Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Hopshot IBU Calculator - For Late Kettle Additions  (Read 4699 times)

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
Re: Hopshot IBU Calculator - For Late Kettle Additions
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2017, 02:43:14 pm »
I haven't used them yet, but here is where I got my varietal hop extracts:

http://www.farmhousebrewingsupply.com/ibu-injectors/

Are these the ones you use for late or keg hopping, I assume?
Right. I've tried late hopping with the generic hop shot and got no significant hop flavor or aroma from it.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

With my process and methods, I do get a noticeable aroma from the hop extract even when added at 60 minutes.
Just another data point.

Good aromas, though? These are the ones you use?

I use a generic bittering one for most of my beers. My best descriptor is tastes like hops 8). No I don't know I add at 60 and there is a hint of floral character for me, its actually really nice and subtle, its great in styles that only call for a 60 minute bittering addition.
I agree. Sounds like we're talking about two sides of the same coin. I was specifically testing it as a late and dry hop addition. The non-varietal stuff just tastes like generic "hops". It doesn't add anything worthwhile when used later than a 60-minute addition in something like an APA or IPA, IMO.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2017, 03:32:47 pm »
I should've worded the question better. I don't care for hop shot used after 60 mins (been there, done that). I was wondering if Bryan uses/has used the new varietal stuff late, and his impressions.
Jon H.

The Beerery

« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2017, 04:30:32 pm »
Ahh.  I use "hop shot" (oh boy do I have a story about that!) at 60, then real hops for finishing/whirlpool. Then a custom liquid dryhop for dry hopping. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk