Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: who filters?  (Read 1807 times)

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
who filters?
« on: January 24, 2017, 06:05:35 am »
We recently got a centrifuge at YHB and I am super excited about the clarity of our beer. I want to start filtering my 5 gallons batches. Anyone have any recommendation? Suggestions? Hints and tips?

The Beerery

Re: who filters?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2017, 06:33:30 am »
I have yet to conquer filtering on the HB scale... way to much oxygen pick up and flavor deterioration. I have tried the standard plates, and cartridge filters. I have plans for a DE based filter, but have not put it together yet.

Offline 69franx

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2017, 11:51:15 am »
Brian, for the DE filter, is that something like a small pool filter using the DE? I remember working with huge DE filters back when I spent my summers lifeguarding
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

The Beerery

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2017, 12:15:37 pm »
Brian, for the DE filter, is that something like a small pool filter using the DE? I remember working with huge DE filters back when I spent my summers lifeguarding

Pretty much, yea.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2017, 05:53:17 pm »
I have yet to conquer filtering on the HB scale... way to much oxygen pick up and flavor deterioration. I have tried the standard plates, and cartridge filters. I have plans for a DE based filter, but have not put it together yet.

I'd be interested in seeing your plans once you put it together. Regardless, these would be filtered and served within a couple of days. Do you have any "ease of use" or "this one worked better" feedback? Thanks!

The Beerery

who filters?
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2017, 06:35:52 pm »
Probably your standard plate filter with 1 micron pads. The .5's strip way too much.  Now that I have my vacuum pump setup I may try it again.
Wet the pads, push out the sani with beer. Discard about the first qt or 2. The hardest part is getting a proper purge on the receiving keg. I would do a Sani-purge, and hope for the best.  Give the beer a few days to "settle" after. When I did that I saw flavor degradation in about a week or so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk