Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Hop specific IBU Injectors  (Read 3366 times)

Offline golfgod04

• Brewer
    • My new Brewing Website - Totally Brewed Co
Hop specific IBU Injectors
« on: January 21, 2017, 07:36:25 pm »
I saw a few places selling hop specific IBU injectors.  There's a bunch of different ones. Here is the one for Summit.  Anyone ever use them? 
"Current AA - 50%
Variety specific hop extract - Summit.
Can be used late in the boil or whirlpool to get variety specific flavors and aromas."

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
Re: Hop specific IBU Injectors
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2017, 10:18:39 pm »
I used the version that Northern Brewer sells (hop shot) as the bittering addition for a double IPA.  I thought it worked very well.
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2017, 10:48:34 pm »

I saw a few places selling hop specific IBU injectors.  There's a bunch of different ones. Here is the one for Summit.  Anyone ever use them? 
"Current AA - 50%
Can be used late in the boil or whirlpool to get variety specific flavors and aromas."

I picked up Summit, Citra, Chinook, Cascade and El Dorado injectors recently. I will be putting them through some hop trials in the near future. Hopefully they perform better than my non-varietal HopShot trial, which was relatively bland and flavorless.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2017, 08:41:51 am »

"Current AA - 50%

I picked up Summit, Citra, Chinook, Cascade and El Dorado injectors recently. I will be putting them through some hop trials in the near future. Hopefully they perform better than my non-varietal HopShot trial, which was relatively bland and flavorless.
Look forward to reading those results. I have a 5mL chinook injector I got from Farmhouse I want to use in a 2.5 gallon batch of pale or IPA.
Jesse

Offline golfgod04

• Brewer
    • My new Brewing Website - Totally Brewed Co
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2017, 09:25:34 am »
i saw the hopshot before and knew that was just for bittering.  But these hop specific injectors look interesting.  I cant wait to hear your results

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2017, 09:41:43 am »
I wonder if these can be used for speed dry hopping.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2017, 10:29:08 am »
That was definitely a thought of mine. I have some parts on order to rig up a keg injector, and this was one of the uses I had in mind for it
Eric B.

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2017, 11:52:47 am »
That was definitely a thought of mine. I have some parts on order to rig up a keg injector, and this was one of the uses I had in mind for it
When you get it all hooked up, do a post about it, will ya? I'm curious about that as well and would like to know how it is implemented.
Jesse

Offline Stevie

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2017, 12:06:22 pm »
When you get it all hooked up, do a post about it, will ya? I'm curious about that as well and would like to know how it is implemented.
If it is anything like the CO2 "hot shot" extracts, I'm curious to know how well it will dissolve into the beer. I think it will be like pouring molasses into water. Maybe consider using a bit of high proof alcohol as a solvent.

The Beerery

Hop specific IBU Injectors
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2017, 12:12:26 pm »
Some of mine I make myself, some I buy.  Love hop extracts. It's my only dryhop as well( dosed inline via a syringe).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: January 22, 2017, 12:14:11 pm by The Beerery »

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2017, 02:42:32 pm »
Some of mine I make myself, some I buy.  Love hop extracts. It's my only dryhop as well( dosed inline via a syringe).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Make yourself? Please share some details

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Eric B.

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2017, 05:27:04 pm »

I've been wondering about this as well and thinking that something like the below might work if it was inline in your transfer tubing.  I believe they accept syringes with luer lock tips.

http://www.halkeyroberts.com/products/medical/needlefree-swabable-valves/swabable-t-port---small-bore-tubing.aspx

https://www.amazon.com/Vita-Needle-Science-Purchase-10cc-Syringe/dp/B002RUI8WS/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1485130993&sr=8-3&keywords=needleless+syringe
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2017, 10:56:46 am »

I've been wondering about this as well and thinking that something like the below might work if it was inline in your transfer tubing.  I believe they accept syringes with luer lock tips.

http://www.halkeyroberts.com/products/medical/needlefree-swabable-valves/swabable-t-port---small-bore-tubing.aspx

https://www.amazon.com/Vita-Needle-Science-Purchase-10cc-Syringe/dp/B002RUI8WS/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1485130993&sr=8-3&keywords=needleless+syringe
This is similar to what I'm planning. I plan to have a flare nut on one end of a small section of tubing, and a female luer-lock connection on the other side. The nut can attach to either a gas post or a liquid post, and the luer-lock will accept a syringe. This way I can dose my keg with finings, coffee, spice tinctures, hop extract, etc. without having to open the lid. I'm thinking that I'll probably use the liquid post most of the time, because I can back flush with some beer to be sure all of my additives get mixed in properly.
Eric B.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2017, 12:23:28 pm »

This is similar to what I'm planning. I plan to have a flare nut on one end of a small section of tubing, and a female luer-lock connection on the other side. The nut can attach to either a gas post or a liquid post, and the luer-lock will accept a syringe. This way I can dose my keg with finings, coffee, spice tinctures, hop extract, etc. without having to open the lid. I'm thinking that I'll probably use the liquid post most of the time, because I can back flush with some beer to be sure all of my additives get mixed in properly.

Somebody posted a simple work around to opening the lid a few months back and I've been using it since (embarrassed that I didn't think of it, though) - venting the keg and applying ~ 2psi to keep a positive CO2 pressure, then removing the PRV and injecting gelatin (or whatever) through the hole. I do like the inline idea as a long term solution, though.
Jon H.

Offline bayareabrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2017, 05:48:30 pm »
I've never used the varietal specific, but a pro brewer friend of mine has and he tells me they all taste very similar. YMMV of course.