio geek.

Denny?  know anyone that may help?
Fred Bonjour
Co-Chair Mashing in Michigan 2014 AHA Conference in Grand Rapids, Michigan
AHA Governing Committee; AHA Conference, Club Support & Web Subcommittees

Everything under 1.100 is a 'session' beer ;)

Offline beerocd

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2010, 07:59:43 am »
*Not a certified audio geek*

I went to their site, doesn't seem to have ANY audio out capabilities other than the wireless. I don't know that another wireless receiver would be able to lock on to the signal from this one. You may be able to go in the other direction and line in your ipod to your pub stereo and use a transmitter/reciever pair to go back to your wireless setup assuming you can use multiple outputs on the stereo at once.
The moral majority, is neither.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2010, 09:51:46 am »
hmm,  sounds like you need an audio geek.

Denny?  know anyone that may help?

Well, as a certified lifetime audio geek, I'd just say skip wireless entirely.  IMO, the cost/quality ratio doesn't justify it.  But that ain't gonna help Keith.  Let me look around and see what I can find.  Keith, any idea what frequency your current system operates on?
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline nicneufeld

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2010, 01:04:56 pm »
Most of the cost probably isn't in the speakers, but in the wireless receiver built into the speakers.  If they made a receiver for the wireless signal with a line-level output you could run that into your system but I'd bet it would still be somewhat expensive.  Not that the components are particularly expensive, but you are paying for the design and R&D involved, the wireless transmission and receipt is their "special sauce".

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2010, 01:15:34 pm »
I found this on the Transmitter specs.  No other help from me though.

4GHz transmission section

Number of RF channels:3
Channel Frequency:
                    CH1: 2412MHz
                    CH2: 2438MHz
                    CH3: 2464MHz

Channel Spacing:26 MHz
Rx sensitivity:-83dBm
Transmission Power:18 dBm (Typical)
Number of pairing Rx: 25

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2010, 09:17:50 am »
What about something that would broadcast a stereo signal? Is there any such plug in device that I would broadcast through the house - kinda like the iPod car receiver thing, but stronger?

I may just end up buying the speakers. For wireless they are actually pretty good. It's nice to have stereo out in the garage, in the kitchen/living room and back deck. Expensive, but pretty good quality if anyone is interested.

Offline nicneufeld

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2010, 09:36:08 am »
Any objection to just running wire, though?  That's the cheapest of all!

Offline glitterbug

• Assistant Brewer
  • dallas, tx
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2010, 10:05:39 am »
What about something that would broadcast a stereo signal? Is there any such plug in device that I would broadcast through the house - kinda like the iPod car receiver thing, but stronger?

Its called an FM transmitter. Google "house fm transmitter" or similar. Sometimes the commercial products have an adjustable potentiometer so they can stay within fcc guidlines and you can add more power if needed  8)
A witty saying proves nothing - Voltaire

Offline rabid_dingo

• Brewmaster
  • Brighton, CO :D
    • Mile High Monks
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2010, 04:48:05 pm »
I went about it a whole diferent way. I made my music portable with an iPod...for $150 you can get a small decent stereo in each room. Plug the mp3 player in and viola...

I know Denny just looked at his LP collection and sighed...and he is right...
Ruben * Colorado :)

Offline thirsty

• Brewer
  • Brewster, NY
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2010, 05:36:54 pm »
I went about it a whole diferent way. I made my music portable with an iPod...for $150 you can get a small decent stereo in each room. Plug the mp3 player in and viola...

I did the same thing. Kinda like an mp3 boombox. But I still have all my old records too.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2010, 06:43:56 am »

I'm scared of drilling through the floor into the basement.

Its called an FM transmitter. Google "house fm transmitter" or similar. Sometimes the commercial products have an adjustable potentiometer so they can stay within fcc guidlines and you can add more power if needed  8)

Thanks, I look into this.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2010, 06:47:01 am »

Yeah, I thought about that but I already have most of my house "wired" with speakers (well, wireless with speakers). It's nice to be able to walk from room to room without missing a story on "All Things Considered". I also like to host parties and it would be cool just to have music playing upstairs, downstairs, back deck .... you get the picture.

FTR I love my old LB collection too.  ;)

Offline babalu87

• Brewmaster
  • Grand Brewbah
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2010, 07:14:15 am »

I'm scared of drilling through the floor into the basement.

Dont be

I drilled behind the computer desk so I could run RCA over to my home unit so I can play that big giant music folder with songs you'd never hear twice in 10 years.

Also drilled behind the TV cabinet so I could get the DVD wires AND the surround sound wires to that part of the house.
Jeff

On draught:
IIPA, Stout, Hefeweizen, Hallertau Pale Ale, Bitter

Primary:
Hefeweizen,Berliner Weisse, Mead

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2010, 07:26:27 am »
when can you come over and drill behind my stereo?  ;)

I guess the problem for me, besides worrying about hitting wires, is the fact that the hole will come out somewhere in the middle of the ceiling down stairs.