Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Old bottles  (Read 1896 times)

Offline 69franx

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Bloatarian Brewing League
Old bottles
« on: January 24, 2017, 04:46:59 pm »
So I have inherited an almost 40 year old case of Stroh's returnable long necks in the old style hard sided case. It has been sitting with open tops up in my father's garage since he stopped drinking a lot of beer. Has anyone cleaned up. Ottles this old to use for their own home brew? I have no idea how durable le bottles were back then, but I would guess pretty strong if they were returned to be used over and over again. They are going to take some elbow grease to clean up, just not sure if it will be worth it. Ideally, I would rather not soak them as I would like to keep the labels on. Anyone have any thoughts?

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
Re: Old bottles
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2017, 04:57:16 pm »
Back when my dad homebrewed in the mid 90's, he ended up with several cases of returnable miller lite bottles. When I started brewing, he gave them to me.

I've not had any issues with them. The wax-coated carboard crates are way better than the bottles though, they're really nice compared to a regular cardboard box.
Corn is a fine adjunct in beer.

And don't buy stale beer.

Offline 69franx

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2017, 05:05:43 pm »
The box is what sold me. I have a supply of 5-10 older Cincinnati brewery cases like this from Hudepohl, Burger, and others. Unfortunately, all the interior dividers have been removed. They have been used as file boxes for decades by the company I work for

Frank L.
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline el_capitan

• Brewer
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2017, 05:32:51 pm »
I still have a couple cases of Old Milwaukee returnables here - the glass is a lot thicker and more durable.  I think your best option is to do a soak in Oxyclean, although that would certainly remove your labels.  You could just fill them most of the way with water, then dose each bottle with Oxyclean to loosen the crud.  Then hit them with a bottle blaster and follow up with a bottle brush.  If the case was closed, chances are that there's not too much junk in there.  However, I doubt the bottles were rinsed before storing, so they could have some extreme crusty mold going on.  Good luck!

Offline 69franx

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2017, 05:33:45 pm »
We will see what happens

Frank L.

Offline cascadesrunner

• Assistant Brewer
  • San Diego, CA
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2017, 10:23:24 pm »
Just put it up as beer art, bottles are easy to come by.
Run then beer.

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2017, 08:29:27 am »
  You could just fill them most of the way with water, then dose each bottle with Oxyclean to loosen the crud.  Then hit them with a bottle blaster and follow up with a bottle brush.  If the case was closed, chances are that there's not too much junk in there.  However, I doubt the bottles were rinsed before storing, so they could have some extreme crusty mold going on.  Good luck!

Or make oxyclean or b-brite solution and pour into bottles.  Returnable bottles are pretty hard to break.

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2017, 10:58:31 am »
Or make oxyclean or b-brite solution and pour into bottles.  Returnable bottles are pretty hard to break.

This is what I would do.  You're going to need to let them sit for some time and also probably to shake them.  A good soak (interior) should get most of you're gunk out of there.

It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline santoch

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Riverview, FL
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2017, 10:17:34 pm »
Something old like that, I'd hit with good old bleach too (just NOT as the last thing before bottling). Maybe even consider alternating oxyclean and bleach 2x each.  Nothing will survive that.  40 yrs of germ buildup needs a heavy hand, IMO, and bleach is a cheap way to both clean and kill everything.  Just be really sure to rinse  every bit of the bleach out when you are done and hit it with your sanitizer.

The bottles will be great, though.  Those old bottles were very thick.  All the old movies where the guy breaks the bottle on his head in a bar fight are complete BS.  You'd get killed trying that and the bottle wouldn't budge.

Looking for a club near my new house
BJCP GM3/Mead Judge

Offline 69franx

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2017, 10:24:38 pm »
Thanks Roger, Joe, and Steve. They are just sitting for now, will get down to business on them in the next week or so

Frank L.