Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Catalyst Fermentation  (Read 5401 times)

The Beerery

Re: Catalyst Fermentation
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2016, 11:59:07 am »
Is corona a very hoppy beer? How about ever other beer in clear or green bottles.

No, and it also won't skunk in minutes.  When I used it for a BJCP exam it to 5-7 days to truly get it skunky.  And no matter, it's still a lot longer than a clear fermenter going into a closed chamber would be exposed to light.

Interesting.. I have had helles, and pilsners go skunky in less than 5 minutes.

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2016, 02:57:47 pm »
I've heard that (skunking in 5 minutes) from enough reliable people to believe it even if I haven't experienced it myself.

As far as Corona, Heineken, etc. those clear/green bottles get exposed to light for a lot longer over the course of packaging, transit, retailing, etc.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline RC

• Brewmaster
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2016, 06:22:40 pm »
This looks pretty cool. I may replace my Speidel with it if gets good reviews. My main concern would be not enough headspace.

https://craftabrew.com/products/the-catalyst-fermentation-system

I can't imagine why anyone would want to ferment in a clear fermenter.

I've never had a lightstruck issue with my clear fermenters, after 20 years. It's simply not an issue, unless the fermenter is exposed to direct sunlight through a window or something. Even ambient indoor lighting...not an issue. Two benefits of fermenting in a clear fermenter: 1) You can see if the krausen is about to overwhelm the airlock early on during fermentation, and so you have time to sanitize/install a blow-off rig before the fermentation explodes all over the place. 2) You can see how far down you need to place the siphon tube when racking into a keg or secondary so that you minimize trub transfer.

Offline tommymorris

Catalyst Fermentation
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2016, 06:32:59 pm »
Interesting.  Northern Brewer claims that fermenter is exclusive to them.

What's wrong with clear fermenters? I have 2. Fermentation occurs in the darkness of my chest freezer. So, no light struck issues.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2016, 06:39:40 pm »
This looks pretty cool. I may replace my Speidel with it if gets good reviews. My main concern would be not enough headspace.

https://craftabrew.com/products/the-catalyst-fermentation-system

I can't imagine why anyone would want to ferment in a clear fermenter.

If it's in a chest freezer, does it matter?

I have seen beer skunk in as little as minutes. All light matters.
A minute or less for me. Hoppy beers in strong sunlight.

Edit - in London I tried to get a summer ale to skunk by having it in direct sunlight the whole time. It never did. Somwas that the latitude, the amount of hops, type of hops, whatever it never skunked.

IPAs on my deck will skunk quickly.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2016, 06:44:28 pm by hopfenundmalz »
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2016, 07:13:17 pm »
Interesting.  Northern Brewer claims that fermenter is exclusive to them.

What's wrong with clear fermenters? I have 2. Fermentation occurs in the darkness of my chest freezer. So, no light struck issues.
This point keeps getting lost. If your fermenter is not getting light it doesn't matter. That being said, I have never been tempted to replace my plastic buckets. They are the most perfect pieces of brewing equipment I own.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2016, 09:26:01 am »
Is corona a very hoppy beer? How about ever other beer in clear or green bottles.

No, and it also won't skunk in minutes.  When I used it for a BJCP exam it to 5-7 days to truly get it skunky.  And no matter, it's still a lot longer than a clear fermenter going into a closed chamber would be exposed to light.

Interesting.. I have had helles, and pilsners go skunky in less than 5 minutes.

Possibly a problem created by the LODO process?

If five minutes is all it takes for most beers then every beer that's ever been fermented in a glass or plastic carboy should be terribly skunked because those beers see more than five minutes of light just in bottling time. Is it your position that this is the case?
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline SonnyK

• Cellarman
« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2016, 01:49:03 pm »
I'm getting one of these Fermenter's for christmas to replace my current 7.9gal Spiedel.  And I personally can't wait to start using it. 

The Spiedel is an awesome Fermenter but I see so many advantages to the Catalyst.  I currently Ferment in a Chest Freezer using a Ranco dual channel switch and am looking forward to applying my FermWrap to a perfectly round Fermenter (it's a little awkward on the Spiedel).  As one poster mentioned above, you can only Autosiphon off the top of the Spiedel and I can't wait to drop the Trub + Yeast and be able to see exactly what is collecting in the Mason Jar at different parts of the process.  I don't see how light would be any issue if Fermenting in a garage (where door can be closed) inside of a Chest Freezer.  Direct Light will never touch the beer.

Offline JJeffers09

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2016, 02:05:03 pm »
Back to the OP, I prefer the Fast Ferment Conical to the catalyst.  It is a little harder to clean because it doesn't have than wide opening, but at $99 its not too shabby.  FWIW the Brew Jacket Imm Pro fits it too, not that that is for everyone.  I just think that is a cool piece of equipment too.  Once I find a better price I will jump on one.
"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

AHA Member
Indiana Brewers Union (IBU)

Offline SonnyK

• Cellarman
« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2017, 03:10:15 pm »
Has anyone had any issues with the "Bung" of the Catalyst?  Brewed an Oatmeal Stout yesterday and when I inserted my blowoff and ran the tubing into a growler, the Bung started leaning sideways. Doesn't seem like the best fit.. not nearly as secure as the Bung supplied with my Spiedel.

I was able to secure the Bung with rubber bands to the four latches on the sides.. but will be looking for a new Bung from my LHBS before the next brew..