Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Songs you never want to hear again.  (Read 16004 times)

Offline Frankenbrew

• Brewmaster
Re: Songs you never want to hear again.
« Reply #90 on: February 23, 2017, 07:17:04 pm »
The Eagles are meh.  I can take or leave them.

If you want good long-haired country music from that era, a far better choice is "The Gilded Palace of Sin" by the Flying Burrito Brothers. Heck, "Workingman's Dead" or "American Beauty" are better country than the Eagles.

I went to a party  a couple of years back, and we were more than a bit buzzed on homebrew. Someone made a rule that we could only answer questions in Eagles lyrics. It sort of went like this: "Have you seen Billy? Yes, he's "running down the road tryin' to loosen his load," etc. More fun than listening to "Hotel California" for the umpteenth time.
Frank C.

And thereof comes the proverb: 'Blessing of your
heart, you brew good ale.'

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #91 on: February 26, 2017, 10:00:48 am »
You guys that don't like Boston don't own the LPs and don't really understand what it is like to hear that music played loud, and not just the radio songs (though all of their songs up until the 2nd side of Amanda are pretty much awesome). "Don't Look Back" is so freakin' awesome. Those guys were mind blowingly talented.

I assume by those guys you mean Tom and Brad because from what I recall, Tom played everything on the albums and Brad sang all the vocals. Might have just been the demos, though. I can't even answer this question because other than pop stuff, I still listen to most of the stuff from my youth. I just got off a cruise a couple weeks ago with bands like Y&T, KIX, Winger, etc. and I'm going see Maiden a couple times this summer as well as Chicago Open Air.

Almost bought tickets to see Iron Maiden this tour...opted to go see the Metallica tour instead. Stoked to see A7X and Volbeat. Iron Maiden's supporting act, Ghost, can't hold a candle to those two.
Yeah, Ghost isn't horrible, but they're just about the most overrated heavy band out there (I'm reluctant to even refer to them as metal).

It looks like we're getting Volbeat only at my show. I haven't heard much of them, but I'll have to check them out before the show. I'm just bummed that Gojira is playing the end of the tour and I'm going to miss them. They're about the best new metal band to hit the scene in the past decade or so, IMO.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #92 on: February 26, 2017, 10:36:20 am »
That damn "Beer Beer Beer" ukulele song....:)
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #93 on: February 26, 2017, 07:49:29 pm »
It looks like we're getting Volbeat only at my show. I haven't heard much of them, but I'll have to check them out before the show. I'm just bummed that Gojira is playing the end of the tour and I'm going to miss them. They're about the best new metal band to hit the scene in the past decade or so, IMO.

What makes Maiden's (or their promoter's) choice of Ghost even more annoying is Maiden it touring with Shinedown in Europe right now. Shinedown isn't the greatest band, but they're a damn sight better than Ghost.
Corn is a fine adjunct in beer.

And don't buy stale beer.

Offline toby

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Galvez, LA
    • Beer Judge Chronicles
« Reply #94 on: March 03, 2017, 09:39:58 am »
Almost bought tickets to see Iron Maiden this tour...opted to go see the Metallica tour instead. Stoked to see A7X and Volbeat. Iron Maiden's supporting act, Ghost, can't hold a candle to those two.

That's true, but I've seen Metallica enough in their prime to be indifferent to seeing them now (saw them a few years ago at Voodoo Fest even). Paying the price of tickets today, I want to be excited to see the headliner. The opening act is a tiny part of my decision. Metallica can't hold a candle to Maiden at this moment. Back in the early 90s maybe, but now, not even a close decision.

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #95 on: March 03, 2017, 10:49:09 am »
If you want good long-haired country music from that era, a far better choice is "The Gilded Palace of Sin" by the Flying Burrito Brothers. Heck, "Workingman's Dead" or "American Beauty" are better country than the Eagles.

Yeah, Gram Parsons was pretty cool, and I love the Dead. 

There's a pretty good live album of the Flying Burrito Brothers at the Avalon Ballroom in 1969 when they opened for the Dead.
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #96 on: March 04, 2017, 02:11:06 pm »

That's true, but I've seen Metallica enough in their prime to be indifferent to seeing them now (saw them a few years ago at Voodoo Fest even). Paying the price of tickets today, I want to be excited to see the headliner. The opening act is a tiny part of my decision. Metallica can't hold a candle to Maiden at this moment. Back in the early 90s maybe, but now, not even a close decision.

I completely agree about Maiden being the hottest of all the bands mentioned here...but that's why they got stuck touring with Ghost IMO. To me, Volbeat/A7X/Metallica is the better package, even though though none of them individually will be better than Maiden.

Hopefully Maiden will come back soon. I'm still pissed they got stuck touring with Ghost, this will be the closest they've come to me in I think about 4 years.
Corn is a fine adjunct in beer.

