Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: All Grain Questions  (Read 3622 times)

Offline JJeffers09

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: All Grain Questions
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2017, 11:52:50 am »

will not have to worry about boil over

Oh, man, you have a lot of faith!  I thought that the first time I used a keg for a 5 gal. batch.  Turned my back and it boiled over.  And that isn't the only time!

Well my last 3 7gallon only doubled volume.  Just been my recent experience, but it wouldn't be the first time I cleaned up a sticky boil over for an hour. :)
"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

AHA Member
Indiana Brewers Union (IBU)

Offline MrDonde

• Cellarman
  • Aspiring Brewmaster
    • Snow Lion Brewing
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2017, 08:32:01 pm »
As to sparging, I recommend batch sparging with 2 iterations. I get much better efficiency with 2 than 1 even if my mash tun is big enough to hold both. 

I find this very intersting.  My reopeated testing has found that I only get at most a 2 point increase with an additional sparge, which for me is not enough to hassle with.  I wonder why there's such a difference.
I generally do not stir the mash either during mashing or sparging.  With 1, I get about 65% efficiency and with 2, 75%.  I imagine mixing could change the results quite a bit.

I don't stir either.  With one sparge I average 83%.

Thank you much for the listed out replies.

Do you have any suggestions for a good pickup tubes that works well with keggles?

As for the pump, I think I have it setup correctly but might not be following the correct steps to get it running. Going to post in the equipment section to see if people can give me information.
-Donde

Offline nero558

• 1st Kit
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2017, 08:25:26 am »
I use this pickup tube for my hlt and it gets everything but 8oz . http://www.bargainfittings.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=46_71&product_id=94

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Offline nero558

• 1st Kit
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2017, 08:26:24 am »
I use a whirlpool pick up tube for my boil kettle. And my false bottom has one that goes through it, but in don't remember where I got it.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2017, 11:00:27 am »

Oh, man, you have a lot of faith!  I thought that the first time I used a keg for a 5 gal. batch.  Turned my back and it boiled over.  And that isn't the only time!
I have suspicions that the wort knows when you turn your back. Sneaky that wort is.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2017, 11:12:51 am »

I have suspicions that the wort knows when you turn your back. Sneaky that wort is.

IT'S ALIVE!

Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2017, 04:28:50 pm »

+1

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk