Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Yeast Strain and Beer Color  (Read 5573 times)

Offline skyler

• Brewmaster
  • Hmm. Human music. I like it.
Yeast Strain and Beer Color
« on: January 19, 2017, 03:49:03 pm »
I made an IPA recently and split the batch into two fermenters, one with US-05 and one with Danstar London ESB. The color difference is startling. On the left is the ESB yeast. On the right, the US-05. How? And, fwiw, the US-05 (darker one) tastes hoppier and fresher, but both are fine beers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline bayareabrewer

• Brewmaster
Re: Yeast Strain and Beer Color
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2017, 04:48:24 pm »
umm, wow, that's almost unbelievable.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2017, 05:01:02 pm »
There was an article in Zymurgy on this very thing a long time ago.A large batch of wort was split several ways and each container pitched with a different strain. Lots of difference in final beer color. I could be wrong but I believe the conclusion was that the varying yeasts affected color differently because of their effect on pH, some more so than others. pH is known to impact color. Again, IIRC.
Jon H.

Offline dls5492

• Brewer
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2017, 05:48:34 pm »
Amazing and interesting.
David S.
Cedar Falls, IA
Club: Cedar River Association of Zymurgy Enthusiasts (CRAZE)

And the Lord is the Spirit; and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty. II Cor. 3:17

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2017, 05:50:48 pm »
I'll take a pint of each, please. Oh and can I get a menu?

Offline bayareabrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2017, 05:55:26 pm »
I will sometimes split a ten gallon batch between 2 yeasts in separate carboys, and have never seen a color difference this drastic.

Offline skyler

• Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2017, 06:08:48 pm »
Fwiw, the malt bill was 81% Canadian pilsner malt, 6% carahell, 6% dextrose, and 1% acid malt. The paler beer looks almost bmc gold (~4 SRM) and the other looks more like a standard IPA (~8 SRM).

Offline ringtravis.tr

• 1st Kit
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2017, 12:13:04 am »
Sooooo, this happened to me as well recently. IPA grain bill to achieve 9 SRM, 9 gallons of the same wort dived into two fermentors, with two different yeasts. The lighter one was a Belgium Abbey II WY1762 and the darker one was Irish ale 1084 WY1084.... not to style but I was bored and experimenting. I was just as surprised as you. I've only tasted it after 6 days and they both taste like green beer so I'll give it time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline neddles

• Brewer
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2017, 08:32:06 am »
Sooooo, this happened to me as well recently. IPA grain bill to achieve 9 SRM, 9 gallons of the same wort dived into two fermentors, with two different yeasts. The lighter one was a Belgium Abbey II WY1762 and the darker one was Irish ale 1084 WY1084.... not to style but I was bored and experimenting. I was just as surprised as you. I've only tasted it after 6 days and they both taste like green beer so I'll give it time.

I would guess that in your case (6 days since pitching) it is likely the result of the different flocculation properties of those two yeasts. Not saying they aren't (won't turn out to be) a different shade but waiting until you get them in the glass and clear of yeast and protein haze would be a better time for comparison. I think your just seeing a lot of 1762 in suspension.

Offline Kutaka

• Cellarman
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2017, 11:16:55 am »
S-05 produces an SRM that is consistent with the prediction of the recipe for me. 

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2017, 12:23:17 pm »
Wow!  That is very weird.

Offline ringtravis.tr

• 1st Kit
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2017, 01:39:53 pm »
[/quote]
I would guess that in your case (6 days since pitching) it is likely the result of the different flocculation properties of those two yeasts. Not saying they aren't (won't turn out to be) a different shade but waiting until you get them in the glass and clear of yeast and protein haze would be a better time for comparison. I think your just seeing a lot of 1762 in suspension.
[/quote]

Cool, yeah that makes sense. I'll give it some time and see, thanks!

Offline PharmBrewer

• Assistant Brewer
  • Homebrewing Pharmacist
    • Havencrest Home Brewery
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2017, 09:29:06 pm »
I made an IPA recently and split the batch into two fermenters, one with US-05 and one with Danstar London ESB. The color difference is startling. On the left is the ESB yeast. On the right, the US-05. How? And, fwiw, the US-05 (darker one) tastes hoppier and fresher, but both are fine beers.

This is really amazing.  Thanks for sharing!
Jim
Havencrest Home Brewery - 5 Liter/BIAB
Member: Beaverton Homebrew Club, Oregon Mainbrew Guild, AHA
"Chance favors the prepared mind" - Blaise Pascal

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2017, 01:00:21 pm »

Was one packaged differently than the other?  Just wondering if somehow it may have had more oxygen introduced to it leading to a darker finished product?

Offline skyler

• Brewmaster
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2017, 01:11:26 pm »

Was one packaged differently than the other?  Just wondering if somehow it may have had more oxygen introduced to it leading to a darker finished product?
They were fermented at the same time, in identical fermenters (8 gal buckets) at the same temperature and were kegged one after the other in the same way (co2 purged keg). One thing of note is that the us-05 took longer to start, but they appeared to be finished at the same time.

100% of tasters (4 total) perceived the us-05 to taste fresher and hoppier, so I don't think oxidation is the culprit this time - though I believe the us-05 may have been mishandled prior to purchase.