Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Dry Hopping  (Read 5534 times)

Offline neddles

• Brewer
Re: Dry Hopping
« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2017, 05:29:28 pm »
Personally, I dislike the interaction you can get between yeast and hops and always remove the beer from the yeast before dry hopping.
Denny or someone, refresh me on the science here... why is it that biotransformation only happens to hop oils introduced as a part of the dry hop and not what we add in a 160F hop stand? Nobody complains about, or seeks out, biotransformation of their whirlpool addidtions. Why not?
Right but the oils introduced during the whirlpool, upon which the yeast work/transform, should should be there when the yeast become active, no?

The biotransformation happens between active yeast and hops. Obviously no active yeast in the whirlpool.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #31 on: January 22, 2017, 05:38:18 pm »
Personally, I dislike the interaction you can get between yeast and hops and always remove the beer from the yeast before dry hopping.
Denny or someone, refresh me on the science here... why is it that biotransformation only happens to hop oils introduced as a part of the dry hop and not what we add in a 160F hop stand? Nobody complains about, or seeks out, biotransformation of their whirlpool addidtions. Why not?
Right but the oils introduced during the whirlpool, upon which the yeast work/transform, should should be there when the yeast become active, no?

The biotransformation happens between active yeast and hops. Obviously no active yeast in the whirlpool.

Sure, they would. I assume not in the concentrated , non-volatilized form as would be present in dry hopping. Not a brewing scientist, just a WAG.
Jon H.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #32 on: January 23, 2017, 09:33:13 am »
Here's the information I asked one of my Siebel grad friends to share. Enjoy!

file:///C:/Users/Owner/Downloads/Biotransformation_of_hop-derived_aroma_compounds_b.pdf

Offline tommymorris

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #33 on: January 23, 2017, 09:36:06 am »

file:///C:/Users/Owner/Downloads/Biotransformation_of_hop-derived_aroma_compounds_b.pdf
That's a file on your computer ("C:"). No one will be able to see it.

Offline deadpoetic0077

• Assistant Brewer
  • Noobie
« Reply #34 on: January 23, 2017, 09:37:46 am »
I appreciate all the responses. Learning a good amount from this thread! Thanks!

Offline Hand of Dom

• Brewer
« Reply #35 on: January 23, 2017, 10:51:38 am »

That's a file on your computer ("C:"). No one will be able to see it.

And now we know your user name.
Dom

Currently drinking - Amarillo saison
Currently fermenting - Pale ale 1 - 2017

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #37 on: January 23, 2017, 01:32:57 pm »
Yeah, weird floral flavors and aromas.

So, if I want weird floral flavor and aroma I should dry hop in primary. A new technique, thanks Denny.  ;D
I like the flowery and perfumey aromas that you get when dry hopping on the yeast, and I also dry hop once the yeast drop.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!