Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Re-pitching yeast in beer from barrels  (Read 1318 times)

Offline CVas

• 1st Kit
  • Master of my domain
Re-pitching yeast in beer from barrels
« on: January 30, 2017, 03:18:40 pm »
Ok, I have a big stout that has been sitting in barrels for a lil while and I am concerned that all the live yeast may be dead or very stressed from sitting in the beer for a while. I am planning on bottling this beer, do I need to add extra yeast to the batch to make sure the bottling sugar turns it into carbonation?

If so, how much yeast do I add? Liquid vs dry yeast? And please educate me on anything else that is helpful to know here.

Thanks in advance!
"Its not a lie, if you believe it."

-George Costanza

Offline bayareabrewer

• Brewmaster
Re: Re-pitching yeast in beer from barrels
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2017, 03:19:35 pm »
Ok, I have a big stout that has been sitting in barrels for a lil while and I am concerned that all the live yeast may be dead or very stressed from sitting in the beer for a while. I am planning on bottling this beer, do I need to add extra yeast to the batch to make sure the bottling sugar turns it into carbonation?

If so, how much yeast do I add? Liquid vs dry yeast? And please educate me on anything else that is helpful to know here.

Thanks in advance!

can you give more information. How long has the beer been in the barrel and what is the ABV of the beer?

Offline CVas

• 1st Kit
  • Master of my domain
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2017, 03:38:23 pm »
The beer has been sitting in the barrels for about 3 weeks (they are small 5 liter barrels). The ABV is 9%.
"Its not a lie, if you believe it."

-George Costanza

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2017, 03:44:15 pm »
At 3 weeks and 9% I've never had a problem. 

If you're concerned, there's no harm in adding a bottling yeast other than perhaps a larger amount of sediment.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline bayareabrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2017, 04:06:00 pm »
The beer has been sitting in the barrels for about 3 weeks (they are small 5 liter barrels). The ABV is 9%.

no need to reyeast. Prime and bottle as is.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2017, 04:19:24 pm »
Not a barrel expert per se, but I've done several that sit a while before final packaging. I have had good luck bottle conditioning ales after 3-4 months secondary on fruit, 10%+ without extra yeast. Bret beers I really don't worry anymore regardless of age in primary or secondary. Bret lives a long long long time. If ever you are worried though I have had good results pitching a small amount of champagne dry yeast (1/2 pack plenty for 5 gallons).

I concur that your situation will be totally fine as is.