Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: New to Kegging and have some questions  (Read 1925 times)

Offline letsdive64

• 1st Kit
New to Kegging and have some questions
« on: January 30, 2017, 06:18:08 pm »
I have looked and found some of the answers to my questions, but I would like to read fresh ones. Thanks

Hi guys!! I have been monitoring the forum for a little while and decided to post for the first time. I have a few questions about the kegging process and I know you guys have a bunch of knowledge.

In 3 weeks, I will be Kegging my 1st batch of beer and only my second beer that I made, my first batch was bottled and after that day, I made the decision that day to purchase a Kegerator and get into kegging.

Now to the questions.
Can I use both priming sugar and CO2 at the same time to Carbonate my beer? Can I carbonate with both priming sugar and CO2 in a cold Kegerator or does that way of carbonating have to be done warm? Is it better to forget the Priming sugar and just set my CO2 level to a steady pressure for the week and a half I will be away? If I do it that way I can drink it the minute I get home, instead of waiting for a warm keg to get cold.

I hope these questions make sense to you guys.

Cheers 
« Last Edit: January 30, 2017, 07:17:13 pm by letsdive64 »

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: New to Kegging and have some questions
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2017, 06:58:15 pm »
 First, congrats.

Second, CO2, not O2. Big difference. :)

Third, keg priming will need to be done on the warm side. You do need less sugar due to the amount of empty space in the keg, but otherwise it is the same deal as bottle priming.

You could use both. Never tried it, might work well. I like to get my beer cold, keg it, hookup at 40psi for about a day, then turn it down to serving pressure for a couple of days. After three days it's pouring well, by end of week it pouring great.

Offline nero558

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2017, 07:14:38 pm »
I generally put mine at roughly 30psi for usually 3 days, I always check on day 2, but it's usually still low, day 3 it's always good. If you are going to be leaving it for a week and a half, I would probably set it at serving pressure or just slightly above. If you over carb you can anyways just bleed it off. The only issue I see with trying to use both is that you generally want to force carb when the beer is cold, and when you use priming sugar, the yeast needs to be at the correct temp (warm) for conditioning. Good luck, hope this helps.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Offline one_seat

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2017, 04:57:49 pm »
I wouldn't do both it could easily over carb your beer and would take longer for your beer to be ready, as they said it takes 3 days to a week to force carb, while natural carbonation lasts 2 week or so. While its naturally carbonating it'll taste sweeter from the sugar still trying to ferment. So in summary just force carb, its one of advantages of kegging. Hope that helps.

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

Offline smkranz

• Brewer
  • Maryland
    • Midnight Homebrewers' League
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2017, 05:33:51 pm »
The only reason in my mind to prime beer in a keg, would be if you don't have capacity in your system to connect it to gas and get it cold.
Steve K.
BJCP Beer & Mead Certified
Midnight Homebrewers' League
http://www.midnighthomebrewers.org

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2017, 05:44:04 pm »
The only reason in my mind to prime beer in a keg, would be if you don't have capacity in your system to connect it to gas and get it cold.

I've been playing with this. Both bottling (bottle conditioning vs. keg conditioning+beer gun) and kegging. (Force carbing vs. keg conditioning.)

Natural carbonation methods always seem to stay fresh longer, but YMMV. FWIW, I've even had good luck with cask ale staying fresh as well, and that's after rolling the cask on the kitchen floor for 5 minutes.
Corn is a fine adjunct in beer.

And don't buy stale beer.

Offline one_seat

• 1st Kit
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2017, 02:13:44 pm »
Well how big is your CO2 tank? I have a 5lbs tank and that lasts me a while.

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

Offline smkranz

• Brewer
  • Maryland
    • Midnight Homebrewers' League
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2017, 02:54:58 pm »
I was thinking more of the number of gas lines and fridge or kegerator space.  But I use 20 lb. tanks which sit on top of each of my 2 beer fridges.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Steve K.
BJCP Beer & Mead Certified
Midnight Homebrewers' League
http://www.midnighthomebrewers.org