Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Choice of honey for mead  (Read 7470 times)

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
Re: Choice of honey for mead
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2018, 08:43:58 am »
Buckwheat honey is great... if you like the smell and taste of full diapers.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline joe_meadmaker

• Brewer
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2018, 09:28:31 am »
LOL!

To add to that, buckwheat honey does have what's sometimes described as a "barnyard" aroma/flavor.  Before getting a large amount, I'd recommend trying to find a small bottle and see if you like it.  A grocery store may have it.

I've used buckwheat honey in meads before.  I usually shoot for 20-25% of the total honey if I want to bring that flavor in.

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2018, 09:52:08 am »
LOL!

To add to that, buckwheat honey does have what's sometimes described as a "barnyard" aroma/flavor.  Before getting a large amount, I'd recommend trying to find a small bottle and see if you like it.  A grocery store may have it.

I've used buckwheat honey in meads before.  I usually shoot for 20-25% of the total honey if I want to bring that flavor in.

I shall never ever use more than 0% buckwheat honey in my own meads.  I probably should never be allowed to judge meads in competition either.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.