Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Improved Refractometer Correction calculator  (Read 40939 times)

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
Re: Improved Refractometer Correction calculator
« Reply #165 on: February 20, 2018, 09:18:19 pm »
This is crazy.  We're all getting different answers.  Novotny and Old Cubic are most accurate for mine all the way across.

I modified my sheet to calculate attenuation and alcohol for each correlation and entered in stats from 12 sessions. Novotny Linear and Cubic and Old Cubic WAY undershot every batch and returned unrealistic attenuation and ABV Numbers.

And I get the opposite, from 5 data points though, not 12.  Maybe I'll change my tune after 12.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline Robert

« Reply #166 on: February 20, 2018, 09:24:51 pm »
This is crazy.  We're all getting different answers.  Novotny and Old Cubic are most accurate for mine all the way across.
I'm almost ready to propose a surprisingly commonsense solution.  We need no correction beyond our well-known factor for our own instrument for wort.  Simplify brew day by using refracto.  Ignore mid fermentation.  Use a hydro for FG, but wait until time tells you you're probably there.  You can surely afford one hydro size sample even on a small batch.  I have a vague recollection this is how we homebrewers first got interested in refractometers.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline DeeGood888

• 1st Kit
    • https://sonicesoap.com/
« Reply #167 on: February 21, 2018, 03:17:29 am »
Need to bookmark this  ;D

Big Monk

« Reply #168 on: February 21, 2018, 05:52:30 am »

I modified my sheet to calculate attenuation and alcohol for each correlation and entered in stats from 12 sessions. Novotny Linear and Cubic and Old Cubic WAY undershot every batch and returned unrealistic attenuation and ABV Numbers.

And I get the opposite, from 5 data points though, not 12.  Maybe I'll change my tune after 12.

Just to satisfy my own curiosoty Dave: Why the fudge factors in your old cubic and Novotny linear calculations? Is it just that those modified values are just closer than the New cubic and New Linear calcs so you call that good?

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #169 on: February 21, 2018, 06:13:02 am »
Just to satisfy my own curiosoty Dave: Why the fudge factors in your old cubic and Novotny linear calculations? Is it just that those modified values are just closer than the New cubic and New Linear calcs so you call that good?

Yes.  Trying to fit the line better, assuming the curvature is correct but vertical placement is not.  Call my versions "the Taylor formulae" if you prefer.  Originally, I had applied fudge factors to Terrill's formulae based on Terrill's own analysis... but found those fudgers unnecessary to fit my own data set.  The reasons for doing so were sound enough for me to go ahead and use fudgers for other formulae where necessary.  See writeup from Terrill here, where he suggests his own New Cubic averages high by about 0.0007, but the Old Cubic was low by about 0.0017... so I added those fudge factors into my own spreadsheet originally right off the bat, then tweaked from there based on the line in my spreadsheet marked "New ABS Method" with a goal of zero of course, which unlike Terrill's "Mean discrepancy" which blends negative and positive values, my method uses absolute value distances from the goal line, yadda yadda.  Anyway...... here's Terrill's own analysis of the accuracy of his own formulae:

http://seanterrill.com/2011/04/07/refractometer-fg-results/

I guess you could say, I am attempting to normalize the playing field, instead of allowing each formula to average too high or too low.  Let's assume the curvature is correct but for some reason the people taking measurements aren't calibrating their hydrometer accurately, or whatever, which would result in a consistently high or low correlation.

There you have it.  I'm finally done editing this post (edited it about 6 times in the past 8 minutes).
« Last Edit: February 21, 2018, 06:21:17 am by dmtaylor »
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline Robert

« Reply #170 on: February 21, 2018, 06:28:57 am »
^^^^^
Wherein Terrill says:

"In situations where the FG needs to be known precisely, testing with a properly calibrated precision hydrometer remains the best option."
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Big Monk

« Reply #171 on: February 21, 2018, 06:30:07 am »

Yes.  Trying to fit the line better, assuming the curvature is correct but vertical placement is not.  Call my versions "the Taylor formulae" if you prefer.  Originally, I had applied fudge factors to Terrill's formulae based on Terrill's own analysis... but found those fudgers unnecessary to fit my own data set.  The reasons for doing so were sound enough for me to go ahead and use fudgers for other formulae where necessary.  See writeup from Terrill here, where he suggests his own New Cubic averages high by about 0.0007, but the Old Cubic was low by about 0.0017... so I added those fudge factors into my own spreadsheet originally right off the bat, then tweaked from there based on the line in my spreadsheet marked "New ABS Method" with a goal of zero of course, which unlike Terrill's "Mean discrepancy" which blends negative and positive values, my method uses absolute value distances from the goal line, yadda yadda.  Anyway...... here's Terrill's own analysis of the accuracy of his own formulae:

http://seanterrill.com/2011/04/07/refractometer-fg-results/

I guess you could say, I am attempting to normalize the playing field, instead of allowing each formula to average too high or too low.  Let's assume the curvature is correct but for some reason the people taking measurements aren't calibrating their hydrometer accurately, or whatever, which would result in a consistently high or low correlation.

