Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Fall and winter beers  (Read 4454 times)

Offline vancebarnes

• 1st Kit
Re: Fall and winter beers
« Reply #30 on: September 19, 2018, 09:24:34 am »
I'm looking for a solid English Porter recipe.
Just take your regular English Porter recipe and freeze it.

;D
Cue the endless Spongebob laughter fit...

As to Denny's BVIP I'm curious. Might have to try that out. I assume the base beer is fantastic without the bourbon or vanilla
Actually the base is very good without the bourbon and vanilla.  I much prefer it.
A couple years ago I got more than my fair share of BVIP when judging the second round of NHC.  It was very popular that year.

I have to admit that I pretty much burned out on the bourbon and vanilla, as have most of my friends who received it at Christmas for many years.  Fortunately, the porter alone is delicious, or with coffee if you're into that.

Recipe is here....http://wiki.homebrewersassociation.org/BourbonVanillaImperialPorter

I like it with the vanilla and without.  The balance goes toward the roasty without the vanilla as it is a natural sweetener and takes the edge off the roasty.  It is a great grain bill for dark beers.  I've scaled it down and made a dark mild with it even.  Much to Denny's dismay I'm sure. (Life starts at 1.060)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #31 on: September 19, 2018, 10:04:36 am »
I like it with the vanilla and without.  The balance goes toward the roasty without the vanilla as it is a natural sweetener and takes the edge off the roasty.  It is a great grain bill for dark beers.  I've scaled it down and made a dark mild with it even.  Much to Denny's dismay I'm sure. (Life starts at 1.060)

Actually, both Drew and I are big fans of session beers.  That sig line is from 20+ years ago, when I could drink like a young(er) man!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Joseph Wilson

• 1st Kit
« Reply #32 on: September 21, 2018, 10:29:30 am »
It doesn't actually get cold here, but I'm brewing 3 big beers in a row for "winter".

Bottling my barleywine next weekend.
Then I'm brewing a belgian quad and after that a RIS with vanilla, tanks beans and cocoa nibs. I'm about a month behind on my production schedule but guess that'll leave plenty for next winter.