Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Boil temps - do they matter?  (Read 21541 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Boil temps - do they matter?
« Reply #105 on: February 02, 2017, 09:58:45 am »
Kai vanished due to work and family.

Are you suggesting that there are people who have lives beyond the forum?

Imagine!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #106 on: February 02, 2017, 09:59:48 am »
Kai vanished due to work and family.

Are you suggesting that there are people who have lives beyond the forum?

Imagine!

I try...  Sadly the forum is as close to brewing as I have been in months.  Perhaps tomorrow.  I have the day off.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #107 on: February 02, 2017, 10:50:25 am »

I try...  Sadly the forum is as close to brewing as I have been in months.  Perhaps tomorrow.  I have the day off.

I know the feeling.  Yesterday was the first time in 2 months that I'd brewed at all and the first time in 6 months that I brewed for myself and enjoyment.  No experiments, no testing of equipment, ingredients, or process...just plain old school brewing for the fun of it.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline bayareabrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #108 on: February 02, 2017, 10:51:28 am »

I know the feeling.  Yesterday was the first time in 2 months that I'd brewed at all and the first time in 6 months that I brewed for myself and enjoyment.  No experiments, no testing of equipment, ingredients, or process...just plain old school brewing for the fun of it.

what'd you brew?

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #109 on: February 02, 2017, 12:03:56 pm »

what'd you brew?

BDSA with 2 lb. of D240 candi syrup.  I brewed HIDO.  ;)

www.dennybrew.com

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #110 on: February 02, 2017, 12:06:46 pm »
BDSA with 2 lb. of D240 candi syrup.

Any clue when that stuff is going to be available to the masses?
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #111 on: February 02, 2017, 12:58:43 pm »
BDSA with 2 lb. of D240 candi syrup.

Any clue when that stuff is going to be available to the masses?

They say fall 2016 so it should be out there....http://www.candisyrup.com/products.html

www.dennybrew.com

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #112 on: February 02, 2017, 01:45:14 pm »

what'd you brew?

BDSA with 2 lb. of D240 candi syrup.  I brewed HIDO.  ;)

Nice.  If I get lucky I'll split some wort tomorrow into a tripel and a saison.

Offline MadJohnShaft

• 1st Kit
« Reply #113 on: February 03, 2017, 11:35:58 am »

I can't help myself -  I boil the crap out of it outside in the cold for an hour because all that rising steam and jet-engine noise makes me feels rugged, dangerous and macho.

For reals.

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #114 on: February 04, 2017, 02:13:14 pm »
Just finished brewing a M Dunkel and I revised my boiling procedures in response to this thread.

I reduced my boiloff percentage to under 10% by covering the kettle to almost 100%. I had been covering the kettle by about 1/2 to 2/3, but my boil loss percentage was on the order of 1 gal/hr. That was too much. I knew I had to implement change.

So with the lid barely cracked, I quickly found that I needed to reduce the power. I had been boiling with a mild rolling action with the power modulator set at 45%. I had to turn the setting down to 20% to get the same rolling with the cover on. So, there is a big energy savings with the cover on. I did find that its important to keep your face away from the kettle when checking the boil! Steam is hot!!!

I did boil the last 15 min uncovered to help assure that DMS was boiled out and to meet my 10% volume loss goal. I'll bump that down to 8% in the future if this approach seems to work well.

These were changes that I needed to do. We'll see if they improve or degrade the beer. 
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #115 on: February 04, 2017, 03:36:38 pm »
Just finished brewing a M Dunkel and I revised my boiling procedures in response to this thread.

I reduced my boiloff percentage to under 10% by covering the kettle to almost 100%. I had been covering the kettle by about 1/2 to 2/3, but my boil loss percentage was on the order of 1 gal/hr. That was too much. I knew I had to implement change.

So with the lid barely cracked, I quickly found that I needed to reduce the power. I had been boiling with a mild rolling action with the power modulator set at 45%. I had to turn the setting down to 20% to get the same rolling with the cover on. So, there is a big energy savings with the cover on. I did find that its important to keep your face away from the kettle when checking the boil! Steam is hot!!!

I did boil the last 15 min uncovered to help assure that DMS was boiled out and to meet my 10% volume loss goal. I'll bump that down to 8% in the future if this approach seems to work well.

These were changes that I needed to do. We'll see if they improve or degrade the beer.

Martin,
did you implement any other low oxygen procedures in this brew day besides lighter boil?  Just curious.

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #116 on: February 04, 2017, 06:52:06 pm »
Yeah, I use SMB and BTB in my brewing.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

The Beerery

Boil temps - do they matter?
« Reply #117 on: February 04, 2017, 06:55:39 pm »
Yeah, I use SMB and BTB in my brewing.
Cheers Martin! I think you will be really happy with the lower thermal load in conjunction with your normal practices.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #118 on: February 05, 2017, 08:08:50 am »
I did my boil mostly covered yesterday as well.  I had to have the burner down so low the flame went out  couple times, but it was a little windy too.

Pre-boiling pretty much offset any propane savings though.  And added hugely to the length of the brew day.

Anyway, I implemented what I could for reducing DO.  We'll see how the beer comes out.

I had miserable conversion with the underlet undisturbed mash.  Maybe I need to crush finer...

Big Monk

« Reply #119 on: February 05, 2017, 08:14:50 am »
I did my boil mostly covered yesterday as well.  I had to have the burner down so low the flame went out  couple times, but it was a little windy too.

Pre-boiling pretty much offset any propane savings though.  And added hugely to the length of the brew day.

Anyway, I implemented what I could for reducing DO.  We'll see how the beer comes out.

I had miserable conversion with the underlet undisturbed mash.  Maybe I need to crush finer...

When you say undisturbed mash, you mean you didn't stir at all?