There you have it.  I'm finally done editing this post (edited it about 6 times in the past 8 minutes).

Understood. I'm backfitting old data so it will be nice to log the next 8-10 sessions with fresh eyes and see where I land.

Offline Robert

« Reply #172 on: February 22, 2018, 07:10:46 pm »
I have a new set of precision Plato saccharometers arriving tomorrow.   Over time I will try to provide you guys some more data.  Will confirm my correction factor and post any measurements on this thread.

EDIT Perhaps it would be more helpful if I just posted raw data for batches where available:  OG,  mid, and FG  WRI  and saccharometer readings.  Let me know if it would be of any use.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2018, 07:31:24 pm by Robert »
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline Pricelessbrewing

• Assistant Brewer
  • BrewersFriend
« Reply #173 on: February 25, 2018, 07:20:19 pm »
I have a new set of precision Plato saccharometers arriving tomorrow.   Over time I will try to provide you guys some more data.  Will confirm my correction factor and post any measurements on this thread.

EDIT Perhaps it would be more helpful if I just posted raw data for batches where available:  OG,  mid, and FG  WRI  and saccharometer readings.  Let me know if it would be of any use.

Give me all of the data!

Offline Robert

« Reply #174 on: February 25, 2018, 07:33:39 pm »

Give me all of the data!
Will do.  Brewed Pils yesterday, will probably get a mid fermentation reading mid week, FG by next week.  I'll post a batch of data then. These pro brewery saccharometers are very easy to read; refractometer is an eye strain by comparison!  But I have confirmed the correction I've been using.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline hackrsackr

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #175 on: February 25, 2018, 09:45:43 pm »

Give me all of the data!
Will do.  Brewed Pils yesterday, will probably get a mid fermentation reading mid week, FG by next week.  I'll post a batch of data then. These pro brewery saccharometers are very easy to read; refractometer is an eye strain by comparison!  But I have confirmed the correction I've been using.

Link to the saccharometers?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Robert

« Reply #176 on: February 25, 2018, 10:20:53 pm »
^^^^
Here's the link.

Brix Saccharometer (7.5-16) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01H3X2NUG/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apap_OiXfhDZFmyj7T

It may just give you one, but look down to "frequently bought together. "   There's a deal on the 0°-8.5°P and 7.5°-16°P; above that is, for most of us, mash density where we want to use a refractometer,  but they have one more at higher range if you keep searching.  This is a high grade professional brewery instrument. No buyer's remorse at all.

EDIT  Just a point of information,  you need a 14" test jar and a ~175-200ml sample.

Further point of info: these are marked at gradations of 0.1°P and there is a built in thermometer and correction scale, of course.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2018, 10:36:08 pm by Robert »
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline hackrsackr

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #177 on: February 25, 2018, 10:29:17 pm »
^^^^
Here's the link.

Brix Saccharometer (7.5-16) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01H3X2NUG/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apap_OiXfhDZFmyj7T

It may just give you one, but look down to "frequently bought together. "   There's a deal on the 0°-8.5°P and 7.5°-16°P; above that is, for most of us, mash density where we want to use a refractometer,  but they have one more at higher range if you keep searching.  This is a high grade professional brewery instrument. No buyer's remorse at all.
Awesome! Thanks, Robert.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Petr

• 1st Kit
« Reply #178 on: February 28, 2018, 05:49:47 pm »
I would just like to mention that the main benefit of my formulae is that it does work for fermenting wort. For the well-attenuated beer, Terrill's and my result aren't too different. I would say they're within an experimental error.

Offline Robert

« Reply #179 on: February 28, 2018, 06:04:13 pm »
I would just like to mention that the main benefit of my formulae is that it does work for fermenting wort. For the well-attenuated beer, Terrill's and my result aren't too different. I would say they're within an experimental error.
I would agree for the most part, Petr.  Despite my offer above of more mid fermentation data for others on this forum, I've actually concluded based on my log records that I trust your formulae for mid fermentation.  But like some others here I have yet to be convinced that Terrill's new cubic is not more accurate for finished beer in a normal range of attenuation.  But thanks to you, I feel I have a good tool for determining when I have reached 50% apparent attenuation, where I start raising the temperature on my lager fermentations! 
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio