Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: State of the Forum  (Read 7427 times)

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
State of the Forum
« on: January 27, 2017, 06:55:59 am »
Lately, It seems every thread turns into a technique discussion or derails into some rabbit hole. For example, it goes something like this:

OP: what hops should I use for XYZ style?
A1: Cascade
A2: I live in Timbuktu
A3: I used to live there but the local beer sucked so I moved when I was five
A4: that's because you're brewing wrong. You have to use this spreadsheet for your cleaning solution otherwise your beer sucks.
A4: I disagree it has to be based on stone tablet writings or your beer sucks.
A5: Mosaic
A6: if I lived in Timbuktu I'd fish the crap water creek more.
A7: Brewing only works THIS way and if you don't do it like the Tibetan Buddhist Monks your beer sucks
A8: ...but Timbuktu is where I grew up and the river went dry
A9: I use Nelson Sauvin

...and on and on. Totally derailed from the initial post.

We gotta stay on point folks. The OP had something to say that is not currently being discussed so (s)he started a new thread.

If you want to discuss fishing that's cool. Start your own thread.

If you want to argue the advantages of brewing like Tibetan Buddhist Monks that's cool.  Start your own thread.

It's becoming a drag to come here to discuss experiences, techniques, and creations.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline tommymorris

Re: State of the Forum
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2017, 07:06:11 am »
Yes.

Offline Hand of Dom

• Brewer
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2017, 07:15:10 am »
magnum.
Dom

Currently drinking - Amarillo saison
Currently fermenting - Pale ale 1 - 2017

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2017, 07:34:56 am »
I agree, but the only fishing thing I remember was a thread I started and it was about fishing

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2017, 07:43:26 am »
Ummmm, 12!
Jesse

Offline JJeffers09

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2017, 07:50:07 am »
Bravo!

I'm a guilty one, it's difficult not to fall into this new rhythm the threads are taking.

Sent from my SM-N920C using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: January 27, 2017, 07:53:03 am by JJeffers09 »
"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

AHA Member
Indiana Brewers Union (IBU)

Offline Delo

• Brewer
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2017, 08:00:16 am »
Bravo!
Bravo hops are a terrible idea!  Tibetan monks would be rolling over in their graves.
Mark

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2017, 08:01:17 am »
I have mixed feelings..... I can see your point... We should indeed all try harder to always address the OP's concerns and tie back to the OP as much as possible.  And if not, yes, new thread.  But on the other hand, there are entertaining times as well.  A little bit of derail is a good thing.  Out of hand, a bad thing.  Yeah.  The most important thing is "balance".  It's all about "balance".  ;)
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2017, 08:16:48 am »
I think it depends on the thread. I've certainly learned quite a bit from the many derails that have happened on here.

Sometimes things turn into a derails when a low oxygen reference is made and people (again) start debating about if it really matters or not. Lately it seems those against low oxygen brewing have been stirring the pot, and that has resulted in a few threads getting derailed. Let the low oxygen folks say their piece and just move on, and debate them in another thread.

If a new member asked about starters, and someone suggested SNS instead of a stirplate, we wouldn't start debating if SNS starters are a valid approach or not.
Corn is a fine adjunct in beer.

And don't buy stale beer.

Offline theDarkSide

• Derry, NH
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2017, 08:19:59 am »
I just found Timbuktu on the map.  Don't think I want to go there if the beer sucks.

Also, I just bought a Timbuk 2 laptop case for someone at work, so there's that. :)
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline stpug

• Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2017, 08:20:21 am »
If a new member asked about starters, and someone suggested SNS instead of a stirplate, we wouldn't start debating if SNS starters are a valid approach or not.

...anymore :D

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2017, 08:23:50 am »

...anymore :D

Right. So why not start treating low oxygen the same way? We've got enough members touting its merits, and while I'll agree it's not for everyone, launching into an all-out debate every time someone says low oxygen will help is getting old.

A while back there were many threads about how to reduce oxygen at kegging/racking/cold crashing/etc. They've all dried up, in part because I think some folks don't want to bring up anything related to oxygen. We all need to just relax a bit.
Corn is a fine adjunct in beer.

And don't buy stale beer.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2017, 08:59:41 am »
Totally agree, Phil.
Jon H.

Big Monk

« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2017, 09:10:36 am »
Totally agree, Phil.

Very well said Phil. At the end of the day we are trying to help. If some people take that another way, then that's a personal decision, but at the heart of it is a desire to help people brew better beer (this doesn't mean you currently brew bad beer).

Offline dilluh98

• Brewmaster
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2017, 09:17:37 am »
Totally agree, Phil.

Yup. Low oxygen is trending the same way SNS did. It's pretty easy to see the similarities between Mark and Bryan (I mean this as a complement to both) for sticking to their guns and providing evidence-based results. The difference is that SNS is so flippin' easy I don't understand why so many bucked at the concept. Low oxygen, while still quite simple to implement, is a tad more involved.