Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Boiling on the Zymatic to dechlorinate  (Read 2162 times)

Offline banjo-guy

• Assistant Brewer
Boiling on the Zymatic to dechlorinate
« on: January 27, 2017, 11:14:58 am »
I'm brewing my first German Pilsner and am using the Jever water profile from Bru'n Water. I always use water that has been filtered through a Brita Filter to remover chlorine.

I collected the water and as I poured it into the keg that is used by the Zymatic for the boil and for circulating water for mash heat-up I smelled chlorine. I ran a 30 minute boil to remove chlorine and let the water sit in the keg for an hour of so.

I am now wondering how the water profile was effected by boiling and not decanting. I had already adjusted the water with gypsum and lactic acid.

Here is my water after the additions and before boiling to remove chlorine.
Calcium     Magnesium     Sodium      Sulfate        Chloride 
44             11                27             79              52
Water volume 3.5 gallons, Batch Volume 2.5  gallons   

Estimated Mash PH 5.21

5 lbs Pilsner
1 lbs Munich
« Last Edit: January 27, 2017, 11:18:05 am by banjo-guy »

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
Re: Boiling on the Zymatic to dechlorinate
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2017, 01:18:43 pm »
Just taking a quick glance, I don't think that boiling would have much effect on your water composition because I don't see carbonates in your water profile.  Did you see any hard water scum after boiling?

FYI, I smell chlorine in my hot liquor tank, but I haven't had problems with chlorine or chlorophenols in the final product.  I do know that the chlorine levels are reliably low in my water supply.  I do let the chlorine dissipate overnight and heat up the mash and sparge water uncovered.

Offline banjo-guy

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2017, 05:21:37 pm »
I didn't really consider that boiling the water could change the water profile until I noticed the sticky that Martin posted about decarbonation by boiling. In the future I'll use campden tablets.

The keg doesn't have as much surface area as a kettle and the Zymatic " boils" at 209 F. In addition I'm not sure what temperature has to be reached for chlorine to off gas.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2017, 09:52:25 am »
I didn't really consider that boiling the water could change the water profile until I noticed the sticky that Martin posted about decarbonation by boiling. In the future I'll use campden tablets.

The keg doesn't have as much surface area as a kettle and the Zymatic " boils" at 209 F. In addition I'm not sure what temperature has to be reached for chlorine to off gas.

Room temp.  If it's chlorine and not chloramine, you're going to extra effort that's unnecessary.  If you simply let you water sit overnight it will dechlorinate itself.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline banjo-guy

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2017, 11:48:15 am »
  I was all ready to brew, had the water in the keg and didn't want to wait overnight. Boiling seemed like a quick fix but I didn't think about the possible changes in water chemistry (if any) from boiling.
This not a life changing problem it's just something I'm wondering about.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2017, 01:11:34 pm »
  I was all ready to brew, had the water in the keg and didn't want to wait overnight. Boiling seemed like a quick fix but I didn't think about the possible changes in water chemistry (if any) from boiling.
This not a life changing problem it's just something I'm wondering about.

got it
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell