Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: New maltster in town  (Read 2095 times)

Offline troybinso

• Brewer
New maltster in town
« on: January 25, 2017, 02:39:17 pm »
I just got approached by a guy in town who is just starting to sell malt from local wheat and barley. I am really excited to use it and I want to come up with a recipe that exhibits the three malts he has available. There is a pilsner malt (2.4 lovibond), a soft white wheat malt (3.3) and a hard red winter wheat munich malt (8.9). I am thinking maybe 50%-25%-25%. Any ideas on hops and yeast?

Offline el_capitan

• Brewer
Re: New maltster in town
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2017, 05:58:09 pm »
I recently brewed something similar as a test batch for my sister's upcoming wedding.  She wanted a beer like Shenanigans from Indeed Brewery, which is a really light summer ale.  I used Sorachi Ace, which is what the brewery uses.  It came out really nice - with lots of soft malt character backing up the lemony hops.  At first it was a bit too lemony - kind of like a shandy.  Over the next month or so it really settled down and melded together.  Calypso might be another nice option, since it's supposed to have a distinct orange character, although I haven't used that one yet. 

WY1450 is always a nice yeast to use, since it will accentuate the malt and hops flavors, while giving a great body to the beer.  I think it's cool that you're supporting the local brewing economy.  Cheers!

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2017, 06:01:06 pm »
I'm lucky to have a local master that I get most of my malt from. Part of the fun is engineering recipes from the available ingredients.
It's obviously not traditional but I could imagine that being the base of a very nice APA. If you had some local hops it could be all local.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline natebrews

• Brewer
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2017, 06:13:13 pm »
Are you using Valley Malt?  I looked into their stuff but haven't tried any yet.

To the OP, what kind of beers are you thinking you might make?  I would think that some blonde ale, cream ale, or a pilsner hopped with some american "noble" hops might be nice.  Maybe some sterling, ultra, liberty, etc.  But I would keep it lightly hopped since you want to show off the malt. 
« Last Edit: January 25, 2017, 06:28:21 pm by natebrews »
Risk of failure should be no deterrent to trying.

Offline el_capitan

• Brewer
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2017, 06:32:18 pm »
Are you using Valley Malt?  I looked into their stuff but haven't tried any yet.

To the OP, what kind of beers are you thinking you might make?  I would think that some blonde ale, cream ale, or a pilsner hopped with some american "noble" hops might be nice.  Maybe some sterling, ultra, liberty, etc.  But I would keep it lightly hopped since you want to show off the malt.

Those are some nice, clean, herbal hops varieties.  I really like Sterling, and I grow them at home.  I just brewed a Sterling Pilsner that is fermenting now.  I agree that a lighter beer with a simple hops schedule would be a good start. 

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2017, 06:48:57 pm »

Yes, Valley Malt. I have been getting the Malt of the Month share which is actually 2 pick ups per year. Each time you get 50# of pale or pilsner, your choice, and a whole bunch of specialty malts and usually 5# bags of Munich or Vienna.

Offline Philbrew

• Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2017, 08:36:36 pm »
I just got approached by a guy in town who is just starting to sell malt from local wheat and barley. I am really excited to use it and I want to come up with a recipe that exhibits the three malts he has available. There is a pilsner malt (2.4 lovibond), a soft white wheat malt (3.3) and a hard red winter wheat munich malt (8.9). I am thinking maybe 50%-25%-25%. Any ideas on hops and yeast?
OK, so I'm over in Hermiston.  I'd like to give his malt a try.
Many of us would be on a strict liquid diet if it weren't for pretzels.

Offline troybinso

• Brewer
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2017, 09:06:29 pm »
I am in Walla Walla. There is also a guy in Baker city doing something similar.

I am actually using this malt for my professional brewery but I have been on this forum for a long time and find the information shared here is much more interesting than on professional brewers forums. At least for discussion of recipes and ingredients.

PM me for more info about the malt or the brewery.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Offline troybinso

• Brewer
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2017, 09:17:49 pm »
To the others - I am definitely thinking something light on hops. I want to be able to taste the malt. Also, I don't really wavy to do a lager. Maybe a simpler blonde ale. Or what about a hefeweizen? Is the yeast to expressive to allow the malt to shine?

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2017, 05:23:21 am »
To the others - I am definitely thinking something light on hops. I want to be able to taste the malt. Also, I don't really wavy to do a lager. Maybe a simpler blonde ale. Or what about a hefeweizen? Is the yeast to expressive to allow the malt to shine?

I wasn't thinking of it as a wheat beer because I'm not sure if that the Munich will express itself as wheat so much. (I was going with your suggested grist) If you want to drop the Munich maybe an Wheat Beer with clean yeast and noble hops.
What color do you think it will be. I'm thinking a light orange.
The thing about local malt is that you can't use software as easily to predict what you will get like known brands, You will need some small batch tests.

Offline troybinso

• Brewer
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2017, 11:50:26 am »
I have the color coming out around 6.1 SRM, which is just on the higher end of Weissbier. There is certified analysis of the malts with SRM given - but I hear you that they may be off because of the small nature of the maltster.

The munich is actually a toasted wheat in the style of munich barley malt. I just thought it would be cool to throw that in because I have never seen a malt like this, and it tasted really good when I crunched on it. Maybe I will drop the munich wheat down a little bit to get the color lower and to lower the malt intensity

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2017, 04:13:37 pm »
The munich is actually a toasted wheat in the style of munich barley malt.

That sounds like an interesting malt to work with. Toasted munich wheat malt?  Cool.

Offline troybinso

• Brewer
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2017, 05:51:38 pm »
The munich is actually a toasted wheat in the style of munich barley malt.

That sounds like an interesting malt to work with. Toasted munich wheat malt?  Cool.

That's what I thought. And it's grown only about a mile from the brewery.

Offline JJeffers09

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2017, 04:59:55 am »
That dark wheat should fit perfectly for any weissbier

Sent from my SM-N920C using Tapatalk

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

AHA Member
Indiana Brewers Union (IBU)