Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Adding rye to Scottish Ale  (Read 2319 times)

Offline natebrews

• Brewer
Adding rye to Scottish Ale
« on: January 18, 2017, 07:11:58 pm »
I was curious if anyone has tried adding rye to a Scottish 60 or 70?  I have made a 60 several times and was thinking it might be interesting to build out the body of it a bit with some portion of rye malt.  Something like

OG = 1.035
FG ~ 1.013
ABV ~ 3%

5.75lb Maris Otter
1lb Rye Malt
6oz C120
6oz C45
4oz Pale Chocolate

1oz EKG @ 45min

Wyeast 1968

Anyone tried putting rye in something like that?  It isn't a particularly small percentage, but I don't know if I would get too much rye character.   
Risk of failure should be no deterrent to trying.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
Re: Adding rye to Scottish Ale
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2017, 08:07:16 pm »
I'd go oats if anything. Rye sounds like it would clash

Offline natebrews

• Brewer
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2017, 08:21:43 pm »
I've tried oats before and didn't get the change I was hoping for.  You could tell the oats were in there, but it didn't seem to have a significant effect on the body of the beer.  Maybe the mouthfeel of it was somewhat "softer" (for lack of a better term), but not really heavier.  I'm going for something to make it feel a bit more substantial on the tongue, like a larger beer would be.

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2017, 09:01:58 pm »
I think it's an excellent idea.  Rye does not have a very powerful flavor at all so you might not even pick it up besides in the mouthfeel.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline curtdogg

• Brewer
  • Learning everyday
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2017, 11:07:17 pm »
How would flaked rye work out?
Sweet home of the Beer Lords.

Offline natebrews

• Brewer
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2017, 04:25:37 am »
I'm not really sure what kind of difference I would get from flaked vs malted in the final beer.  I was leaning toward malted unless there is a compelling reason otherwise.

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2017, 07:29:41 am »
I'm not really sure what kind of difference I would get from flaked vs malted in the final beer.  I was leaning toward malted unless there is a compelling reason otherwise.

I don't think it makes any difference, at least not in this low percentage of the grist.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline curtdogg

• Brewer
  • Learning everyday
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2017, 08:46:36 pm »

I don't think it makes any difference, at least not in this low percentage of the grist.
Are flaked and rolled the same?
I would think that flaked or rolled would have more available starch since they have been heated, gelatinized and or smooshed and also more surface area.
Sweet home of the Beer Lords.

Offline natebrews

• Brewer
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2017, 06:40:42 am »
Yeah, flaked and rolled are the same.  Maybe I'll have to make it both ways to compare.

That said, I picked up malted rye at the brew shop yesterday so the first go of it will have malted rye in it.

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2017, 12:25:14 pm »
I think it would make a nice addition as well Nate. You will most likely only pick up on it in the body and mouthfeel of the beer which sounds like exactly what you are looking for.