Author Topic: Boil temps - do they matter?  (Read 15103 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Boil temps - do they matter?
« Reply #90 on: February 01, 2017, 04:52:32 PM »
No problem.  I found best malz to have the most DMS of the continental pilsners.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yet that's my go to malt and I don't get any DMS from it.  Wonder why.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

The Beerery

« Reply #91 on: February 01, 2017, 04:53:17 PM »
No problem.  I found best malz to have the most DMS of the continental pilsners.

My low boil off rates and thermal stress.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #92 on: February 01, 2017, 04:55:32 PM »
When I was thinking about trying out the short boil for pils malt I recall reading Kai suggesting a covered simmer finished with a short uncovered full boil. I've not tried it but it gave me courage to try the 60 min boil.

Honestly, I think it takes some effort to get DMS in a final beer.

Jim, FWIW I brew 60 mins with pils malt all the time. Zero issues.

Edit - Misread. I thought the 'courage to try' part meant the 60 min boil, not the covered simmer. My bad.
For clarification
Since the 60min boil debate and the first BrĂ¼-spearimint on it, I've been boiling everything 60min. I cover till I am reaching boil, then I put a cover back on at flameout/chill/whirlpool etc.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #93 on: February 01, 2017, 04:55:43 PM »

Some yeast strains produce more DMS than others.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #94 on: February 01, 2017, 04:58:52 PM »

Some yeast strains produce more DMS than others.

I always use 2124 and 2206 for lagers and 3787 or 1762 if I'm doing Belgians with it.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline stpug

• Brewmaster
« Reply #95 on: February 01, 2017, 05:18:56 PM »

I would make the assumption that Bryan's boil vigor and evaporation rate are much lower than yours, and it's your increased vigor and evap that's ensuring a thorough "scrubbing" of DMS and its precursors.  If true, this would reinforce the usual recommendation to homebrewers of increased boil vigor and evap rates to help ensure that issue doesn't crop up (i.e. safe over sorry).  The flip side could be that some malt "nuance" is lost/altered with the increased vigor/evap, but to reduce it then you begin "playing close enough to the fire that you might get burned" so "enter at your own risk" signs should be posted.  Something like that. :D

Big Monk

« Reply #96 on: February 01, 2017, 05:19:13 PM »

My low boil off rates and thermal stress.

The differences in process here could definitely play a role. A more robust, uncovered boil is likely to drive off more of the DMS than the lower energy, partially covered boil.

EDIT: stpug got there before I did  ;)

The Beerery

« Reply #97 on: February 01, 2017, 05:37:51 PM »

I would make the assumption that Bryan's boil vigor and evaporation rate are much lower than yours, and it's your increased vigor and evap that's ensuring a thorough "scrubbing" of DMS and its precursors.  If true, this would reinforce the usual recommendation to homebrewers of increased boil vigor and evap rates to help ensure that issue doesn't crop up (i.e. safe over sorry).  The flip side could be that some malt "nuance" is lost/altered with the increased vigor/evap, but to reduce it then you begin "playing close enough to the fire that you might get burned" so "enter at your own risk" signs should be posted.  Something like that. :D

Exactly correct.
4% boil off for me is too low(DMS CITY!), 5% slight DMS, 6% means I need a 70 minute boil, 7% is what I shoot for(right on the edge, but I brew in a temperature and humidity controlled brewery that is always 67F and 35% humidity, so its easy to replicate), and 8% is a solid number, but I noticed flavor degradation, and increased color pickup. That goes for every % point I went up from 4%. I am chasing the .5% and less now though, so it takes to some pretty weird places.  :o

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life.
« Reply #98 on: February 01, 2017, 07:47:40 PM »

Exactly correct.
4% boil off for me is too low(DMS CITY!), 5% slight DMS, 6% means I need a 70 minute boil, 7% is what I shoot for(right on the edge, but I brew in a temperature and humidity controlled brewery that is always 67F and 35% humidity, so its easy to replicate), and 8% is a solid number, but I noticed flavor degradation, and increased color pickup. That goes for every % point I went up from 4%. I am chasing the .5% and less now though, so it takes to some pretty weird places.  :o

Jesus, and I'm just trying to hit some proper final volumes with this. Ha!  I got a ways to go.

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #99 on: February 01, 2017, 09:00:26 PM »
With SMM and DMS being evolved throughout the boil, it seems like a covered boil for most of the period followed with a short and more vigorous open boil would serve to reduce thermal stress and eject the DMS.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #100 on: February 01, 2017, 09:24:17 PM »
With SMM and DMS being evolved throughout the boil, it seems like a covered boil for most of the period followed with a short and more vigorous open boil would serve to reduce thermal stress and eject the DMS.
It seems to me what Kai suggested way back when

The Beerery

« Reply #101 on: February 02, 2017, 04:30:04 PM »
It seems to me what Kai suggested way back when

Kai was very close to the elusiveness, he missed it by "that" much. Much love for Kai. He had all the books ( Narziss and Kunze, etc) but just couldn't make it all come together... Or maybe he could and thats why he vanished!?!?!?

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #102 on: February 02, 2017, 04:41:27 PM »
Kai was very close to the elusiveness, he missed it by "that" much. Much love for Kai. He had all the books ( Narziss and Kunze, etc) but just couldn't make it all come together... Or maybe he could and thats why he vanished!?!?!?

Kai vanished due to work and family.  There was a bit more to it, also, but I'd rather not get into that.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life.
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #103 on: February 02, 2017, 04:44:21 PM »
Kai vanished due to work and family.

Are you suggesting that there are people who have lives beyond the forum?
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

The Beerery

« Reply #104 on: February 02, 2017, 04:53:12 PM »

Kai vanished due to work and family.  There was a bit more to it, also, but I'd rather not get into that.

It was a joke  ;)