Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Hops Combination  (Read 1908 times)

Offline coombre

• 1st Kit
Hops Combination
« on: January 29, 2017, 11:15:45 am »
Next brew idea:

-El Dorado
-Azacca
-Equinox

Anyone have experience brewing with these hops together?  Would you add any other hops for balance or to round out the hop flavor profile?
BikingBurrowBrewing

Offline natebrews

• Brewer
Re: Hops Combination
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2017, 11:19:37 am »
I have a pale ale that I made using Azacca, El Dorado, and Zythos.  The hop flavor is very nice, some tropical fruit and a definite citrus thing.  I think the finish of it has a bit of "bite through a lemon, the whole lemon" going on.  I don't know what portion of that is the Zythos, but I would expect that it is the citrus aspect to it since Zythos is a mix of american C hops as far as I know.
Risk of failure should be no deterrent to trying.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2017, 11:22:51 am »
El Dorado is a strong hop, Equinox even more so (but amazing IMO). So if you want to be able to notice the Azacca (a very nice hop, too) a ratio of 3 Azacca: 1 El Dorado: 1 Equinox would balance out pretty well. Now these hops are all fruity and if you're after a fruit bomb IPA, this is it.  If not, adding some Chinook or Simcoe would add some pine for balance. My $0.02. .
Jon H.

Offline coombre

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2017, 11:26:19 am »
El Dorado is a strong hop, Equinox even more so (but amazing IMO). So if you want to be able to notice the Azacca (a very nice hop, too) a ratio of 3 Azacca: 1 El Dorado: 1 Equinox would balance out pretty well. Now these hops are all fruity and if you're after a fruit bomb IPA, this is it.  If not, adding some Chinook or Simcoe would add some pine for balance. My $0.02. .

Fruit bomb is exactly what I am looking to achieve.  They are all relatively high in alphas and was planning on going with 50 min Azacca, 40 min El dorado then a massive flameout/whirlpool with all three.  Then double dry hop the three again at end of fermentation and keg dry hop
BikingBurrowBrewing

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2017, 11:31:43 am »

Fruit bomb is exactly what I am looking to achieve.  They are all relatively high in alphas and was planning on going with 50 min Azacca, 40 min El dorado then a massive flameout/whirlpool with all three.  Then double dry hop the three again at end of fermentation and keg dry hop

Sounds good!
Jon H.