Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Dry Hopping  (Read 5536 times)

Offline deadpoetic0077

• Assistant Brewer
  • Noobie
Dry Hopping
« on: January 20, 2017, 10:25:02 am »
I will be doing a pale ale here fairly soon and I was wondering if you can dry hop in primary. I can use a secondary if need be, however its not the greatest as far as possible oxidation... theres a lot of head space in my bucket.

What I was planning on doing is dry hopping in the primary (I use a carboy) and I was gonna use pellets. can I just drop the pellets in without a hop bag? I bottle so I would need to siphon off the trub anyway after a couple days.

Thoughts?

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Dry Hopping
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2017, 10:29:15 am »
Before I started keg hopping I would dry hop in the primary after fermentation was complete. I just threw the hop pellets in. When they settled out is normally when I would package.
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline deadpoetic0077

• Assistant Brewer
  • Noobie
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2017, 10:37:31 am »
Before I started keg hopping I would dry hop in the primary after fermentation was complete. I just threw the hop pellets in. When they settled out is normally when I would package.

That's what I was thinking I would do. You never had issues with this? Hop flavor came through allright?
« Last Edit: January 20, 2017, 10:39:51 am by deadpoetic0077 »

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2017, 10:46:08 am »
Personally, I dislike the interaction you can get between yeast and hops and always remove the beer from the yeast before dry hopping.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2017, 10:48:26 am »

That's what I was thinking I would do. You never had issues with this? Hop flavor came through allright?

I never had problems however that was back when I would dramatically under hop all hoppy styles. They were pretty lackluster back then but that was purely due to not using enough hops...

I believe some prefer results when the beer is clear and off the yeast.
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline deadpoetic0077

• Assistant Brewer
  • Noobie
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2017, 11:36:06 am »
Personally, I dislike the interaction you can get between yeast and hops and always remove the beer from the yeast before dry hopping.

What kind of results did you get? weird flavors?

I may end up doing the primary in the bucket and the secondary in glass since theres less of a chance of oxidation in that thing. Less headspace for the most part.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2017, 11:45:07 am »

I may end up doing the primary in the bucket and the secondary in glass since theres less of a chance of oxidation in that thing. Less headspace for the most part.

Yeah, weird floral flavors and aromas.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline deadpoetic0077

• Assistant Brewer
  • Noobie
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2017, 01:23:11 pm »

Yeah, weird floral flavors and aromas.

hmm. Ok thanks. Ill probably end up fermenting in my bucket and then dry hopping in glass then. Wish I had some C02 to purge the carboy with. don't have a tank... should prolly get me one one of these days

Offline Hand of Dom

• Brewer
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2017, 04:00:41 pm »
I dry hop in primary.  Turns out fine in my experience.  I tend to use pellets.
Dom

Currently drinking - Amarillo saison
Currently fermenting - Pale ale 1 - 2017

Offline Kutaka

• Cellarman
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2017, 05:50:42 pm »
As a homebrewer, you are obligated to try dry hopping in every way imaginable.  Eventually, you will settle on your preferred method.  Various dry hopping methods produce different results.  All methods are good according to someone.   

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2017, 06:40:02 pm »
Well said.

For me... whirlpool gives me plenty of aroma. I quit dry hopping

Offline bboy9000

• Brewmaster
  • KCMO
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2017, 07:50:14 pm »
^this.  Again, agree with you Jim.  I don't know you but I'd love to collab with you.  Actually nevermind.  We'd probably still make the same beer we make already.
Brian
mobrewer

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2017, 06:11:03 am »
Ha! Could be

The Beerery

« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2017, 06:36:25 am »
There are wrong ways (oxidation) and right ways. Big brewery has all sorts of contraptions to try and add hops without oxygen. If you are losing hop character at all during aging(within say 6 or so months), that would be the wrong way.

Here is my take.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2017, 06:38:59 am by The Beerery »

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2017, 07:02:13 am »
I'm dry hopping during the spund right now. Looking forward to seeing what I think.
Jon H.