Author Topic: Captain Morgan  (Read 953 times)

Offline el_capitan

• Brewer
    • View Profile
Captain Morgan
« on: January 25, 2017, 06:28:39 PM »

Hey everybody -

I'm Morgan, and I live in Alexandria, MN.  I started brewing the same year I started teaching - 2005. I brewed some root beer with my 7th grade Life Science students and realized, "Hey!  I can brew real beer too!"  My friend's dad taught me to brew and gave me a starter set of equipment, and I was off and running.

Teaching science is a great job, and brewing is such a scientific hobby that I've been happily brewing and learning now for 12 years.  I brewed with extract for the first year, then moved on to AG.  Now I brew the occasional extract batch but I'm still mostly AG. 

I teach a couple beginner's homebrew classes each year at a local LHBS, and I act as kind of a local "brewing advisor".  In my community, I find that a lot of people brew but there isn't a solid homebrewing community, so I'm focused on connecting people who brew and widening the community. 

A couple friends of mine who I met through brewing about four years ago have just opened a brewpub in town, the first in over 70 years.  It's been cool to be working with them behind the scenes as they planned it out, brewed test batches, and built the brewery.  I have had the opportunity to brew a few batches with them, which has been really cool.  It's called Copper Trail Brewery - check 'em out!

I have to say that brewing has opened up a whole new world for me.  Once I got started with the DIY mindset, I quickly got involved with gardening, composting, woodworking and carpentry, etc.  I'm always interested in learning new things and I get a lot of joy out of the creative process.  I started quilting before I started brewing, and that is a great creative outlet involving color theory, mathematics, design, and an element of spontaneity - much like brewing.  I also teach beginner's quilting classes from time to time. 

I took my username for obvious reasons - during college my college radio DJ name was Captain Morgan.  Spanish is a fun language that sticks with me for some reason, so El Capitan it is.  I have to thank the AHA members and those who used to frequent the NB forum for sharing so much information over the years.  Continually learning from this community has helped me to keep growing as a brewer, and I share a lot of the information I learn here with other local brewers.  So, thanks you guys! 

With three young boys, I don't have as much time as I used to for forum posting, but I still read a lot of the info here and appreciate the community we've built.  Rock on!
« Last Edit: January 26, 2017, 05:36:33 PM by el_capitan »

Offline HoosierBrew

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
    • View Profile
Re: Captain Morgan
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2017, 07:17:01 PM »
Nice bio! Mine didn't come until I'd been on the forum a few years.  ;D.  And by the way, my wife is a high school teacher, so I respect your commitment. Cheers.
Jon H.

Offline el_capitan

• Brewer
    • View Profile
Re: Captain Morgan
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2017, 05:45:05 PM »
Thanks, HoosierBrew.  I updated this to add a photo - my boys are a lot bigger now but they still help me pick hops!