Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Finally about to brew again after 6 months  (Read 1626 times)

Offline 69franx

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Bloatarian Brewing League
Finally about to brew again after 6 months
« on: January 30, 2017, 03:48:18 pm »
So as the title says, I have not brewed in quite some time. I had planned on brewing back in October but life got in the way. My questions are as follows:
1. I had my grain for 2 separate batches weighed out ready to mill (base and some specialty grains all together,) they have been in air tight containers since then. Will I notice any change in flavors since all have been stored together for months, should I start over with fresh product?
2. I had also purchased my necessary volume of RO back then as well. It has been sitting there waiting for me to put it to use, mocking my lack of brewing every time I walked by it. Should I get fresh water, or will this be fine? It was stored in my water cooler style bottles with caps on hand tight since then.
What would you all do?

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline mchrispen

• Brewmaster
    • Accidentalis Brewing Blog
Re: Finally about to brew again after 6 months
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2017, 03:59:47 pm »
1. Bet the malt will be fine. You might check it for weevils before milling, depending on where they were stored. While I am a freshest best person - 6 months ain't all that much for malt, especially unmilled.
2. I bet the RO is fine. If you are concerned, chuck a half of campden tablet in the night before you brew.

Get back at it!
Matt Chrispen
Sometime Austin Zealot
Blogging from the garage @ accidentalis.com
>> Bru'n Water Spreadsheet Walkthroughs<<
>> Bru'n Water Subscriber Version 5.3 Spreadsheet Walkthrough <<

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2017, 04:00:29 pm »
If the water looks, smells and tastes fine, I say brew away, Frank. The grain will be fine.
Jon H.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2017, 04:31:16 pm »
So as the title says, I have not brewed in quite some time. I had planned on brewing back in October but life got in the way. My questions are as follows:
1. I had my grain for 2 separate batches weighed out ready to mill (base and some specialty grains all together,) they have been in air tight containers since then. Will I notice any change in flavors since all have been stored together for months, should I start over with fresh product?
2. I had also purchased my necessary volume of RO back then as well. It has been sitting there waiting for me to put it to use, mocking my lack of brewing every time I walked by it. Should I get fresh water, or will this be fine? It was stored in my water cooler style bottles with caps on hand tight since then.
What would you all do?

We did an experiment with milled grains at EB and after 2 months no one could tell the difference.  I crushed grain for a BDSA 2 months ago and I'm finally getting time to brew it this week...no worries.  Don't forget about all the breweries using pre milled grain, too. IIRC, Briess says that actually 6 mos. is OK.  Your water will be fine, too.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline 69franx

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2017, 04:34:02 pm »
Thanks all, pretty much what I figured, just thought I'd check here first

« Last Edit: January 30, 2017, 05:20:25 pm by 69franx »
Frank L.
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline coolman26

• Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2017, 07:54:48 pm »
I once won a medal with a lager that was brewed with 3 year old grain. I also brewed 3 batches since October with water older than that. Only thing that hurts the water is sunlight. Not a standard practice, but when things happen, I'm not afraid to rock on now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jeff B

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Bloatarian Brewing League - Cincinnati, OH
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2017, 08:35:06 pm »
The lager and IPA I just brewed both used grain older than that.  They were the last of 55 lb sacks but based on what I've read, I'm not worried.  I'd use the water too if it smells and tastes ok. 
I had a dry spell too Frank... it happens.  I basically went from June to December with no brewing.  Since Christmas I've put away 6 batches.  It's a great feeling to hook up 4 taps and still have two beers fermenting in the basement. 

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Offline 69franx

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2017, 09:59:45 pm »
For the most part, I was not concerned a out the age of the grain, just that the base and specialty grains have been in same container for months. That did not stick out to anyone, so I guess I have no concerns there either

Frank L.

Offline nero558

• 1st Kit
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2017, 07:28:18 am »
I had a few sacks of grain and then had my first kid, didn't brew for about a year and three months. But I used that grain up and had zero problems, tastes fine. But just make sure your grain is crunchy and dry and not soggy or moist. Should be fine with the water too.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk