Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Making Norther Brewers "Off the Topper" Juicy?  (Read 10455 times)

Offline ultravista

• Brewer
Making Norther Brewers "Off the Topper" Juicy?
« on: January 24, 2017, 07:42:25 am »
I have brewed Norther Brewers "Off the Topper" Heady Topper clone a few times now and have one kit left in the freezer. This clone has never been 'juicy' to me but a solid hop forward beer. A great brew, but with all of the NEIPA talking happening now, I would like to tweak the recipe to change it up a bit - make a juicy IPA.

Grains & Sugars:
-- 12 lb Fawcett Pearl Malt
-- 12 oz Baird’s Light Carastan Malt
-- 12 oz White Wheat Malt
-- 1 lbs Brun Leger sugar

Hops: Hopshot, Columbus, Simcoe, Amarillo, Centennial, Apollo

How do I make this a juicy IPA? Add to the grain bill, substitute hops (Citra / Mosaic) or?

What would you do?

The Beerery

Re: Making Norther Brewers "Off the Topper" Juicy?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2017, 07:45:39 am »
I have brewed Norther Brewers "Off the Topper" Heady Topper clone a few times now and have one kit left in the freezer. This clone has never been 'juicy' to me but a solid hop forward beer. A great brew, but with all of the NEIPA talking happening now, I would like to tweak the recipe to change it up a bit - make a juicy IPA.

Grains & Sugars:

How do I make this a juicy IPA? Add to the grain bill, substitute hops (Citra / Mosaic) or?

What would you do?

Juicy hop flavors are all about Low oxygen. You will need to make sure you are dryhopping in a low oxygen method.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2017, 08:44:26 am »

Grains & Sugars:

What would you do?

What is the quantity and schedule of hops? "Juicy" starts to come in at the 2+ ounce per gallon hopping rate between whirlpool and dry hops.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline neddles

• Brewer
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2017, 09:45:16 am »
I have created "juicy" NEIPA several times over by a few different methods. The one consistent factor is having significant insoluable protein in the beer at the time of dry hopping. That can be done several ways. Then keeping it cold. Low O2 might help keep the character around longer but is not requisite for creating it.

Offline bayareabrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2017, 09:47:06 am »

Grains & Sugars:

What would you do?

Juicy hop flavors are all about Low oxygen. You will need to make sure you are dryhopping in a low oxygen method.

I disagree and my experience with some breweries that are producing exceptionally juicy IPA's are not utilizing german LODO methods.

Offline bayareabrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2017, 09:48:59 am »
I have created "juicy" NEIPA several times over by a few different methods. The one consistent factor is having significant insoluable protein in the beer at the time of dry hopping. That can be done several ways. Then keeping it cold. Low O2 might help keep the character around longer but is not requisite for creating it.

a very small brewery here in northern California that is producing award winning Juicy IPA's batch sparges and follows absolutely zero LODO principles. I couldn't agree more with you.

The Beerery

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2017, 09:51:29 am »

Grains & Sugars:

What would you do?

I disagree and my experience with some breweries that are producing exceptionally juicy IPA's are not utilizing german LODO methods.

Never called them "German LODO methods"...........

I specifically said Low oxygen method. That would be dryhopping with active yeast present (a low oxygen method as the yeasts can consume the oxygen). As biotransformation is needed in these styles. Are you denying that?

Offline bayareabrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2017, 09:56:42 am »

Grains & Sugars:

What would you do?

I specifically said Low oxygen method. That would be dryhopping with active yeast present (a low oxygen method as the yeasts can consume the oxygen). As biotransformation is needed in these styles. Are you denying that?

why not just say "dryhop at high krausen bud?

Offline bayareabrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2017, 09:57:14 am »
that's a little more clear and helpful than "all about low oxygen" don't you think?

The Beerery

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2017, 09:58:36 am »

Grains & Sugars:

What would you do?

Because "bud" thats part of a low oxygen method...........

Offline bayareabrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2017, 09:59:36 am »

Grains & Sugars:

What would you do?

Becuase "bud" thats part of a low oxygen method there skippy...........

its also part of plain ole brewing for us amateur hobbyists.

Big Monk

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2017, 10:04:25 am »

Grains & Sugars:

What would you do?

Becuase "bud" thats part of a low oxygen method there skippy...........

its also part of plain ole brewing for us amateur hobbyists.

Don't you tire of stirring the pot?

There was ZERO negativity in the response concerning dryhopping methods.

You've now derailed another thread because you are perpetually butthurt.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2017, 10:07:05 am »

Grains & Sugars:

What would you do?

I agree with your disagreement.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline bayareabrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2017, 10:09:27 am »

correcting misinformation and disagreeing with a member is "stirring the pot"? I'd say calling someone "perpetually butthurt" might be a little more pot stirring my friend. All the best, just trying to help this fella make a juicy beer.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2017, 10:13:14 am »

Don't you tire of stirring the pot?

There was ZERO negativity in the response concerning dryhopping methods.

You've now derailed another thread because you are perpetually butthurt.

And I'm about to drop the hammer.  Bryan's response could certainly have been clearer.  It's as if low O2 is the answer fore everything, even if it obscures the real answer.   But that's my opinion.  Please, let's all keep it civil.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell