Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Improved Refractometer Correction calculator  (Read 40906 times)

Offline gradys

• Cellarman
    • HomeBrewMap
Re: Improved Refractometer Correction calculator
« Reply #135 on: February 09, 2018, 09:15:56 am »
^^^^
Just realized: spreadsheet? Your Excel problem is solved, then?

And which spreadsheet are you using?  The one in Brewer's Friend that wants 30 samples?!

FYI: You can also determine Refractometer Correction Factor online here: https://www.homebrewmap.com/en/tools/calculators/refractometer-correction-factor

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #136 on: February 09, 2018, 11:39:12 am »
Yeast suspension effect posted in a new thread under general topics

Offline Robert

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #137 on: February 14, 2018, 02:08:02 pm »
Trusting Novotný enough that I'm doing current batch without bothering with hydrometers.  Just checked mid fermentation, and OP's calculator with Novotný shows gravity exactly where it always is at this point with this beer. 
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #138 on: February 14, 2018, 02:26:22 pm »
Awesome

Big Monk

« Reply #139 on: February 14, 2018, 05:26:03 pm »
Trusting Novotný enough that I'm doing current batch without bothering with hydrometers.  Just checked mid fermentation, and OP's calculator with Novotný shows gravity exactly where it always is at this point with this beer.

I added the novotny equations to the Terrill sheet and will be tracking from now on. I have a suspicion that the Terrill equations are more accurate at higher levels of attenuation.

Offline Robert

« Reply #140 on: February 14, 2018, 05:43:14 pm »

I added the novotny equations to the Terrill sheet and will be tracking from now on. I have a suspicion that the Terrill equations are more accurate at higher levels of attenuation.

Could be, I'll look forward to your reporting on that.  Since I don't need to know when to spund,  I'm really just checking midway and at the end of fermentation to make sure there hasn't been some irregularity that would indicate the need to get a fresh culture of yeast.  So consistency is more important to me than accuracy.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline Robert

« Reply #141 on: February 15, 2018, 08:22:08 am »
^^^^^

Just took a sample of a fully fermented beer. Hydrometer: 1.012. Terill: 1.010. Novotný: 1.008.  Maybe I'll use refractometer on brew day, but maybe neither correction is really accurate on fermenting/fermented beer.  Look forward to more data.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Big Monk

« Reply #142 on: February 15, 2018, 08:25:29 am »
^^^^^

Just took a sample of a fully fermented beer. Hydrometer: 1.012. Terill: 1.010. Novotný: 1.008.  Maybe I'll use refractometer on brew day, but maybe neither correction is really accurate on fermenting/fermented beer.  Look forward to more data.

Terrill New Cubic or New Linear? New cubic tracks a bit higher than New Linear.

What was the O.G.?

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #143 on: February 15, 2018, 08:36:34 am »
^^^^^

Are you very confident in your correction factor?  Did you check calibration of both the hydro and refract in plain cool water before measuring?
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline Robert

« Reply #144 on: February 15, 2018, 09:42:46 am »
^^^^^

Are you very confident in your correction factor?  Did you check calibration of both the hydro and refract in plain cool water before measuring?
^^^^^

What was the O.G.?

OG 12.7°P, whatever Terill is in th OP's calculator, yes, yes, and yes to Dave's questions.  I've had one other sample (fully fermented, different batch of same beer) give identical results.

At this point I have no problem with using a hydrometer at racking if I want a good FG.   I see no inaccuracy on wort, so the refractometer I will use to simplify brew day.  And I'll only have one reading, FG, to convert to (my preferred) Plato.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Big Monk

« Reply #145 on: February 15, 2018, 09:55:02 am »
^^^^^

^^^^^

What was the O.G.?

OG 12.7°P, whatever Terill is in th OP's calculator, yes, yes, and yes to Dave's questions.  I've had one other sample (fully fermented, different batch of same beer) give identical results.

At this point I have no problem with using a hydrometer at racking if I want a good FG.   I see no inaccuracy on wort, so the refractometer I will use to simplify brew day.  And I'll only have one reading, FG, to convert to (my preferred) Plato.

The OP calculator uses Terrill New Linear. New Cubic actually tracks closer to what you saw @ 1.0116

Offline Robert

« Reply #146 on: February 15, 2018, 10:00:10 am »
^^^^^

^^^^^

What was the O.G.?

The OP calculator uses Terrill New Linear. New Cubic actually tracks closer to what you saw @ 1.0116

Thanks, that is probably within the margin-of-eyeballing-hydrometer-in-carbonated-beer error;  what calculator uses that new cubic?
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Big Monk

« Reply #147 on: February 15, 2018, 10:03:22 am »
^^^^^

^^^^^

What was the O.G.?

Thanks, that is probably within the margin-of-eyeballing-hydrometer-in-carbonated-beer error;  what calculator uses that new cubic?

Sean Terrill's Excel sheet uses it.

Offline Robert

« Reply #148 on: February 15, 2018, 10:06:35 am »
Thanks, Big Monk, I'm looking at that right now.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Big Monk

« Reply #149 on: February 15, 2018, 10:08:13 am »
Thanks, Big Monk, I'm looking at that right now.

I just PM'd you my sheet that I modified. It is expanded to include the Novotny equations as well and reworks some of the Attenuation and Alcohol calcs as well to more accurate versions.