Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: State of the Forum  (Read 7380 times)

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
Re: State of the Forum
« Reply #30 on: January 27, 2017, 10:40:43 am »
I think most posters on this forum treat threads as conversations...we act like we're all standing around talking. The issue is OP isn't standing next to us and we just kinda forget they're there...
Corn is a fine adjunct in beer.

And don't buy stale beer.

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #31 on: January 27, 2017, 10:57:08 am »
I think most posters on this forum treat threads as conversations...we act like we're all standing around talking. The issue is OP isn't standing next to us and we just kinda forget they're there...
the OP is that rando that just walked up while we were playing darts.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #32 on: January 27, 2017, 11:05:00 am »
Of all the low exygen techniques, this is the one that I really don't understand why it isn't common.

Again, I agree, Phil. After spunding a couple batches, I'm sold. Totally solves the oxidation from kegging issue. Very noticeable difference, especially on longevity of hop aromas in dry hopped beers. It's low oxygen packaging and works great. By no means saying my beer is better than anyone's.   ;D

How about scheduling?  With my life there's very little chance I could do spunding.

It's tricky to hit perfectly at 4 points over FG when you have to work. I kegged the lagers at day 5 and the IPA on day 4, and got both mostly carbed. I think the best attribute though is having active yeast to scavenge the O2 fron the keg.

Work and travel.  One of many reasons the whole LODO procedure is nothing I'm interested in.  It just doesn't fit my life and the way I like to brew.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #33 on: January 27, 2017, 11:06:31 am »
Uh... anybody know where we can find a moderator?  ;)
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #34 on: January 27, 2017, 11:07:05 am »
Uh... anybody know where we can find a moderator?  ;)

Sure...what's the problem?

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
« Reply #35 on: January 27, 2017, 11:12:07 am »
You're serious, too, aren't you.  Alright then!   :-X
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #36 on: January 27, 2017, 11:14:53 am »
There's FAR less traffic on all forums these days, too

It kind of feels that way.  I wonder if the AHA has any data by which to quantify.

This is the only forum I am active on any longer.  I used to really like the NB forum, but I couldn't hang after the last format change.  There were some good people over there who I wish had made the jump to here though.

r/homebrewing is pretty active, and it seems like there are a lot of newer brewers over there.

It's odd that everything is so fragmented.  Even within the set of AHA members, those active on this forum are a very small minority (visually quite apparent at the forum meetup at the NHC, especially in 2015).
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #37 on: January 27, 2017, 11:19:01 am »

Very much so.  I hope you weren't implying that expressing an opinion should be off limits.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #38 on: January 27, 2017, 11:22:27 am »
(I think Dave was trying to keep us all on the OP's original topic, not the low oxygen rabbit hole.  ;))
Corn is a fine adjunct in beer.

And don't buy stale beer.

Offline jimmykx250

• Brewer
« Reply #39 on: January 27, 2017, 11:35:58 am »
I have to be honest I saw the LODO post and never even read it. Need to keep things as simple as i can.
Jimmykx250

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
« Reply #40 on: January 27, 2017, 12:15:46 pm »
Very much so.  I hope you weren't implying that expressing an opinion should be off limits.

Heck no!  What's still not crystal clear to me is whether the OP must always be respected by default, or whether disrespect of the OP is always allowed and even encouraged by mods.

@jimmy... good for you, man!  Just like Denny as well, I am all about simplicity.

Keep on expressing those opinions, ya'll, I'm all for that, too.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2017, 12:21:36 pm by dmtaylor »
Dave

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #41 on: January 27, 2017, 12:43:41 pm »
Heck no!  What's still not crystal clear to me is whether the OP must always be respected by default, or whether disrespect of the OP is always allowed and even encouraged by mods.

Or whether it's disrespect at all or just the natural order of things

www.dennybrew.com

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
« Reply #42 on: January 27, 2017, 01:18:40 pm »

Or whether it's disrespect at all or just the natural order of things

Okay, now I get it, clear as crystal.  Thanks.  Most of use don't usually intend any disrespect -- myself included -- even if it might appear that way sometimes.  We all just need to friggin relax.  This is good advice in general, not just in this forum, but in the whole natural order.

Groovy.  Cheers Denny.

:)
Dave

Offline bayareabrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #43 on: January 27, 2017, 03:01:05 pm »
A friend of mine is a parole agent, and he talks to some pretty crazy people at work that are violent and unstable, and part of his job is telling them the are getting a parole violation and going to jail. Needless to say, this is sure to not go over well with people that are already unstable and violent, yet he rarely gets in altercations with the parolees. His secret-it's in the delivery. He can tell people precisely what they don't want to hear so long as he delivers the message well.

I tell this story because I think the root cause of the occasional conflict here isn't that people have differing brewing practices, but that the delivery of certain messages is flawed.

You can be as right as rain on a subject, but if you come across as a jerk while doing it, you probably won't be received well.

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #44 on: January 27, 2017, 03:13:12 pm »
I like turtles!
... sorry, I had to.  I agree that it's good to stay on topic but i'm not sure it's any worse than it's ever been.
Yeah, Happy Together is a great song.

The Turtles were one of the opening acts at the Beach Boys summer spectacular show at the Hollywood bowl in 1965. I was there.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women