Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Indoor Garden  (Read 2411 times)

Offline kmccaf

• Brewmaster
  • Kyle (Champaign, Hensley Township, Il)
Indoor Garden
« on: January 22, 2017, 05:01:23 pm »
I was given a really nice grow light for Xmas, and was thinking about doing some sort of hydroponics, but seems like there are lots of different setups. Was really thinking of doing aeroponics, but am a little hesitant to do anything big. Anyone else got a system? What do you like about it? What don't you like about it?

And no, I am not growing weed. Just some herbs, greens, and hopefully a tomato and some peppers.
Kyle M.

Offline curtdogg

• Brewer
  • Learning everyday
Re: Indoor Garden
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2017, 05:56:04 am »
I was in to that for a while. Out of all the setups i tried eb and flow was easiest and least expensive.  If you're really adventurous look into Aquaponics.
Sweet home of the Beer Lords.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2017, 11:10:57 am »
If you get a setup running, keep us posted (with pics!). I've wanted to dabble in a small hydroponic system, but every hydroponic shop out my way is for pot and I feel dirty just walking into one. I'd love to keep some peppers going year-round.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2017, 08:42:07 am »
If you get a setup running, keep us posted (with pics!). I've wanted to dabble in a small hydroponic system, but every hydroponic shop out my way is for pot and I feel dirty just walking into one. I'd love to keep some peppers going year-round.
You don't need to feel dirty walking into one in Massachusetts anymore and you probably know there is one near the RI border on 146.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2017, 09:39:10 am »
You don't need to feel dirty walking into one in Massachusetts anymore and you probably know there is one near the RI border on 146.
If I knew one that specialized in vegetable gardening rather than herb gardening, then I'd feel a lot better about poking my head inside :)
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline curtdogg

• Brewer
  • Learning everyday
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2017, 05:04:49 pm »
They are very similar when it comes to basic needs. There is so much info on the Internet as well.
You'll need a reservoir, a grow tray, media, a pump, some nutrient a timer and a few fittings. Most hydroponic stores I've been to are more than happy to help out. I was just in one the other day where i picked up a pH meter for brewing.

Offline kmccaf

• Brewmaster
  • Kyle (Champaign, Hensley Township, Il)
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2017, 07:25:33 pm »
I was in to that for a while. Out of all the setups i tried eb and flow was easiest and least expensive.  If you're really adventurous look into Aquaponics.

Thanks for the advice. I am thinking of doing ebb and flow to begin with, and then working my way up to aquaponics at some point. There is a strawberry farmer nearby who does his whole crop that way who I will hit up for some tips.
Kyle M.

Offline curtdogg

• Brewer
  • Learning everyday
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2017, 07:36:22 pm »
Sounds good, its an interesting hobby for sure. Its great for kids, it can get them excited about eating healthy and growing your own food. Good luck.

Cheers.
Ps. If your on Instagram or you tube check out Rob Bob.