Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Dry Hopping  (Read 5573 times)

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
Re: Dry Hopping
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2017, 07:42:35 am »
Well said.

For me... whirlpool gives me plenty of aroma. I quit dry hopping
Same here for the most part. Whirlpool gets me what I'm looking for in 95% of my beers. The rare instances where I do a dry hop is in primary.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2017, 07:57:28 am »
The #1 problem with dry hopping is the introduction of oxygen. When you drop those pellets in they will drag o2 down with them. On commercial batches I have been using a 15 gallon yeast brink, adding all my hops and then purging that vessel with co2, letting some beer flow into the brink from the tanks and then blowing that back into the fermentor with the hops. This vastly improves shelf life and hop flavor stability.

If you have c02 you can add your hops to a secondary vessel (carboy or corny keg), purge that vessel with co2 and then rack your beer onto the hops to the same effect I mentioned above. Or you can add the hops to the primary vessel just near the end of fermentation so that the yeast scrubs the o2. Arguably if there is still yeast in the fermentor you will have a different hop character like Denny mentions. There is actually a theory out there called "Bio transfomation" which is what the "cloudy IPA" rage is all about but you will have to google that for more info.

The other problem with that latter method is you can expect to lose some hop flavor and aroma when the yeast eventually settles out because the hop resins bind to the yeast cell and fall out with them.

I will edit this to add: I tried to get away from dry hopping but there is nothing to compare with that aroma. It is well worth it.

The Beerery

« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2017, 08:23:38 am »
The #1 problem with dry hopping is the introduction of oxygen. When you drop those pellets in they will drag o2 down with them. On commercial batches I have been using a 15 gallon yeast brink, adding all my hops and then purging that vessel with co2, letting some beer flow into the brink from the tanks and then blowing that back into the fermentor with the hops. This vastly improves shelf life and hop flavor stability.

If you have c02 you can add your hops to a secondary vessel (carboy or corny keg), purge that vessel with co2 and then rack your beer onto the hops to the same effect I mentioned above. Or you can add the hops to the primary vessel just near the end of fermentation so that the yeast scrubs the o2. Arguably if there is still yeast in the fermentor you will have a different hop character like Denny mentions. There is actually a theory out there called "Bio transfomation" which is what the "cloudy IPA" rage is all about but you will have to google that for more info.

The other problem with that latter method is you can expect to lose some hop flavor and aroma when the yeast eventually settles out because the hop resins bind to the yeast cell and fall out with them.

I will edit this to add: I tried to get away from dry hopping but there is nothing to compare with that aroma. It is well worth it.

To really purge you should try and put a vacuum on your yeast brink. Do a triple cycle of vac/purge. It will get your DO levels even lower.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Dry Hopping
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2017, 09:45:42 am »
I find whirlpool hops help keep the beer tasty for longer, but dry hopping makes for a much tastier beer. I dry hop in the keg using a stainless dry hopper or bags.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2017, 09:46:31 am »
As a homebrewer, you are obligated to try dry hopping in every way imaginable.  Eventually, you will settle on your preferred method.  Various dry hopping methods produce different results.  All methods are good according to someone.

Excellent advice!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2017, 09:47:49 am »

In an upcoming BYO article, I debate Gordon about this very point.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2017, 10:01:30 am »
Yeah, weird floral flavors and aromas.

So, if I want weird floral flavor and aroma I should dry hop in primary. A new technique, thanks Denny.  ;D
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2017, 10:37:29 am »

In an upcoming BYO article, I debate Gordon about this very point.

Which point?

Edit: If you are talking about the difference between dry hopping and not dry hopping I rescind that comment because you can do things with small batches that can give excellent hop aromas. Long WPs in commercial brewing can cause problems which is what I was thinking about.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2017, 10:48:49 am by majorvices »

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2017, 10:52:54 am »
To really purge you should try and put a vacuum on your yeast brink. Do a triple cycle of vac/purge. It will get your DO levels even lower.

Will a Hoover work or do I need something more expensive?
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2017, 11:09:06 am »
Which point?

Edit: If you are talking about the difference between dry hopping and not dry hopping I rescind that comment because you can do things with small batches that can give excellent hop aromas. Long WPs in commercial brewing can cause problems which is what I was thinking about.

Oxidation and whether other methods are equivalent to dry hopping.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline Joel5000

• Cellarman
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2017, 12:40:19 am »
I continue to try to dry hop in primary (because I am lazy), and I continue to be disappointed with the results.  Like Denny said, there is just a weird flavor that I don't care for.  My results are better when I drop hop in secondary, but I think I might just start doing some extended hop stands at around 170 to 180 F and skipping the dry hop altogether.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2017, 08:10:55 am »
Which point?

Oxidation and whether other methods are equivalent to dry hopping.

I will eagerly await your debate. But from my perspective, I have no doubt. Granted, we are talking shelf life and stability. For 5 gallons of beer, if you plan on drinking within a few weeks, oxidation won't be a problem. Especially kept cold. I have had kettle hopped beers stay good for literally 12+ months while dry hopped beers pick up oxidation flavors in weeks.

Offline coolman26

• Brewmaster
« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2017, 09:11:41 am »
There is no comparison IMO to the aroma from dryhop vs whirlpool. I typically whirlpool, but when I dryhop, it is in a purged keg. The oxidation incurred killed my shelf life. I tried the stainless mesh dry hoppers, fail. I've been bagging into the purged keg and it has made a big difference in lessening the O2. Dry hops are such a pain though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jeff B

Offline neddles

• Brewer
« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2017, 04:56:18 pm »
Personally, I dislike the interaction you can get between yeast and hops and always remove the beer from the yeast before dry hopping.
Denny or someone, refresh me on the science here... why is it that biotransformation only happens to hop oils introduced as a part of the dry hop and not what we add in a 160F hop stand? Nobody complains about, or seeks out, biotransformation of their whirlpool addidtions. Why not?

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2017, 05:23:33 pm »
Personally, I dislike the interaction you can get between yeast and hops and always remove the beer from the yeast before dry hopping.
Denny or someone, refresh me on the science here... why is it that biotransformation only happens to hop oils introduced as a part of the dry hop and not what we add in a 160F hop stand? Nobody complains about, or seeks out, biotransformation of their whirlpool addidtions. Why not?

The biotransformation happens between active yeast and hops. Obviously no active yeast in the whirlpool.
Jon H.