And don't buy stale beer.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #97 on: March 04, 2017, 03:36:36 pm »

I completely agree about Maiden being the hottest of all the bands mentioned here...but that's why they got stuck touring with Ghost IMO. To me, Volbeat/A7X/Metallica is the better package, even though though none of them individually will be better than Maiden.

Hopefully Maiden will come back soon. I'm still pissed they got stuck touring with Ghost, this will be the closest they've come to me in I think about 4 years.

Maybe not as metal but I bought tickets yesterday to see Soundgarden in Indy in May. One of my very favorite hard rock bands of the 90s (late 80s as well). Their music still holds up extremely well IMO. Get to relive my younger years. ;)  In the metal vein, I saw Metallica 5 times in their heyday, once in a club of maybe 400 people when Ride The Lightning came out. Cool stuff.

Jon H.

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
« Reply #98 on: March 04, 2017, 05:16:12 pm »

Yeah, Gram Parsons was pretty cool, and I love the Dead. 

There's a pretty good live album of the Flying Burrito Brothers at the Avalon Ballroom in 1969 when they opened for the Dead.
Oh yes, I love me some Flying Burrito Brothers.
Dan Chisholm

Offline 69franx

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #99 on: March 06, 2017, 06:59:21 am »

Maybe not as metal but I bought tickets yesterday to see Soundgarden in Indy in May. One of my very favorite hard rock bands of the 90s (late 80s as well). Their music still holds up extremely well IMO. Get to relive my younger years. ;)  In the metal vein, I saw Metallica 5 times in their heyday, once in a club of maybe 400 people when Ride The Lightning came out. Cool stuff.
Jon, the Soundgarden show sounds awesome, but my SO is not a fan so I won't be catching them this time around. As far as Mettalica goes, I first saw them in 1988 for Van Halen's Monsters of Rock tour: Kingdom Come, Dokken, Mettalica, Scorpions, and Van Halen. I was not a fan before that, but Mettalica definitely stole the show. I saw them another 2 or 3 times after that. Have not liked much since And Justice for all, so not likely to see them again anytime soon.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #100 on: March 06, 2017, 07:19:51 am »

Jon, the Soundgarden show sounds awesome, but my SO is not a fan so I won't be catching them this time around. As far as Mettalica goes, I first saw them in 1988 for Van Halen's Monsters of Rock tour: Kingdom Come, Dokken, Mettalica, Scorpions, and Van Halen. I was not a fan before that, but Mettalica definitely stole the show. I saw them another 2 or 3 times after that. Have not liked much since And Justice for all, so not likely to see them again anytime soon.

I saw the Monsters of Rock tour, too, Frank. I agree, I liked their albums from Justice on back better, too.
Jon H.

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #101 on: March 06, 2017, 09:09:19 am »
I'm afraid metal has not withstood the test of time, I find it kind of sterile now, including stuff I loved in the late 80's.
Soundgarden et al has, however withstood the test of time for me.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #102 on: March 06, 2017, 09:47:01 am »
I'm afraid metal has not withstood the test of time, I find it kind of sterile now, including stuff I loved in the late 80's.

I feel the same, Pete. I do love Soundgarden and a few other early 90s bands. Great music. As for the true metal stuff, I guess I'm too old now (or less pissed off).   :)
Jon H.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #103 on: March 06, 2017, 08:53:40 pm »

I feel the same, Pete. I do love Soundgarden and a few other early 90s bands. Great music. As for the true metal stuff, I guess I'm too old now (or less pissed off).   :)
It's funny, I've had a lot of friends over the years that have "moved on" from metal to other genres. They've tried to get me into their music, but even if I can appreciate it from a musical standpoint, it all seems to lack the energy that I look for in music. I just need my music to be heavy, I guess.

Take Soundgarden, for example. I can listen to Badmotorfinger all day long - it's one of the best, most overlooked sludge metal albums of all time. But their later stuff, when they started moving on more of an alt-rock direction, just doesn't do much for me.

I think it's the pop slickness that turns me off. I've been a big fan of Korn and Slipknot, but the radio-friendly ripoffs like Limp Bizkit or Linkin Park were horrible, IMO.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline 69franx

• Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #104 on: March 06, 2017, 09:05:04 pm »

Jon, when I realized metal wasn't doing it for me anymore, I found old school punk fit the bill nicely. I think becoming a fan of punk in my late 30's to fit that theme, and it fills my need for loud and fast. It's also a great genre to vent grustrations and the anger you speak of. 2 compilations did it for me: XXX records "XXXile on Main Street" (sorry for any Stones fans) and Fat Wreckords(sp?) "Short music for short people" really got me going. I really miss the punk channel on Sirius, but not sirius

Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)