Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Thames Valley two  (Read 1114 times)

Offline scrap iron

• Assistant Brewer
  • K.C.
Thames Valley two
« on: January 19, 2017, 08:35:11 am »
I recently went to my LHBS to get some WY 1272, my house yeast, but they were out. I wanted to get some fresh to add to a English Brown Ale that was pitched the day before. The thought was maybe the 1272 I had on hand was a little old even though I used a starter. Yes I know 1272 is American but I ferment warmer around 66*+ and get some English character. My question is, any idea WY 1882 Thames  two added to the mix will add? The ferment was at 66*. What yeast will dominate and does anyone have feedback on the WY 1882 ?  I know it was just released in Jan but anyone have any feedback?  Sounds like a great yeast for Bitters, Browns etc. .
Mike F.                                                                              “I am a firm believer in the people. If given the truth, they can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts, and beer.”

Abraham Lincoln

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Thames Valley two
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2017, 12:43:32 pm »
Worked with it fairly exclusively all last spring for a variety of beers. I have fermented it all the way down to 60F for clean styles like Irish Red and upwards of 68-72 (finishing temp) for ESB's. I even used it in a hefty RIS.
I found it to be one of the fastest fermenting strains I have ever used with most average gravity worts fermented fully in under 48 hrs.
Fermented between 66-70F yields light to moderate esters but still allows malt and hops to come through. A bit more malt emphasis then hops though. Fermented at 60F gave a very clean profile, almost like American Ale yeast with a touch more fruitiness. Not overly noticeable as an English strain at these lower temps.