Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Message to the forum. from me.  (Read 10606 times)

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Derry, NH
Re: Message to the forum. from me.
« Reply #90 on: January 30, 2017, 12:33:39 pm »
Wheaton's Law, which should be the number one rule for internet forums... and is a damn good one to follow in life in general.

FYI...The Brewing Network coined this a Rule #1 to the Brewer's Code before Wheaton took credit for it.  What a dick! :)
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #91 on: January 30, 2017, 12:41:47 pm »
At risk of sounding like I'm trolling from the wrong "side" again, I agree with the above.  Much like the Hot Spot subforum on the Blue Board, low oxygen brewing might be, in essence, uninteresting, non-applicable subject matter to the majority of forum members.  Perhaps we should do a poll on the question:

Would you prefer the topic of Low Oxygen Brewing to become a separate forum or subforum?

If I start such a thread, would it be deleted or locked?  Is there a way to initiate a poll but not allow anyone to comment beneath it?  That might be ideal.  I guess I've never initiated a poll before (at least not that I can recall).  Maybe that is all that's needed.... a way to move this stuff to a forum that can be ignored by those who don't care.  Same thing as Hot Spot subforum on brews-bros.  If the "Unread" button in the corner of the page could be customized to purposely ignore certain subforums, then all might be well with the universe.

Poll or no poll, the decision still rests with me and the AHA.  At this point, the feeling is that there will be no new forum section.  Do we then make one for batch sparging, BIAB, every different technique?  What really needs to happen is self policing.  And your Brew Bros. example is pretty poor becasue that subforum is imploding.  There is no way to customize the Unread button.  C'mon, poeple, rather than all these unrealistic solutions, how about the easy one?  Don't be a dick!

Secret ballot generated, see link below.  This is a perfect opportunity for all you LURKERS out there to be heard, and not just those who may or may not be dicks.

https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?topic=28653.0
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #92 on: January 30, 2017, 12:46:07 pm »
We should strive to be a dickless forum.
But then we'd just be a bunch of pussies.  ;D

(Sorry, couldn't resist...)
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Stevie

« Reply #93 on: January 30, 2017, 12:48:08 pm »
We should strive to be a dickless forum.
But then we'd just be a bunch of pussies.  ;D

(Sorry, couldn't resist...)
I wanted to say it but deleted before I hit send.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #94 on: January 30, 2017, 02:37:22 pm »
Other mods may be more in tune with what is happening. I know I have seen objections to Bayareabrewer's posts, It is simply impossible for me to police every post made on this forum. If there were inappropriate posts by certain individuals it wasn't intentionally over looked. I promise that.

Again, this thread is meant as an olive branch. I do not mean to offend anyone, including Bryan and Derek. I appreciate everyone's contributions. This is a great airing of grievances. I hope we can all move along. Anything dumb I have done or said, please accept my apologies. As far as I am concerned I am starting over and I would appreciate if we all started over now.
I had an ex who would thrash me with the olive branch. Hence ex... we don't speak her name

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #95 on: January 30, 2017, 02:41:25 pm »
Yet another thread that is falling apart into argumentation. Why?

This is why I mostly stopped posting here. Keith holds out an olive branch, asks for peace, and everyone wants to air their grievances, yet again. This is so painful to watch as I have met and interacted with many of you. It's disappointing.

The mods have an impossible job, that is contributing their experiences and opinions (which many value), as well as trying to maintain some semblance of order and propriety. This forum has been and remains a wonderful source of information - and deep experiences with all kinds of brewing. LODO isn't the first controversy that aired out here.

Imagine being a new brewer, asking a question and watching answers devolve into chaos. You would either walk away and never participate, or assume this is how the AHA and it's members communicate. God help them if they read some of the more controversial threads.

Mods - thank all of you for the hard work. The rest of us should take the earlier advice to look at our posts, and make sure they contribute positively. There should be no reason EVER for any personal attacks.

All I can do - is be open, respectful, and considerate of others opinions and positions... I have certainly learned to read and reread my posts before I hit that old POST button. I am the king of foot-in-mouth.
Great points from a great guy who makes great beer with humble attitude

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #96 on: January 30, 2017, 02:47:10 pm »
Well, I just finished reading all of this. You guys owe me 15 minutes of my life back.

I'd suggest NOT creating division of the former just to appease, it will only cement the division. I think this will pass, or we'll all just kinda walk away. Up to everyone on which happens

Offline lupulus

• Brewer
  • Think like a proton, stay positive!
« Reply #97 on: January 30, 2017, 04:21:07 pm »
Yet another thread that is falling apart into argumentation. Why?

This is why I mostly stopped posting here. Keith holds out an olive branch, asks for peace, and everyone wants to air their grievances, yet again. This is so painful to watch as I have met and interacted with many of you. It's disappointing.

The mods have an impossible job, that is contributing their experiences and opinions (which many value), as well as trying to maintain some semblance of order and propriety. This forum has been and remains a wonderful source of information - and deep experiences with all kinds of brewing. LODO isn't the first controversy that aired out here.

Imagine being a new brewer, asking a question and watching answers devolve into chaos. You would either walk away and never participate, or assume this is how the AHA and it's members communicate. God help them if they read some of the more controversial threads.

Mods - thank all of you for the hard work. The rest of us should take the earlier advice to look at our posts, and make sure they contribute positively. There should be no reason EVER for any personal attacks.

All I can do - is be open, respectful, and considerate of others opinions and positions... I have certainly learned to read and reread my posts before I hit that old POST button. I am the king of foot-in-mouth.
Well said Matt !

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”  Neil deGrasse Tyson

Offline Hooper

• Brewer
« Reply #98 on: January 30, 2017, 06:25:08 pm »
OK I'm trying to get on point here...Is it whining or finger pointing...7 pages and it's running neck and neck...
“Stay with the beer. Beer is continuous blood. A continuous lover.”
—   Charles Bukowski

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #99 on: January 30, 2017, 06:34:22 pm »
OK I'm trying to get on point here...Is it whining or finger pointing...7 pages and it's running neck and neck...

You are correct. I am going to lock this down now. There is nothing else that can be extracted out of this that can be constructive.