Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: The Chimay Yeast  (Read 5582 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: The Chimay Yeast
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2017, 09:51:50 am »
The use of wheat in Chimay recipes seems odd to me. It always has.

Yet if you take into account the great influence DeClerck had on the brewery, and how the classic 4 step mash he advocated is likely still used, you can see that any benefits to head retention wheat may have is simply making up for the fact that head is being impaired by the protein rest.

So....

Skip any ingredient based head retention techniques on your next Chimay and instead use a 63/72/77 °C step mash for 25/30/10 min in their place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AFAIK, wheat is no longer used.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Big Monk

« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2017, 10:23:49 am »

Yet if you take into account the great influence DeClerck had on the brewery, and how the classic 4 step mash he advocated is likely still used, you can see that any benefits to head retention wheat may have is simply making up for the fact that head is being impaired by the protein rest.

So....

Skip any ingredient based head retention techniques on your next Chimay and instead use a 63/72/77 °C step mash for 25/30/10 min in their place.

That's been my observation as well. I love Chimay but I wonder if the protein rest is causing what I have been observing as a lack in head retention.

They pour with wonderful, frothy foam stands and the lacing is great but the head doesn't persist.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2017, 10:38:01 am »

So....

That's been my observation as well. I love Chimay but I wonder if the protein rest is causing what I have been observing as a lack in head retention.

They pour with wonderful, frothy foam stands and the lacing is great but the head doesn't persist.

This is my bible for foam.  I have found it to be much more helpful than step mashes and ingredient changes.  http://byo.com/stories/article/indices/35-head-retention/697-getting-good-beer-foam-techniques

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Big Monk

« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2017, 10:49:13 am »

So....

This is my bible for foam.  I have found it to be much more helpful than step mashes and ingredient changes.  http://byo.com/stories/article/indices/35-head-retention/697-getting-good-beer-foam-techniques

I was referencing actual Chimay.

I have had no issues in my own versions.

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2017, 10:52:46 am »
I had a Chimay White on draft last night and was surprised at how hazy it was even out of a keg - not that I have an issue with it.
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2017, 10:53:14 am »
I had a Chimay White on draft last night and was surprised at how hazy it was even out of a keg - not that I have an issue with it.

always has been IIRC

www.dennybrew.com

Big Monk

« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2017, 10:56:57 am »

always has been IIRC

Yeah. None of them are brilliant. They filter but then re-yeast for bottle conditioning.

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2017, 11:02:50 am »
Yeah, but this was on draft - so I assume it was not naturally carbonated, though I could be wrong.
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Big Monk

The Chimay Yeast
« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2017, 11:08:34 am »
Yeah, but this was on draft - so I assume it was not naturally carbonated, though I could be wrong.

I was always under the impression that they ship offsite for packaging. Basically send carbonated beer for packaging. I may be wrong.

EDIT: found it:

Still not 100% sure about kegs though.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2017, 05:20:22 pm by Big Monk »

narvin

« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2017, 05:44:52 pm »
I don't remember a lot of great head retention on higher gravity Belgian ales, especially the Trappists.  Obviously this is a big generalization -- Duvel and some others (usually light in color and body) can be pillowy and long laating.  The high carbonation can mask it due to constant foam.

Big Monk

« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2017, 05:57:33 pm »
I don't remember a lot of great head retention on higher gravity Belgian ales, especially the Trappists.  Obviously this is a big generalization -- Duvel and some others (usually light in color and body) can be pillowy and long laating.  The high carbonation can mask it due to constant foam.

That's what I was thinking. I think the protein rest hinders them as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

narvin

« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2017, 11:08:28 am »

But, the beers are delicious.  So is it a bad thing?  Remember, they are going for "digestibility".

Big Monk

« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2017, 11:22:31 am »

But, the beers are delicious.  So is it a bad thing?  Remember, they are going for "digestibility".

Dude, I absolutely agree!

I just like finding things like this that may help when doing original recipes inspired by these beers.