Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Bayite Liquid Pump Info  (Read 2909 times)

Offline MrDonde

• Cellarman
  • Aspiring Brewmaster
    • Snow Lion Brewing
Bayite Liquid Pump Info
« on: January 30, 2017, 08:41:07 pm »
Hello,

I recently purchased a bayite circulation pump to transfer liquid from keggle to keggle and to sparge. However when I tried to use the pump it wouldn't pump anything. I am sure I have the connections in the outlet and intake correctly but I was wondering what is the correct method to get it pumping.

I connected the pump to my keggles, started the pump, then released the valve to let the liquid flow into the pump. That resulted in no pumping. So any tutorials or tips would be a huge help.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01G305PK0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I posted a link to the Amazon page for the pump I purchased.
-Donde

Offline natebrews

• Brewer
Re: Bayite Liquid Pump Info
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2017, 08:45:19 pm »
Well, I don't know anything about that pump, but with my Chugger you have to prime it before it can pump.  This means that the pump needs to be below the level of the wort you are trying to move around.  The other thing is that I have found that if the pump is running that it won't prime. 

Have you tried just opening up the valve, then turning the pump on after it has filled with liquid from the source?
Risk of failure should be no deterrent to trying.

Offline BrewWright

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2017, 10:48:18 pm »
I have this exact pump.   I was hesitant when I bought it due to its low gpm,  however it said it could handle 9' of head so as long as I want pumping it upstairs I should be good.   
I literally hooked mine up tonight,  it did work,  but slow.   Like,  slow.   Tonight was only a test run and I didn't have any sparge so the slowness might be perfect,  but as of yet,  I question it.
Your issue is that you turned it on first.   Pumps run on what's called an impeller,  a small plastic or rubber propeller looking device inside the unit. It is highly recommended you don't run them dry,  meaning without liquid at the impeller.   This is because if the impeller gets to hot,  it can warp and damage the seals that make it have suction.   That said,  you have to either,  prime your pump with liquid from what is going to be pumped to the pump.   It will NOT pull the liquid if there is air between the two, or it might eventually,  but more likely you will break the pump.   The better option is to set you pump at a level less than the top of your water line,  like on the same plain or lower your kettle is on,  open the valve and let the liquid gravity flow to the pump,  open the valve to the next kettle it's going to,  let the liquid equalize and then plug in the pump, it will take about 10seconds and you will hear the pump actuate and start taking the load, it will then start pumping the liquid properly.   It is a slow pump,  like 15 min to pump 5 gallons.   It says 2 gal per min,  but I don't buy it.   Earlier I mentioned the pump is rated for 9 feet of head,  this is a term meaning the uphill distance the pump will move liquid,  so if you locate you pump a few feet or even inches lower then your supply keg, as long as your not pumping it 9feet up,  you setup will should work.
On this pump your input is the lower one,  and the output is the one pointing up.  Hope this helps.   Happy brewing.

Offline MrDonde

• Cellarman
  • Aspiring Brewmaster
    • Snow Lion Brewing
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2017, 11:04:24 pm »
I have this exact pump.   I was hesitant when I bought it due to its low gpm,  however it said it could handle 9' of head so as long as I want pumping it upstairs I should be good.   
I literally hooked mine up tonight,  it did work,  but slow.   Like,  slow.   Tonight was only a test run and I didn't have any sparge so the slowness might be perfect,  but as of yet,  I question it.
Your issue is that you turned it on first.   Pumps run on what's called an impeller,  a small plastic or rubber propeller looking device inside the unit. It is highly recommended you don't run them dry,  meaning without liquid at the impeller.   This is because if the impeller gets to hot,  it can warp and damage the seals that make it have suction.   That said,  you have to either,  prime your pump with liquid from what is going to be pumped to the pump.   It will NOT pull the liquid if there is air between the two, or it might eventually,  but more likely you will break the pump.   The better option is to set you pump at a level less than the top of your water line,  like on the same plain or lower your kettle is on,  open the valve and let the liquid gravity flow to the pump,  open the valve to the next kettle it's going to,  let the liquid equalize and then plug in the pump, it will take about 10seconds and you will hear the pump actuate and start taking the load, it will then start pumping the liquid properly.   It is a slow pump,  like 15 min to pump 5 gallons.   It says 2 gal per min,  but I don't buy it.   Earlier I mentioned the pump is rated for 9 feet of head,  this is a term meaning the uphill distance the pump will move liquid,  so if you locate you pump a few feet or even inches lower then your supply keg, as long as your not pumping it 9feet up,  you setup will should work.
On this pump your input is the lower one,  and the output is the one pointing up.  Hope this helps.   Happy brewing.

Awesome, I will give it a test run later in the week using the info you posted.

Thank you so much for the information!
-Donde

Offline BrewWright

• 1st Kit
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2017, 11:48:41 pm »
Good luck

Offline BrewWright

• 1st Kit
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2017, 08:13:38 pm »
So I mentioned in an earlier post about how I set my pump up and it worked okay but super slow.   I also had yet to run the pump with my copper pipe sparge filter.   I got everything hooked up.   I used water only mostly as a test run looking for leak issues and the pump wouldn't pull the water from the sparge filter (3/4" copper thin wall pipe with a million slices cut in the bottom)   I think the pump sucks...  Or doesn't actually.   It sucks cause it doesn't suck.  I have another old one I'm going to put in the system.