Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: pellicle on cider  (Read 7058 times)

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
Re: pellicle on cider
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2017, 12:28:11 pm »
Seems that I back sweetened too much
Acid blend or malic acid may help with that up to a point, depending on just how sweet you went.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2017, 12:30:03 pm »
Seems that I back sweetened too much
Acid blend or malic acid may help with that up to a point, depending on just how sweet you went.

+1.  I'd add malic to balance it.
Jon H.

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2017, 12:33:58 pm »
I'd be surprised if it doesn't turn out bone dry and very tart with peaches in there, not to mention the likely Brett.  If still in the fermenter, leave it alone for another month or two and see what happens.  If it's kegged, you can still wait and see if/how it mellows with age.  I don't think it will stay sweet unless you killed off the yeast with chemicals or pasteurization.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2017, 01:50:58 pm »
I'd be surprised if it doesn't turn out bone dry and very tart with peaches in there, not to mention the likely Brett.  If still in the fermenter, leave it alone for another month or two and see what happens.  If it's kegged, you can still wait and see if/how it mellows with age.  I don't think it will stay sweet unless you killed off the yeast with chemicals or pasteurization.

Last gravity check I took was three weeks ago before taking of the yeast and was at 1.002. It tasted like uncarbed, tart champagne to me. It is in the keg so I am curious to see how it develops as it carbonates. Unless something changes considerably, this is likely just a placeholder until my current fermenting beer is ready to go.

I am still surprised by the lack of character from the infection at this point. I think it might be giving it a strange mouthfeel but nothing in the way of flavor.
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale