Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: NE IPA Recipes  (Read 4655 times)

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Bloatarian Brewing League - Cincinnati, OH
    • Bloatarian Brewing League
NE IPA Recipes
« on: January 26, 2017, 06:50:17 pm »
I read some good stuff on this in another thread recently.  Going to give this a go with what I have on hand.  That said, it will be the second of two batches tomorrow (first is a Pils) and I'm able to modify the grain bill and/or quantities somewhat as I have a decent stock that needs to be used up.    Open to suggestions.  Also, feel free to hijack and post your own recipes. 

Plan is for first dry hop charge (listed as 10 days in the picture) to be added during active fermentation.  After fermentation slows, I'll transfer to secondary onto the mangos and my second dry hop charge. 

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

« Last Edit: January 26, 2017, 07:04:30 pm by JT »

Offline stpug

• Brewmaster
Re: NE IPA Recipes
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2017, 07:19:51 pm »
Depending on your process you will use for the "steeping", you may not get the level of IBU contribution that BS is suggesting.  There is a setting to adjust how much contribution you get from steeping hops if you follow a typical process and want to change it.  For instance, I drop my temp to ~170F before adding my steeping hops and I consider their contribution to be <5% of 60 minute bittering hops, IBU-wise.  In your case, it would be about the difference of 63 (adj) vs 76 (current) IBUs.  Nothing too major, but enough to be considered (IMHO).

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2017, 08:07:30 pm »
Depending on your process you will use for the "steeping", you may not get the level of IBU contribution that BS is suggesting.  There is a setting to adjust how much contribution you get from steeping hops if you follow a typical process and want to change it.  For instance, I drop my temp to ~170F before adding my steeping hops and I consider their contribution to be <5% of 60 minute bittering hops, IBU-wise.  In your case, it would be about the difference of 63 (adj) vs 76 (current) IBUs.  Nothing too major, but enough to be considered (IMHO).

Yeah I agree.  I don't put a whole lot of stock into the estimate numbers, but it does give a good reference point and makes future changes pretty easy.  I add my steeping hops around the same temp as you, but will be throwing about half of them in at flame out this time to extract a bit more bittering.  My fail-safe is the Warrior addition, I should get IPA level IBUs out of that addition alone.  The rest is really all for flavor. 

FWIW, the current calculation estimates are:
OG: 1.071
FG: 1.018 (We'll see how this plays out)
ABV: 7%
SRM: 5.5
IBU: 76

Batch size is 5 1/2 gallons.  Mash: single infusion/recirculating at 152. 

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2017, 09:00:55 am »
Have you looked at your water profile for that beer?
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline dilluh98

• Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2017, 09:24:37 am »
Have you looked at your water profile for that beer?

Agreed. Things seem to be circling around 100-120 ppm Cl and 100 ppm SO4 as the sweet spot.

I've also seen multiple reports of pale malt not giving what's desired for this style. Perhaps cut in some MO (or go all MO). Maybe your C20 addition and wheat malt will take care of that, I dunno. The best ones I've made have been simply 80% MO 20% flaked oats and acid malt to get me to 5.2 mash pH. Seems there's a billion ways to do the hops for this style but they all include "lots" of late hops and dry hops.

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2017, 02:21:17 pm »
Mash profile should be in the neighborhood of 80 SO4 and 105  Cl.  But when sparging with RO it really diluted those numbers.  Not sure why the target numbers reflect the mash profile instead of the finished, into the kettle profile.  I could, perhaps, add some salts straight to the boil kettle.

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2017, 02:32:12 pm »
After some quick and dirty guestimating on Brunwater I tossed in an extra gram of Epsom salt, half gram of gypsum and a gram of calcium chloride.  Boil was underway and this was in the back of my mind anyway.  Thanks for bringing it up. 

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2017, 12:17:48 pm »
Top cropping yeast and 1.070 OG wort, this beer is erupting even at 63°.  Smells great!

Offline coombre

• 1st Kit
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2017, 11:30:16 am »
That recipe looks solid.  Please let us know how it turned out.
BikingBurrowBrewing

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2017, 10:04:19 pm »
Update.  Beer has been in secondary for 3 days.  I racked on top of mangos and my first dry hop charge.  Added second dry hop charge today.  Gravity is 1.019, 1.070 OG.  Bumped temp up a few degrees.  Tastes pretty damn good right now.  Fingers crossed.  Will check on it again this weekend.

« Last Edit: February 07, 2017, 10:07:19 pm by JT »

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2017, 03:35:12 pm »

I'm not sure if it fits the bill for a NE IPA but this is one hoppy, citrusy, tasty IPA that is way more potent than what I'm accustomed to brewing.  Calculating this beer at around 7.8% ABV.  Maybe a bit too crushable... after visiting the tap a few times I think the ABV calculations are pretty accurate!
Cheers!

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2017, 04:04:01 pm »
Awesome looking beer, JT !
Jon H.

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2017, 04:33:30 pm »
Nice! Wish I could have a pint.

Offline 802Chris

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2017, 11:15:09 am »
Wow, that looks great! How do you feel the mango contributed?

Offline blatz

• Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2017, 01:25:31 pm »
Update.  Beer has been in secondary for 3 days.  I racked on top of mangos and my first dry hop charge.  Added second dry hop charge today.  Gravity is 1.019, 1.070 OG.  Bumped temp up a few degrees.  Tastes pretty damn good right now.  Fingers crossed.  Will check on it again this weekend.

I thought that was hamburger helper.  thankfully, the end result looks so much more appetizing than that!
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281