Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Improved Refractometer Correction calculator  (Read 40139 times)

Offline Robert

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Improved Refractometer Correction calculator
« Reply #30 on: February 04, 2018, 12:58:22 pm »
I mash 60, just because, iodine test to make sure everything's going as usual, mash off 10-20 and sparge.  I get good yield (>33ppg in homebrew terms) and good attenuation (>78% ADF).  I'll stick with that. :)

I've found the iodine test unreliable, so I use conversion efficiency to make sure the mash is done.

Time was, I checked the mash with a refractometer at the same time as my iodine test.  I quit because it was one more thing to do, and it was always exactly the same.  I just looked at Kai's table and guess what?  There's the number I was always hitting.  So I guess I've sort of calibrated my system, and as long as I'm using similar malts and water/grain ratios, I probably don't even need the iodine test (it's always negative by 60 min anyway) but it's a habit.  If I ever decide to make radical changes, now I know how to dial it in again! Thanks all.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #31 on: February 04, 2018, 01:41:10 pm »
I mash 60, just because, iodine test to make sure everything's going as usual, mash off 10-20 and sparge.  I get good yield (>33ppg in homebrew terms) and good attenuation (>78% ADF).  I'll stick with that. :)

I've found the iodine test unreliable, so I use conversion efficiency to make sure the mash is done.

Time was, I checked the mash with a refractometer at the same time as my iodine test.  I quit because it was one more thing to do, and it was always exactly the same.  I just looked at Kai's table and guess what?  There's the number I was always hitting.  So I guess I've sort of calibrated my system, and as long as I'm using similar malts and water/grain ratios, I probably don't even need the iodine test (it's always negative by 60 min anyway) but it's a habit.  If I ever decide to make radical changes, now I know how to dial it in again! Thanks all.

Excellent, man!  The key is always to find what works for YOU!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #32 on: February 04, 2018, 01:47:31 pm »
Looks like I'm going to blind trust 1.04, because my smart phone doesn't play well with excel

Big Monk

« Reply #33 on: February 04, 2018, 02:15:47 pm »
Looks like I'm going to blind trust 1.04, because my smart phone doesn't play well with excel

Don’t do it!

The Excel app doesn’t work for you?
« Last Edit: February 04, 2018, 02:17:18 pm by Big Monk »

Offline Robert

« Reply #34 on: February 04, 2018, 02:49:48 pm »
Jim, what kind of phone? What's it doing?
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #35 on: February 04, 2018, 02:49:50 pm »

Don’t do it!

Nope. I downloaded it, and can see it, but it won't even let me enter data.

So, what is the worst that can happen if I arbitrarily used the correction factor of 1.04?

Big Monk

« Reply #36 on: February 04, 2018, 02:54:16 pm »

Don’t do it!

So, what is the worst that can happen if I arbitrarily used the correction factor of 1.04?

It MAY skew your numbers. Then again, 1.04 might be your number.

Offline Robert

« Reply #37 on: February 04, 2018, 02:55:11 pm »
Quote from: klickitat jim pink=topic=28544.msg404397#msg404397 date=1517777251

Don’t do it!

Jim, if it says your file is read only, you just have to save a copy.  You should be able to save changes to that copy.  (I save each recipe I do in Bru'n Water with the recipe in th e file name.)  Otherwise it's just a matter of getting your finger on those tiny little fields!
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #38 on: February 04, 2018, 02:58:25 pm »
Just playing around with my refractometer app, using 20° OG and 10° FG I get the following ABVs by changing the correction factor to...

1.08 7.2%
1.04 7.5%
1.00 7.8%
.98 7.8%

Frankly that's totally close enough for me! My main use of FG readings is to verify Terminal Gravity. When people ask me what the ABV of my beers is, I usually ask "what does it seem like?" Their perception is more valuable to me than what it actually is. Then I'll tell them a rounded off figure, like if it's calculated to 7.35% I'll say "it's about 7%".

Will using an arbitrary correction factor cause my refractometer final gravity readings to bounce around, so long as I use the same factor?
« Last Edit: February 04, 2018, 03:00:48 pm by klickitat jim »

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #39 on: February 04, 2018, 03:00:53 pm »

The end of civilization as we know it!   ;D
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #40 on: February 04, 2018, 03:02:52 pm »

Right! Just have to define what end of civilization means, lol. Off by 1/2 A percent ABV is totally liveable and civilized enough for me

Big Monk

« Reply #41 on: February 04, 2018, 03:06:11 pm »

Right! Just have to define what end of civilization means, lol. Off by 1/2 A percent ABV is totally liveable and civilized enough for me

We care more about being precise for Spunding and knowing when to transfer the beer.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #42 on: February 04, 2018, 03:10:01 pm »

We care more about being precise for Spunding and knowing when to transfer the beer.
Does that answer my question? Not being sarcastic, just wondering if I'm having a stroke or something

Big Monk

« Reply #43 on: February 04, 2018, 03:39:00 pm »

Does that answer my question? Not being sarcastic, just wondering if I'm having a stroke or something

I was just responding to your “off by 1/2 % ABV” statement. If that what you are concerned with, then who cares if you just SWAG the correction factor. OTOH, if you are trying to get accurate FFT readings, fermentation readings, or precise readings for determine transfer gravities, then it’s important to actually measure the correction factor.

If you mean this question:

Don’t do it!

It MAY skew your numbers. Then again, 1.04 might be your number.

I answered it already.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2018, 03:41:09 pm by Big Monk »

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #44 on: February 04, 2018, 03:40:54 pm »
Disregard: I found one that works in brewers friend! I'll do about 5 test each  in about 5 different worts and see what my correction factor actually is.

I'm going to do this tonight with dme/water. I'll do 10%, 15%, 20%, and 25%.

Huge thanks do dmtaylor for typing up that thorough explanation!

Big thanks to Monk for johnny on the spotting me.

And thanks Denny for keeping it fun