Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Boil temps - do they matter?  (Read 21708 times)

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
Re: Boil temps - do they matter?
« Reply #30 on: January 25, 2017, 06:32:21 pm »
Hear hear! Until I knew what TBI was my beer only scored 45 points.

Big Monk

« Reply #31 on: January 25, 2017, 06:35:39 pm »

Do you Boil hard?

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #32 on: January 25, 2017, 06:36:47 pm »
TBI?  I think the use of acronyms without definition come across as pretentious and divisive.  You can't assume everybody knows what the heck you're talking about.  When I first started reading the LODO thread, I was very turned off by all of the SMB, BtB, etc.  It's almost like you need to be "in the know" or part of some clique to even gain access to the info.  Not very helpful, IMO (in my opinion).   ;)

SG, OG, FG, ADF, IBU, ABV, SRM, WY, WL, SS, EKG. FWIW, the tip of the iceberg here. Not exactly unprecedented.
Jon H.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #33 on: January 25, 2017, 06:44:54 pm »

Do you Boil hard?
Dewy Cox hard!

Offline riceral

• Brewer
« Reply #34 on: January 26, 2017, 06:05:20 am »
Acronyms are everywhere, and 99% of the time I don't even make them up ;) Take for example LODO. Hate the term and you will have NEVER see me use it! 

The link to what TBI( and TBA) is was like the 4th post in this thread.
But here it is again, cheers.

Thermal stress is placed on wort, more heavily so on long, excessively turbulent boils, resulting in excessive darkening of wort and may well impact malt flavor. Where advice used to be to target 10-15% evaporation, well under 10% evaporation may well ward off these effects. FWIW I get 7-8% evaporation.

Edit -   http://www.lowoxygenbrewing.com/uncategorized/low-oxygen-boiling/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you for the explanation.

Working in medicine and with a background in emergency medicine, I thought TBI stood for traumatic brain injury! I drew a link between beer and traumatic brain injury but couldn't see how boil temperatures had anything to do with it.
Ralph R.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #35 on: January 26, 2017, 09:59:54 am »
I've read that a good boil really looks more like a simmer vs a volcano.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

+1 - though I will say that it doesn't really matter except for your evaporation rate calculation 9and possible scortching if it gets insanely hot). You really can't boil too hard. The boil won't get hotter than 212 (depending on your elevation obviously). A gentle roiling boil will give you everything you need and save you gas and from having to top off with water at the end. On my 14 gallon kettle I can get the wort about a half inch from the top of the kettle and boil for 90 minutes without having a boil over (well, mostly.) Just got to gently feather that gas regulator.

It does matter.  TBI is very real.

TBI?  I think the use of acronyms without definition come across as pretentious and divisive.  You can't assume everybody knows what the heck you're talking about.  When I first started reading the LODO thread, I was very turned off by all of the SMB, BtB, etc.  It's almost like you need to be "in the know" or part of some clique to even gain access to the info.  Not very helpful, IMO (in my opinion).   ;)

TBI=Texas Brewing Inc., AFAIK.  ;)
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline bayareabrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #36 on: January 26, 2017, 12:08:53 pm »

I routinely got feedback that by beers needed to be loaded with more sulfur on my scoresheets :)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #37 on: January 26, 2017, 12:17:30 pm »

8)
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #38 on: January 26, 2017, 12:49:01 pm »
After spending a few minutes reviewing what TBI and TBA are, it is very apparent that this is a well known effect in the big boy breweries. Extended or intense boiling can actually "pre-damage" the wort and make the resulting beer age quicker.

At the homebrew level where we probably keep our beer cooler and consume it sooner, this issue may be moot. But to provide your beers with longer shelf life, you do need to consider this. I will definitely be reviewing my practices and be making some changes.

Thanks for bringing this up, gentleman.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

The Beerery

« Reply #39 on: January 26, 2017, 12:58:34 pm »
After spending a few minutes reviewing what TBI and TBA are, it is very apparent that this is a well known effect in the big boy breweries. Extended or intense boiling can actually "pre-damage" the wort and make the resulting beer age quicker.

At the homebrew level where we probably keep our beer cooler and consume it sooner, this issue may be moot. But to provide your beers with longer shelf life, you do need to consider this. I will definitely be reviewing my practices and be making some changes.

Accelerated staling is one issue, the others are flavor degradation, increased color pick up, oxidation, etc.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2017, 01:09:08 pm by The Beerery »

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
« Reply #40 on: January 26, 2017, 01:30:53 pm »

Accelerated staling is one issue, the others are flavor degradation, increased color pick up, oxidation, etc.
Another factor is, if a beer will be consumed within a month of kegging it, does it matter?
Jesse

Offline stpug

• Brewmaster
« Reply #41 on: January 26, 2017, 01:34:02 pm »

I appreciate how you've taken a simple yet obscure mention of an effect in brewing (TBI/TBA); done some quick, preliminary research; and provided some constructive feedback on the topic that's to-the-point.  Thanks for being classy, Martin - it truly shines!

Offline stpug

• Brewmaster
« Reply #42 on: January 26, 2017, 01:43:35 pm »

Another factor is, if a beer will be consumed within a month of kegging it, does it matter?

Valid point for those that consume kegs in that time frame.  Some kegs I'll finish within a month, some may take a few.  I have experienced degradation in beer quality fairly quickly in some kegs (1 week) while other kegs have held out much longer (many weeks).  The kind of degradation I experience is generally a loss of subtle-but-distinct malt or hop characteristics that are pleasurable in the beer; it's nothing earth-shattering, but it's an overall loss of quality from my standpoint.  I feel that some folks think of this low level of degradation as a "melding" of the beer constituents, and perceive it as a good thing (which it may very well be to their palate).  We all perceive things differently and that's why homebrewing is so cool!  8)

The Beerery

« Reply #43 on: January 26, 2017, 02:36:32 pm »

As I said accelerated staling is 1 issue, there are more that I listed. The beer is the sum of all parts.  ;)

We were able to easily identify boiling differences in the raw post boil wort immediately..Let alone the other things.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2017, 02:41:52 pm by The Beerery »

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #44 on: January 26, 2017, 03:17:48 pm »
http://cloud.tapatalk.com/s/588a755b6b7ff/j.2050-0416.2011.tb00508.x.pdf%3Bjsessionid%3DE0B8EC321B494EF6CF5EEC024F972FA9.f03t01

Glad I Googled this TBA stuff. I will hold off on buying a flash pasteurization setup