Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Hard piped Propane burner issues.  (Read 3128 times)

Offline BrewWright

• 1st Kit
Hard piped Propane burner issues.
« on: January 29, 2017, 07:43:31 am »
Im upgrading my setup from a one burner on the back porch to a full 2 burner setup in the basement.   

I used 1/2" copper pipe with soldered joints from the gas grill line with a gas shut off,  to my ball valve shut offs(same valves you see in any water pipe application)  from those I stepped down using a series of brass fittings until it threads onto the hi pressure burner.   I checked for leaks and was super excited to fire it up.   
When I did,  I got a huge 3 foot tall yellow soft and gental flame,  it settles down to 1 foot tall soft yellow flame.    It's hot,  but it's not the small tight blue flames I expected.

I can't figure out how to post the piping and setup pics on here...
What I don't have is in line regulators.   I'm wondering if the pressure isn't hi enough get the touch flames.

Offline jrstephens65

• 1st Kit
Re: Hard piped Propane burner issues.
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2017, 08:15:01 am »
BrewRight,  You say this is plumbed from the gas grill line and you don't have a regulator inline.  It the gas grill propane or natural gas?  If it is natural gas the pressure will be lower and your propane burners will not work.  Give us a little more information and we can help you figure out your issue.

Offline BrewWright

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2017, 10:21:54 am »
It is a 20lb standard Propane tank,  with a flex line like would be used for a standard hookup to a Propane grill,  or turkey fry setup.  That flex line does have a regulator,  but it is not adjustable.
From the tank:
Flexible line as described above,  to a gas shutoff valve(this step was required in order to get to a standard thread for copper)  then it is soldered 1/2" copper run that has a T.  That feeds burner 1, there is a standard brass shut off valve and a series of step down threads to match the burner hole pattern then the burner.  The run to burner one is about 8" long from the gas shut off. Burner2: From the T,  it continues in copper for 40", then a copper 90, then a standard brass shut off and series of threads to step down to the burner.  How do I add photos?

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2017, 10:30:13 am »
From the rules and FAQs section of the forum.

https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?topic=20.0

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline Bob357

• Brewmaster
  • Consensus means nothing to me. I am who I am.
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2017, 10:41:33 am »
A standard hose/regulator assembly has a fixed orifice in the end that screws into the burner. If you plumbed from that end of the hose to the burner you have defeated the purpose of the orifice and greatly reduced the gas flow. 
Beer is my bucket list,

Bob357
Fallon, NV

Offline BrewWright

• 1st Kit
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2017, 11:12:21 am »
Bob357, I agree with you, I wasn't sure if it was a too little pressure issue.   so is the solution to add a regulator in place of my shut offs,  or maybe in addition to... Just prior to the burners 

Offline BrewWright

• 1st Kit
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2017, 12:31:10 pm »
Click the address and it will take you to some pics about it.
http://s1243.photobucket.com/user/dave_wright5/media/IMAG0816_zpsy2d7yqe6.jpg.html?sort=3&o=4

Offline nero558

• 1st Kit
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2017, 06:27:58 pm »
Hey man, first off, I sure hope you have an excellent ventilation system because burning propane in a closed area with likely kill you with carbon monoxide poisoning. Second, your problem is the regulator. A grill regulator is about 12psi you need more like 30 to 40. You can find high pressure adjustable regulators on Amazon or I'm sure any homebrew site.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Offline nero558

• 1st Kit
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2017, 06:31:20 pm »
This is my setup with the regulators I use. I prefer the 30psi one, but they both work just fine.

Offline nero558

• 1st Kit
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2017, 06:33:03 pm »

« Last Edit: January 30, 2017, 07:08:45 pm by nero558 »

Offline BrewWright

• 1st Kit
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2017, 06:21:28 pm »
Thanks my fellow brewers,  I have solved the problem.   It was not the regulator,  although upgrading to higher psi one would work better,  it was the final restriction tip entering the burner.  The tip I used was 1/8 Threaded brass,  but what I needed was the smaller restriction jet tip.   It all works great now.   Thanks for all the tips.   And Nero558,  thank you for the tip on ventilation,  I do have a plan for that.   My setup is 3' from my basement door,  I plan on opening it and with an 8" flex duct and a box fan on the outside end,  it will create the suction of the heavier carbon monoxide.... I'll be sure to update from the hospital if it doesn't work ;)

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2017, 07:00:23 pm »
Get a CO meter and keep it near by about a foot above the floor. CO can mess you up at pretty low concentrations. Similar to being drunk, your brain can't make proper decisions. Be safe.

Offline BrewWright

• 1st Kit
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2017, 10:26:08 pm »
Thanks. I will do that.