Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Use of mini-regulators with standard CO2 tank  (Read 2208 times)

Offline formula155

• 1st Kit
Use of mini-regulators with standard CO2 tank
« on: January 18, 2017, 10:53:12 am »
I currently have a standard CO2 tank and regulator setup, but want to start being able to pressurize three different kegs to different pressures. A full three way regulator setup looks very bulky and would be very awkward to get into my kegerator. Is there any way to adapt one of the various mini regulators that are normally used with a small cartridge for a setup like this? Basically I think I need something that can thread into the mini regulator on one side and then thread onto a gas line coming from my existing regulator on the other,

Thanks.

Offline WattsOnTap

• Cellarman
  • Maryland (The People's Republic of)
Re: Use of mini-regulators with standard CO2 tank
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2017, 01:07:49 pm »
Not exactly what you asked, but here's another approach...

I use to have a double regulator on a standard 5# CO2, and didn't want to think about how awkward things would get if I had 3 or more regulators on there.  When I added an upright freezer to be my new fermentation/keg conditioning chamber I mounted a row of 4 secondary regulators inside the keezer.  Your standard, single body regulator goes on the CO2 tank and is set to a pressure at or higher than what is your highest pressure required.  Then feed a gas line to the bank of secondaries just as if it were a 3-way manifold.  Each secondary regulator can then be independently set to whatever psi you want.

Here's a link to a 3-body secondary regulator at AIH:
http://www.homebrewing.org/3-Body-Secondary-Regulator-Taprite_p_2904.html

Offline formula155

• 1st Kit
Re: Use of mini-regulators with standard CO2 tank
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2017, 09:23:44 pm »
I think I figured it out. I ordered one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00H7Y3JRI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This fits into the mini-regulator instead of the gas cartridge, and I then attached a standard 3/8 line back to my existing regulator, which is connected to a standard CO2 bottle. I can now use multiple mini regulators to achieve different carbonation levels while still using standard CO2 bottle, which should be much cheaper than using the cartridges and occupies less space than the full size triple regulator.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2017, 07:32:15 am by formula155 »