Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Hop addition times to adjust for IBU's  (Read 3065 times)

Offline dzlater

• Brewmaster
  • Dan S. New Jersey
Hop addition times to adjust for IBU's
« on: January 28, 2017, 06:12:24 am »
Just wondering if anyone else does this, and what are your results?
I usually buy my hops by the ounce. And I don't like having leftovers.
As an example instead of say adding 0.6 oz. at 60 min. I add 1oz. at 40 min. I know taking this to extremes would change the hop flavor.
Dan S. from NJ

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
Re: Hop addition times to adjust for IBU's
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2017, 06:30:38 am »
I do this from time to time.  I have done this especially for hop-blast beers where all the IBUs and flavor are added in the last 15 minutes or so.  The difference between 13 minutes and 16 minutes for example can be pretty significant if you have a specific IBU goal in mind, but the flavor and aroma impact would be not as noticeable.  But for bittering additions also this makes sense to do sometimes.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2017, 07:59:18 am »
I have played with addition times and amounts in BeerSmith to adjust IBU. I've enjoyed the results.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2017, 08:19:01 am »
Admittedly, I must be a smidgen OCD because, while I buy by the pound, it's weird for me to not use whole numbers. So I switched to grams... lol. Now I hate using strange numbers. I'm ok with them ending in 0 or 5, so that's a start. I also hate when I design a recipe and don't see a green check mark for stats. (I use Brewers Friend, they give you a green check mark if your stats are in keeping with the BJCP). It's like seeing a "like" on Facebook. Dopamine dump lol.

I am becoming a rebel lately though. Some of my favorites don't have green check marks, and I'm ok with that.

Now to try to make this a useful post.

Your need to use all of your hops might lead you to something you like better than what the popular wisdom dictates. Try moving them around, who knows. BUT, keep in mind that you are kind of chasing a ghost. Your IBU numbers are only calculated IBU and most likely are not very close to actual IBU in the finished beer. I look at IBU calculators as a rough estimator only. They are ok as a measuring stick to know what you did and adjust for the future.

Like others will say, the perceived character of the bitterness between X time in the boil and Y time in the boil can be so different that the calculated IBU will matter less and less.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2017, 08:20:43 am by klickitat jim »

Offline Stevie

Hop addition times to adjust for IBU's
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2017, 08:27:34 am »
Fudging it forward a bit won't have a huge effect on the flavor. Have you considered using a higher alpha hop for bittering that you can spread across multiple batches? Magnum and Warrior are good options.

I used to operate like Jim but landed back on ounces for some reason. Same weird OCD reasons too.

I save all of my "unusable" remnants and make an IPA when it hits a pound. I keep them in a vacuum sealed quart jar.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2017, 08:31:46 am »
OK, 2 comments....adjusting time in small increments is a very uncertain way to control IBU.  Also, if you checked the results of the IBU experiment we did for Experimental Brewing, there's little chance you're getting the IBUs you think you are anyway!  But if your beer tatses good and you're geting thr results you want, keep doing it.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2017, 12:09:50 pm »
Good points all.  I continue to respect Tinseth's equation, even if he agrees that it's not accurate for everyone everywhere using pellets vs. whole, etc.  It's still the closest thing we've got to go on.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline deadpoetic0077

• Assistant Brewer
  • Noobie
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2017, 12:26:52 pm »
Good points all.  I continue to respect Tinseth's equation, even if he agrees that it's not accurate for everyone everywhere using pellets vs. whole, etc.  It's still the closest thing we've got to go on.

Yea after listening to that episode, I have been wondering what calc to use for my recipes. I always used the tinseth and have only ever used pellets. I mean im usually at least consistent from what my unskilled palate can tell... which is all that really matters but if theres something else I can use to be more consistent, I would prefer that.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2017, 01:10:59 pm »

Closest yeah, but with results nearly +/- 40% it ain't too close.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2017, 03:23:36 pm »

Closest yeah, but with results nearly +/- 40% it ain't too close.

True, dat.
Dave

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2017, 03:46:16 pm »
To the OP's question - if I would have less than half of an ounce of a particular bag of hops, then I just add them at flameout or to the whirlpool. You get a little extra kick of hop flavor, but without significant IBU's/
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2017, 04:54:29 pm »
To the OP's question - if I would have less than half of an ounce of a particular bag of hops, then I just add them at flameout or to the whirlpool. You get a little extra kick of hop flavor, but without significant IBU's/

I love this idea.  I think I'll use it.
Dave

Offline dzlater

• Brewmaster
  • Dan S. New Jersey
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2017, 06:42:10 am »

I love this idea.  I think I'll use it.

I second that.
Good idea.
Dan S. from NJ

Offline santoch

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Riverview, FL
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2017, 11:17:59 pm »
I'll raise my hand and say that yes, I will move a 60 min addition to 65 or 55 if it will make my numbers hit a little better.  I use the "go with the same weights after 20 then adjust the bittering addition to hit the IBUs" method.  Seems to work for me.

I do this from the simple, naive standpoint of "when my SW says its hitting this bitterness level, and I like/want more/want less", then I will hit that number again next time, or adjust my additions until I do like it.  Is that the "true" number? Who cares?  The important thing to me is its a guidepost that I can use so I can hit the levels I want to hit in the future.  If I can repeat, or adjust with reasonable certainty, I'm happy.
Looking for a club near my new house
BJCP GM3/Mead Judge