Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Pilsner recipie with ale yeast  (Read 9440 times)

Offline Jo Diesel

• Cellarman
  • BEER! Its what makes me HAPPY
Pilsner recipie with ale yeast
« on: July 28, 2010, 04:58:56 am »
My wife does not like the beers I have made lately and think I will try a nice light pilsner. Any recipie suggestions. I don't have lager capabilities yet.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Re: Pilsner recipie with ale yeast
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2010, 06:04:57 am »
Extract or All grain? I recommend doing a kolsch. Very light style german ale perfect gateway beer for people who prefer light pilsners.

Basically just 100% pils malt, 20-30 BUs and a German Kolsch strain. But I will say this, temp control is still critical. You need to ferment in the very low 60s for at least 72 hours (and preferably pitch in the high 50s) and you will need almost 2Xs the amount of yeast as with ales (a 3-4L unstirred starter would not be too big, crash cool, decant spent starter beer and pitch only slurry cold).

And, traditionally these things are lagered for 2-4 weeks or so. You can skip this if you must but the beer might be a bit hazy otherwise. It is going to be difficult making a pils-like beer without a few weeks cold conditioning.

A cheap chest freezer and a $50 Johnson Controller could fix that.  ;)

Offline tmaurer

• Cellarman
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2010, 06:30:07 am »
What doesn't she like about the beers you've made so far?  What kind of beer does she normally drink?  If she is a normally BMC drinker, why not brew something even more simple like a blonde? 

Offline madscientist

• Brewer
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2010, 06:34:03 am »
Homebrewed since 2010

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2010, 09:44:52 am »
My wife does not like the beers I have made lately and think I will try a nice light pilsner. Any recipie suggestions. I don't have lager capabilities yet.

No matter what the recipe, you'll need to be able to ferment cool (maybe high 50s, low 60s-not  as cold as a lager) and cold condition the beer after it's done in order to produce a similar beer.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2010, 10:12:33 am »

No matter what the recipe, you'll need to be able to ferment cool (maybe high 50s, low 60s-not  as cold as a lager) and cold condition the beer after it's done in order to produce a similar beer.

+1

As Denny and majorvices have indicated...

The fermentation process is the most critical part of the beer making process.  The best wort in the world won't make good beer if it's not properly fermented. 

Where and what temp are you fermenting your ales? 

A cellar is an ideal spot to ferment especially during the winter months but even then depending on where you live can be too warm.  Let us know.
Ron Price

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2010, 10:27:15 am »
you could also use the white labs sanfrancisco lager yeast.  i think it is 810.  i have used it when i had some difficulty controlling temp.  it will tolerate a little warmer temp.  i still think you are better off getting the temp problem fixed first as i wasn't happy with how it turned out.
Don AHA member

Offline Jo Diesel

• Cellarman
  • BEER! Its what makes me HAPPY
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2010, 10:57:16 am »
I have a grease pit in my barn and right now it is pushing 70 right now. usually it is 60 to 65. I might just have to wait till we get a few cool nights to get it cooled back down.  I do all grain 15 gallon batches.
Would any one use sugar in a Pils to dry it out a little more?

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2010, 11:14:10 am »

Nope.  Just a long low temp mash.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2010, 06:37:15 am »
I have a grease pit in my barn and right now it is pushing 70 right now. usually it is 60 to 65. I might just have to wait till we get a few cool nights to get it cooled back down.  I do all grain 15 gallon batches.

You can fabricate a cheap swamp cooler to get the temps down where you need them. 70 degrees ambient is too warm for anything save Saisons and some belgians.

Offline The Professor

• Brewmaster
  • "In the next life, you're on your own"
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2010, 06:01:20 pm »

Right.  The cold conditioning is, I think,  a very important factor here. 
I've made plenty of bastard lagers/pilseners for special occasions where it was a mainly BMC crowd, by using WY1056 and fermenting at my ambient basement temperature (60°F);   I had really good results even when I opted to use sugar to keep things on the light side  color-wise.   I'm convinced that the cold aging really helped bring the illusion together.
AL
New Brunswick, NJ
[499.6, 101.2] Apparent Rennerian
Homebrewer since July 1971