Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Hop Slam 2017  (Read 2268 times)

Offline Kutaka

• Cellarman
Hop Slam 2017
« on: January 20, 2017, 05:12:45 pm »
Not sure how long I've been able to buy Bell's Hop Slam.  It's been many years, but the first purchase happened this year.  It's a DIPA that has a well deserved controversial reputation.

At first, I was disappointed.  Then I found something to appreciate.

I can see why many people drink it for the first time and decide it's over hyped and over rated.  As far as modern DIPAs go, it's not very hoppy.  It has less hop flavor and aroma than Two Hearted which is a good IPA, but not definitely not a hop bomb.   

Does an IPA or DIPA need to be super hoppy in terms of flavor and aroma to be considered  very good?  Many would say yes.  I prefer these styles to be more hoppy than not.

My initial disappointment of lack of anticipated hoppyness was resolved by appreciating the super clean 10% abv and the flavor of the malt and honey balanced by the relatively conservative use of hops for the style.

I've had plenty of hyped California DIPAs that were hop and fusel bombs.  I like a lot of hops, but harsh booze ruins beer for me.  Especially big beers. 

Hopslam is about as smooth as 10% gets.  The same beer with more hops would be outstanding for the style.   

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: Hop Slam 2017
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2017, 05:17:15 pm »
Too sweet for my tastes. Reminds me more of American Barleywine. I like a drier, hoppier IPA for the sake of drinkability. Just personal preference, though.
Jon H.

Offline Kutaka

• Cellarman
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2017, 05:36:32 pm »
I don't typically like sweet beer and prefer dryer beer.  FG of 1.008 to 1.012 is what I try to make for home brewed IPA.  This 2017 example of Hopslam was not too sweet for me, but it was sweeter than 1.012.  Whatever the FG was, it didn't ruin things for me.     

Offline Kutaka

• Cellarman
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2017, 01:02:21 pm »
If they called it a Barleywine or an American Strong Ale, there would be less dissatisfied buyers.  When the name of the beer is Hop Slam, it is reasonable to expect to be SLAMMED by the hops.  It doesn't deliver in that regard.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2017, 01:22:57 pm »
If they called it a Barleywine or an American Strong Ale, there would be less dissatisfied buyers.  When the name of the beer is Hop Slam, it is reasonable to expect to be SLAMMED by the hops.  It doesn't deliver in that regard.

My thoughts, too. And just too sweet IMO.
Jon H.

Offline mharding73

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2017, 01:25:37 pm »
I just picked up a six pack last night.  $20.  I will not buy again.  But I said that last year too.  It's good but way over priced. 

Offline Kutaka

• Cellarman
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2017, 04:44:47 pm »
I paid $15.99.  Not a bad price for 72oz of 10% beer.

I definitely won't buy it again.  I really mean that.  For real. 

It's a quality beer, though.