Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Bayou Classic 16gal SV build  (Read 2096 times)

Offline JJeffers09

• Senior Brewmaster
Bayou Classic 16gal SV build
« on: January 25, 2017, 08:44:16 am »
Out with the old in with the new.  Trying for a SV propane then build into an electric RIMS down the road.

64qt Bayou Classic
15" false bottom
15.5 gallon BIAB
Bayite DC pump -2.1GPM

Looking for advice for anyone working with these kettles right now.  Any issues anyone has had with the false bottom or with this little high temp pump.  I didn't want to put to much $$ into this in case I modified for low dissolved oxygen brewing with a 2V set up.  If that's possible.

Thus far I have the ball valve drilled.

The false bottom

I'm not sure how high to put the brew thermometer, currently it is marked for 4.5 gallons but not drilled

The baby DC pump that I want to feed through the Lid into a spray nossel.  The pump is a high temp.  Says it can handle boiling Temp but would not use outside of Mash Temps..

Sent from my SM-N920C using Tapatalk

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

AHA Member
Indiana Brewers Union (IBU)

Offline Bob357

• Brewmaster
  • Consensus means nothing to me. I am who I am.
Re: Bayou Classic 16gal SV build
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2017, 09:45:11 am »
Please post your results once you put it to use. I've been looking at that pump for much the same use in my BIAB kettle. Amazon shows mixed reviews on the pump. I often dismiss a lot of the them, as many appear to be written by total morons. It would be nice to get an opinion that I can trust.

Thanks,

Bob
Beer is my bucket list,

Bob357
Fallon, NV

Offline BairsBrewing

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2017, 11:29:16 am »
Out with the old in with the new.  Trying for a SV propane then build into an electric RIMS down the road.

64qt Bayou Classic
15" false bottom
15.5 gallon BIAB
Bayite DC pump -2.1GPM

Looking for advice for anyone working with these kettles right now.  Any issues anyone has had with the false bottom or with this little high temp pump.  I didn't want to put to much $$ into this in case I modified for low dissolved oxygen brewing with a 2V set up.  If that's possible.

Thus far I have the ball valve drilled.

The false bottom

I'm not sure how high to put the brew thermometer, currently it is marked for 4.5 gallons but not drilled

The baby DC pump that I want to feed through the Lid into a spray nossel.  The pump is a high temp.  Says it can handle boiling Temp but would not use outside of Mash Temps..

What is the model of the pump? I'm considering a second one for my mash recirculation, the big pump I have is too strong and I have to close the out valve to restrict flow

Offline JJeffers09

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2017, 11:32:03 am »
7A015

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

AHA Member

Offline BairsBrewing

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2017, 12:16:21 pm »
7A015

Sweet! Thanks!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Offline JJeffers09

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2017, 10:26:50 am »
Got some brews in with the pump and this awesome kettle.  I got the quirks worked out with the pump, and it is chugging away beautifully.  Gave me a little hick up the first couple times using it, but I think they were cleaning issues.  I am now recircing my cleaning solution for 10 mins and saniwater for 2mins or so before I store the pump.  All in all it is working out well.

AHA Member

Offline old.va.brewer

• 1st Kit
Bayou Classic 16gal SV build
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2017, 10:44:03 am »
Think about your batch size. And the fact that heat rises. If you are doing a 10 gallon mash, then think about the 6- 8 gallon level. Never place the therm. Where heat from flame or heater coils can give you false readings. The length of the prob will also make a Big difference on your true temp. 2-4" probs will tend to be less accurate than 8-10". Once you decide on a location experiment with water to see what temps you are getting with another thermometer. Don't worry about boil temp,You can see that happen. It's knowing strike water temps and mash temps.
Good Brewing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: March 27, 2017, 10:48:51 am by old.va.brewer »

Offline JJeffers09

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2017, 11:02:16 am »
Think about your batch size. And the fact that heat rises. If you are doing a 10 gallon mash, then think about the 6- 8 gallon level. Never place the therm. Where heat from flame or heater coils can give you false readings. The length of the prob will also make a Big difference on your true temp. 2-4" probs will tend to be less accurate than 8-10". Once you decide on a location experiment with water to see what temps you are getting with another thermometer. Don't worry about boil temp,You can see that happen. It's knowing strike water temps and mash temps.
Good Brewing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Agreed, the "3 thermometer is not working out, in fact I never put it in.  I sent it back for a refund.  The thermometer was extremely slow.  By the time I hit strike, my thermocouple said it was 12°F higher than the current read.  So ditched it and am sticking to the c-28 Ktype thermocouple

AHA Member