Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Just popped open my first homebrew in 25 years and....  (Read 1815 times)

Offline Laminarman

• Assistant Brewer
Just popped open my first homebrew in 25 years and....
« on: January 29, 2017, 06:11:25 pm »
....it's WAY better than what I did 25 years ago.  I did Palmers Cincinnati Pale Ale with distilled water and it's clear, great head, clean, well balanced on the palate, but there is NO hop aroma that I can discern.  As a matter of fact while the taste and palate are nice, the "nose" is rather simple, caramel/malt and one dimensional.  I followed the recipe pretty much to the T.  It's been in bottle 18 days now.  I know hop aromas will fade with time, but this has me perplexed.  My last hop addition was 4.5 IBU's of Cascade pellets for the last 15 minutes.  Not sure if I let this sit another month or just start drinking them up.  Then again, I'm not sure what to expect of this particular recipe. Thanks, in advance.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: Just popped open my first homebrew in 25 years and....
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2017, 06:14:16 pm »
Awesome, congrats!
Jon H.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2017, 06:23:38 pm »
Hey cool, good job. Lots of ways to add/help hop aroma. Hang around long enough and you'll hear a lot of them.

I don't have that recipe in front of me. There should be at least a hint from a 15 min addition. Maybe next time throw in an ounce at flame out.

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Bloatarian Brewing League - Cincinnati, OH
    • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2017, 06:25:14 pm »
....it's WAY better than what I did 25 years ago.  I did Palmers Cincinnati Pale Ale with distilled water and it's clear, great head, clean, well balanced on the palate, but there is NO hop aroma that I can discern.  As a matter of fact while the taste and palate are nice, the "nose" is rather simple, caramel/malt and one dimensional.  I followed the recipe pretty much to the T.  It's been in bottle 18 days now.  I know hop aromas will fade with time, but this has me perplexed.  My last hop addition was 4.5 IBU's of Cascade pellets for the last 15 minutes.  Not sure if I let this sit another month or just start drinking them up.  Then again, I'm not sure what to expect of this particular recipe. Thanks, in advance.
Congrats on brewing again!  If I'm reading your post correctly, you'd like to get more hop aroma out of this beer. 
If that's the case, try adding your late hops even later in the boil, say last 5 minutes or after turning the heat off.  You can also add hops directly to the beer after it is done fermenting, before you bottle and let them sit in there for a week or two (dry hopping). 
As a general rule, the less your hops are boiled the more aroma you'll retain.  Keep in mind you'll reduce the bitterness by reducing boil time as well. 

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Offline Laminarman

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2017, 04:31:34 am »
Thanks for the encouragement everyone.  I guess what you're saying is the recipe is what it is.  It's enjoyable so I'll drink her as she is! Next time I'll just a bit more late hop addition.  Too much aroma on this will throw it out of balance as it's "delicate" for lack of a better word.  My wife doesn't like pale ales but she liked this, which I guess is a positive. 

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Bloatarian Brewing League - Cincinnati, OH
    • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2017, 06:18:12 pm »
Thanks for the encouragement everyone.  I guess what you're saying is the recipe is what it is.  It's enjoyable so I'll drink her as she is! Next time I'll just a bit more late hop addition.  Too much aroma on this will throw it out of balance as it's "delicate" for lack of a better word.  My wife doesn't like pale ales but she liked this, which I guess is a positive.
Yes!  It is very important to brew something she likes!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Offline santoch

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Riverview, FL
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2017, 06:43:05 pm »
Congrats!
Next time try adding a tsp of Gypsum to your boil, esp. since you used distilled water.
It will help the hops to pop.

Looking for a club near my new house
BJCP GM3/Mead Judge