Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Hops to go with WLP500 in a Single  (Read 2813 times)

Offline neddles

• Brewer
Hops to go with WLP500 in a Single
« on: January 23, 2017, 01:06:57 pm »
I am planning a Single/Patersbier for next week. Probably 100% Floor malted Pils to 1.046 or so and WLP500. I have not used this yeast and plan to ferment cool 62-63F as seems to be the common recommendation for this strain. I want to give the beer enough hops to know they are in there but to complement the yeast well. Maybe 20g at 20 min and again 20g at 5 min? Saaz and Styrians seem traditional in the role but I have neither. Of the following list what would recommend to go with this yeast? Pick one or a blend if you think that will work better. I have a to more hops on hand but I am not listing the punchy American ones because I don't think that's what I want here.

Mittelfruh
Tettnanger
Strisselspalt
Aramis
Santiam
Mt. Hood
Sterling
Crystal
EKG
Fuggle
Triskel

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
Re: Hops to go with WLP500 in a Single
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2017, 01:17:26 pm »
Those are all excellent options.  For bittering, you might want to use whichever hop you think you enjoy the LEAST, if any (just to use it up), and for flavor/aroma use the one you think you will like the BEST and/or the one with the lowest alpha acid since at 5 minutes it won't add many IBUs anyway.  But you really can't go wrong with any of those, in any combination.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Big Monk

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2017, 01:18:45 pm »
WLP500 is the Chimay yeast. I'm not sure you'd want to ferment that cool. I know that Chimay begins in the high 60s and finishes high as well.

I understand that you may not want to start that high but I know from using 1214 that it likes to ferment a little warmer.

I'd say Tettnang at around 30 BU would be appropriate for the style.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2017, 01:22:10 pm »
Yeah, those are all good options there. And Sterling has Saaz lineage FWIW.
Jon H.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2017, 01:23:45 pm »
WLP500 is the Chimay yeast. I'm not sure you'd want to ferment that cool. I know that Chimay begins in the high 60s and finishes high as well.

I understand that you may not want to start that high but I know from using 1214 that it likes to ferment a little warmer.

OTOH, I hate 1214 fermented higher than 63.  Too much banana and bubblegum that Chimay doesn't have.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Big Monk

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2017, 01:26:13 pm »

OTOH, I hate 1214 fermented higher than 63.  Too much banana and bubblegum that Chimay doesn't have.

66 °F is a sweet spot for me. I don't want to derail, but there are other factors besides temperature that come into play as well. As long as you don't go too low and stall it, it is a great yeast.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2017, 01:27:16 pm »
My first choice for this style is Styrians, but since you don't have those I'd go with Tett and/or EKG.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2017, 01:41:27 pm »

Yeah, 64 max for me. I get a banana bomb much above that. I thought I read in BLAM that they hold 64F for a day or two, then allow to rise. Could be wrong. Regardless I'm sure our 1214/500 isn't the exact strain they're playing with, after they've repitched for so long and mutations have likely changed its character a bit.
Jon H.

Offline neddles

• Brewer
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2017, 03:00:31 pm »
Ok, wow, a ton of great feedback. Thanks everyone. The EKG/Tett combo is intriguing especially since I was thinking EKG/Santiam (tett derivative) at one point. But I think I may save that combo for an upcoming saison.
I am leaning toward Sterling for those 20 and 5 minute additions. I am probably going to do a 30 minute boil for this so I may actually use Magnum at that point in the boil for most of my IBUs (will shoot for ~30ibu)

Other thought on the recipe/process? I know these yeasts can require some finesse/experience. In light of that what is a safe bet for my first run with this yeast in terms of oxygenating the wort. Lately I have been just doing a 1 minute shake of the carboy and a healthy active SNS starter for most strains. Thoughts here?

On temperature… lots of reports of 500/1214 getting really fruity above 64 like Jon said. I don't want too much of that so I think I will keep it down for this recipe.

How about water. Cl-40-50 and SO4-60-70 sound good? Shoot for mash pH of 5.3

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2017, 03:11:59 pm »
Oh, you have Magnum, too?  Interestingly, I used Magnum, of all things, as a dry hop in my last batch, and it turned out great!  Not just for bittering anymore!  :)

Regarding aeration, I pretty much don't anymore.  If you have a good vital yeast starter, you're fine.

For temperatures, like others, I would begin in the low 60s and then allow to free rise, then keep it warm for the last part of the fermentation to prevent stalling.

For water, I'd double the chloride... but I'm also not certain that this is essential or detectable in the final beer either.  The profile you've selected looks just fine too.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2017, 03:34:27 pm »
I'd go hall-mitt and tett. I get spicy and floral from that combo which ought to play nice with that style.

Denny would prefer you go 100% fuggles and about 60 IBU, plus whirlpool and dry hopped. Maybe even throw a pound in a Randal

Offline neddles

• Brewer
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2017, 03:39:05 pm »
I'd go hall-mitt and tett. I get spicy and floral from that combo which ought to play nice with that style.

Denny would prefer you go 100% fuggles and about 60 IBU, plus whirlpool and dry hopped. Maybe even throw a pound in a Randal
Dont forget 3# of wheat for head retention

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2017, 03:46:03 pm »

Dont forget 3# of wheat for head retention
Rye!

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2017, 04:23:36 pm »

You know me SO well!  ;)
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline coolman26

• Brewmaster
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2017, 04:36:43 pm »
Looks good to me, I like Tett and Crystal. Never used this yeast, but look forward to what you do. Chimay is hard to beat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jeff B