Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: German Lager Strain  (Read 5058 times)

Offline el_capitan

• Brewer
Re: German Lager Strain
« Reply #30 on: January 28, 2017, 10:39:14 am »
I like 2633 for maltier beers and 2278 for drier ones. That said, I don't have easy access to liquid yeast, and 34/70 does just fine for the vast majority of my lagers.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Are you saving slurry and repitching from the dry strain?  I have yet to try 34/70.  My go-to German lager yeast has been WY2308 Munich Lager.  It has done well with a Dunkel, Schwarzbier, Vienna Lager, and Helles.  I have a pilsner going with S-189 right now but that's my first attempt with dry lager strains. 

Offline braufessor

• Brewer
« Reply #31 on: January 28, 2017, 11:00:17 am »
I recently used this in 2 pilsners, a dortmunder and currently in a czech dark lager..... so far, I have been really pleased with it.  http://www.theyeastbay.com/brewers-yeast-products/hessian-pils

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #32 on: January 28, 2017, 07:20:11 pm »
I have settled on 830 and 833, for dry and malty, respectively.

I have used a few others, such as 835 X and 838. I like X, but it is in between 830 and 833 to my palate.

2206 might be worth using in some split batches for evaluation.

When I have asked some small Bavarian Brewers what the used, they just said lager yeast. They would get a big pitch from the larger brewery down the road or in the next town, that brewed more frequently. They didn't know which strain.
Is 833 stupid slow to flocc for you? It has been for me on my recent string of beers with it. Every single beer.
Haven't noticed. Have a new package, will see soon.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #33 on: January 29, 2017, 06:01:33 am »
I like 2633 for maltier beers and 2278 for drier ones. That said, I don't have easy access to liquid yeast, and 34/70 does just fine for the vast majority of my lagers.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Are you saving slurry and repitching from the dry strain?  I have yet to try 34/70.  My go-to German lager yeast has been WY2308 Munich Lager.  It has done well with a Dunkel, Schwarzbier, Vienna Lager, and Helles.  I have a pilsner going with S-189 right now but that's my first attempt with dry lager strains.
I've never bothered saving slurry from dry yeast, since the main advantage of dry yeast for me is that I can keep a bank of packets in the fridge that are ready to go at a moment's notice. More and more of my brewdays are last-minute deals for me as of late.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer