Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Thinking about purchasing a stainless conical - looking for recomendations  (Read 4457 times)

Offline rgambatesa

• 1st Kit
I am considering the purchase of a stainless steel conical fermenter and I am looking for some recommendations.  I tried the Fast Ferment plastic conical and hated it.  Prior to that is was glass carboys.

I would be looking for something in the 7 gallon range and would like to keep it as reasonable prices as possible.  I have been considering the standard conical from SS Brewtech to keep cost down plus I can add the Brewmaster features in the future if so desired.  I also like the looks of the Spike Brewing unit (If they ever release it) but I am open to suggestions.

Please let me know if you are using a SS conical and what you like or do not like about it and what features you might consider mast haves.

Thanks for the help!

Offline Visor

• Brewmaster
   Just curious why you hated the FF conical?
I spent most of my money on beer, tools and guns, the rest I foolishly squandered on stupid stuff!

Offline rgambatesa

• 1st Kit
The items that posed the biggest problem are as follows:
1. The thermowell kept leaking.  It took a half roll of Teflon tape to stop it.
2. The lid gasket did not seal very well and fell into the beer if you took the lid off.
3. No racking arm.

In general, I found it to be a little on the finicky side.

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
If you are brewing less than 10 gallons finished, get a brewbucket. Cost of a small conical is insane.

Offline rgambatesa

• 1st Kit
Re: Thinking about purchasing a stainless conical
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2017, 12:22:48 pm »
Stevie,

I agree that the cost is definitely up there.  I do like some of the features that they offer.  Are the features worth the cost?  Still not sure.

One of the things that I was thinking about with the conical is fermenting under pressure which I do not think that I can do with the brewbucket.  Stout makes a TC pressure relive valve which I believe is what one of our local small breweries uses to ferment under pressure.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2017, 12:24:37 pm by rgambatesa »

Offline nbarmbrewer

• Cellarman
I just received my 7 gallon Ss BME conical.  I haven't used it yet but plan to this weekend.  The instructions on putting it together weren't very well on some things but you can find them on youtube.  If you decide to get this, get the extension legs. The dump valve is pretty close to the floor.

Why would you want to ferment under pressure?  Co2 is bad for yeast.  Do you mean to do closed transfers?  The BME comes with a pressure relief valve that is set at 2 psi. Not sure about the standard conical.

Offline lenphallock

• Cellarman
I have and love the SS Brewtech 7 gallon Chronical. The only downfall is it is really difficult to clean the coils of the FTSS temperature control coils...not the fermentor itself, just the coils. They are tightly wound that presents areas that are hard to reach.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline rgambatesa

• 1st Kit
I have and love the SS Brewtech 7 gallon Chronical. The only downfall is it is really difficult to clean the coils of the FTSS temperature control coils...not the fermentor itself, just the coils. They are tightly wound that presents areas that are hard to reach.

Do you have the standard conical or the Brewmaster edition?

Offline lenphallock

• Cellarman

Do you have the standard conical or the Brewmaster edition?
I have the standard.

Offline rgambatesa

• 1st Kit
Len,
Do you have any other upgrades to your conical?

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Re: Thinking about purchasing a stainless conical
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2017, 05:11:29 pm »
Stevie,

I agree that the cost is definitely up there.  I do like some of the features that they offer.  Are the features worth the cost?  Still not sure.

One of the things that I was thinking about with the conical is fermenting under pressure which I do not think that I can do with the brewbucket.  Stout makes a TC pressure relive valve which I believe is what one of our local small breweries uses to ferment under pressure.

I love my conicals. However, I am brewing 20 bbl batches so absolutely need them. I have a 10 gallon homebrew conical just sitting there that I never use for small batches. It's yoo much of a PITA to move around into fermentation chambers so I can't really control temps easy with all kinds of rigging. If they made legit jacketed small size conicals that would be ideal. Otherwise such a PITA. If you are really serious ab out fermenting under pressure you could do that in a corny keg.

Offline bboy9000

• Brewmaster
  • KCMO
Re: Thinking about purchasing a stainless conical - looking for recomendations
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2017, 07:54:09 pm »
Stevie,

I love my conicals. However, I am brewing 20 bbl  batches
Uhh, you don't count . Jk.  Still  informative.  Just awesome.  20bbl!
Brian
mobrewer

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2017, 07:41:40 am »
Stevie,

I love my conicals. However, I am brewing 20 bbl  batches
Uhh, you don't count . Jk.  Still  informative.  Just awesome.  20bbl!

Sorry, my batch size is 20bbls my conical sizes are 40 and 60bbls (with some odd size 15s and 30s thrown in from the old system).

I wish they made a legitimate 5-10 gallon conical that had a viable cooling option that wasn't super expensive. The stainless conicals for that size are already 100's of dollars. And they all need to be CiP too otherwise PITA to clean.

the benefit of dumping trub and harvesting yeast certainly is nice but be aware that on smaller conicals the ports are often too small and clog. Also, many of them are not rated for pressure.

I still brew plenty of small 5 and 10 gallon batches and buckets and carboys are my go to due to simplicity and ease of carrying around.

Offline Notlostbrewing

• 1st Kit
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2017, 04:08:02 am »
I have been using a SS Brewtech cronical for two years now and love it. I use a cheap fridge with a Johnson controller to keep temps where I want them. Also have a SS brew bucket which is also really nice. Definitely not a PITA to clean, let it soak and give it a rinse, good to go.

Offline rgambatesa

• 1st Kit
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2017, 07:15:24 pm »
Thanks for all of the input!

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk